About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f0dadd5b4820e8092d3f4ad3cb3db4a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

helmet question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col-Mas (Scott)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: helmet question Reply with quote

Hi,

I am working on modding an old APH6-B helmet into an X-wing helmet. I am planning to build up layers of craft foam to form the mohawk. I have some stuff that is thin and flexible, so it should be easy to work with. What I'd like to know is:

1. How wide should the mohawk be?

2. How tall is it? (both in the front where the visor cover is, and in the back)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, nice! Shocked Congratulations! I would be lying if I said that I wasn't jealous of you.
Will you be casting your mohawk in fiberglass? I think that there is at least one other person in the Rebel Legion who could be interested in buying a cast if you would be willing to make them.

I estimate that the strip on top should be less than 2 inches wide, maybe 1 3/4". The height over the visor cover no more than 1/2" in the center - that may sound as if it is too small, but you should take into account that the visor cover is curved and that the sides are sloping slightly.
The helmets used as base for the movies were a size Large. If your helmet is smaller, then you might want to make the mohawk even smaller.
Remember that you will also put a endcap on the front, which will be larger. In my opinion, both RA and DI make mohawks that are too high and wide. Even DI's latest improved sculpt. I guess that they had eye-balled their measurements by looking too much at the endcap.

The mohawk follows the same curvature over the back portion over the helmet.
A curious thing about the original helmets is that the edge trim was included in the cast - including the thicker edge trim in the back. This means that the mohawk flares out along the back edge.
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is your APH? Mine's an XL, if you want me to break out the calipers and go to town on mine I will.

Pilot Just a warning. These are sooooo much heavier to troop with than a Richies or Dreadnaught.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at doing this too. The helmet I picked up is a medium to large. and fits my noggin just fine. But the Mohawk and how to sculpt it is currently my main issue. I was thinking of making it from clay then making a mold of silicone rubber for it then casting it in resin. We will see how that goes. So yeah, any measurements would be appreciated.
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...sculpting and creating a helmet out of an actual pilot helmet must be so incredibly cool. I envy everyone that does that.
Stomper (Tony Krewson)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently scored an APH-6B (size Large) flight helmet as well, and I plan to make 3 different mold versions of it.

1. In it's original form to be used as a "blank" for the DIY'ers.

2. As a X-Wing Pilot kit.

3. As a Tie Fighter Pilot kit.

So some mohawk dimensions would be very useful!

(HEY TROY!!! I'm gonna be in Melbourne in a coupel weeks... woo hoo!!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyranodb wrote:
Wow...sculpting and creating a helmet out of an actual pilot helmet must be so incredibly cool. I envy everyone that does that.

Don't. Those helmets are @#$% heavy! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... those aren't heavy compared to a full Infantryman coombat load with body armor and a K-pot! (Kevlar helmet).

Serioulsy, I don't think thery're heavy, it's just a thin fiberglass-type shell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:

Serioulsy, I don't think thery're heavy, it's just a thin fiberglass-type shell.

When the man who's trooped with one for over two years says "Hey, they're heavy" they've probably got some heft to them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone

Tigerantilles wrote:
What size is your APH? Mine's an XL, if you want me to break out the calipers and go to town on mine I will.

Just a warning. These are sooooo much heavier to troop with than a Richies or Dreadnaught.

I think mine is a large. That's what the label under the visor shield says.

As for being too heavy... Well, I had a little problem with my TIE bucket. From what I read about them, they easily warp in the heat, like a hot car. Many pilots reinforce them with fiberglass or Bondo or something. Well, I went a little crazy with that and my first TIE bucket ended up weighing 7 pounds. On the plus side, it's the only bucket that can stop a bullet. Wink Anyway, I wore that at a few parades and cons before completing my second TIE bucket. I know that my X-wing helmet won't be nearly as heavy as my first TIE.

Here is a link to my TIE:
http://www.jrsforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1363

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerantilles wrote:
Stomper wrote:

When the man who's trooped with one for over two years says "Hey, they're heavy" they've probably got some heft to them.

My original APH-6B comes in at 3-lbs. 7-ozs. (not too heavy), but I can see where after adding the Mohawk (with all that entails) it could be close to double that wieght. So yeah, when compared to an ABS shell kit, they would be heavier... Point taken! Wink Thumbs up
Col-Mas (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now my APH6-B weighs just under 3 pounds. I don't have the ear cups or liner in mine. So even when I add the mowhawk, I'm not worried about the weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say: There are some detailed reference pictures over on starwarshelmets.com. They got to take photos of two screen-used helmets from many angles.

The real TIE-fighter pilot's helmets were made from two X-wing helmet halves + a stormtrooper face plate (and other things).
If you have one of the better TIE helmets, then you could use it to get inspiration for how to sculpt a few details.
The height of the mohawk is in the helmet halves so it is the same, but because the stormtrooper face plate is so wide, the plastic strip on top of the mohawk (joining the two helmet halves) had to be made wider than on an X-wing helmet, making the finished helmet wider than an APH-6 helmet.

My own helmet was based on a plastic kit that was damaged/warped in the back where the mohawk flares out along the neck rim, so I choose to resculpt that detail to not flare - The mohawk goes (almost) straight down in the back, and I use thick rubber edge trim as on a real APH helmet.
I guess that it would be tempting for anyone converting a real APH helmet to sculpt it the same way because it looks easier to do, but if you do so, you should know that you would limit your options for how to paint the helmet later on.
In the movies, the cast neck trim-flaring was always painted in the same color as on the mohawk's sides. On Luke's helmet there is even a yellow stripe on each side of the mohawk that turns a corner and goes forward along the cast neck-flares. You might not be able to find edge trim in the color you want and many types of rubber are hard to paint.

Before I got my kit, I was trying to convert a motorcycle helmet (yeah, I was crazy Razz ).
I was going to build up the mohawk using trapezoids of styrofoam taped to the helmet shell, fill the gaps with clay and then clad the entire thing with a thin layer of clay.
I had made the visor cover by laying fiberglass on top of a clay sculpt. That was not a very good idea... The top layer of clay reeked of polyester afterwards so most of it had to be tossed. Also, I had to fill and sand the piece a whole lot. I think it would be much better to make a clean, smooth clay sculpt and then cast a negative from which to make the final cast. That would also be lighter.
TI-6212 (Todd Hoyle)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: X-Wing Helmet Reply with quote

I must be crazy too, because I'm also trying the motorcycle helmet method. I've worked up full scale layouts of an old ATV helmet in CAD, so hopefully most of my mistakes will happen on the computer. I think I'll end up adding a 50mm wide strip down the middle of the helmet to widen it up a bit. I have some automotive foam board I'm going to use for the mohawk profile parts. I want to use a visor from an old Don Post helmet, and have a functioning visor that slides up underneath the visor shell. I've got a visor shell from an APH helmet. With all the rumblings about R/A and D/I I might have to look to Australia for my helmet as well. I still want to try my hand at a scratch built helmet though..

Wish me luck!

Todd H.
Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
cyranodb wrote:

Don't. Those helmets are @#$% heavy! Shocked

Well I troop with an actual tricked out British Sterling with my TK. Evil or Very Mad

Good lookin helmet Col-Mas! Your in my area, let me know if you need help or anything. Very Happy
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: