About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f9ef18a443bf7de11ec3f84b54c6ad7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tabbard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Preston ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Tabbard Reply with quote

What exactly is a tabbard? Is it part of a vest or something? Confused
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you call yourself a "Jedi guy"? Razz

As far as the Jedi costume goes, the tabards are the 2 pieces of narrow cloth that hang over the shoulders on either side of the tunic. They go under the sash and the ends usually hang below the bottom edge of the front of the tunic.

At the back, they can either come to a "Vee" shape and end at the sash (obi), which I think of as the "Obi-Wan style", or they can be 2 long ends also hanging below the edge of the tunic, like in the front, which I think of as the "Qui-gon style".

Obi-wan had tabards which were more of a "stole", that went around his neck, in ANH, and Luke also had that same style on Tatooine in RoTJ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! That was my first guess. Bang Head I need to listen to myself more. Loreen, yes I am that Jedi guy. But sometimes I get confused. I thought the tabbards were those 2 peices of cloth, but for some reason my brain kept saying no.

Last edited by Lord Preston () on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust your feelings! Laughing
Lord Preston ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi-J wrote:
Trust your feelings! Laughing

I should have. Dang dark side. Mad Clouding my judgement.
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, you also have the cloth tabbards and leather/pleather/vinyl tabbards.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabards are often angled above the waist, but go straight down below the waist. The seams that make this happen are hidden under the sash.
Many people also attach the top of the tabards to the shoulders somehow, to keep them from falling down. Velcro seems to be the most popular method.
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree VELCRO is best! Wink
Folard-Toz (Charles Foltz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I attempted to make the tabbards I made them relatively straight strips 6-8" wide and draped them over the shoulders. When I found that they wouldn't hang right without crossing over each other completely in front and back, I took a angled tuck at the waist to get the lower parts to hang straight down. I also noticed that if left straight the the shoulders tended to slope downward away from the neck.
Ultimately I measured the distance from my shoulder to the waist and drew a mildy curved line shape from the shoulders to the waist and then straight down from there without a tuck to make them point downward. Also to help the tabbards stay close to one another I brought the edges together and slightly overlapped at the waist where I sewed a small tack (front and back) to make a unit that I slip over my head. I sewed small velcro tabs (hooks side) on the shoulders of the tunic and stitched matching velcro (loops) on the underside of the tabbards so they wouldn't show on the top.
Now I can put on the tabbards as a unit, the velcro making sure they are positioned correctly front to back, and they don't slip off the shoulders.
Makes for a neat and worry-free fitting!

SIDE NOTE: The tabbards from the Samurai fashion these costumes are patterned after served a couple of purposes. With the obi wrapped around the waist they needed no belts or pockets. They slid their swords into the obi and since the tabbards were very wide they would often place personal items just inside the tabbard near the obi to act like a pocket. It appears that another purpose for the extreme width of the tabbard was to add a more formidable look and emphasis of social ranking in the society since in their battle armor the tabbards were wide there to protect the shoulders from downward blows. Thus the cloth tabbard reminded the viewer that these were warriors and bearers of arms. Pretty nifty... huh!
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff...now can we watch some samurai movies together? Laughing
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive me Jason! My wife says I "pontificate" too much. I am a great trivia collector, and often just spout off on something I have found interesting.
Oh... yes, there are a number of Samurai films (especially the older black & white ones) that I really enjoy. Let's do it!
Cool
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never aplogize for dispencing bits of history it's the one thing that can only be found by wanting it. Knowedge that is.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Jason!
I am really apologizing for information overload. I don't seem to know when enough is enough (so my spouse says).
The other thing that makes her uncomfortable is how most of what I remember as trivia is usually stuff most people wouldn't even take the time to remember. Unfortunately, this is my one handicap in life. The really important things like birthdays and anniversaries don't even register with me mentally, but obtuse trivia just sticks like glue.
Thanks for the support though! Ben
Norwes Tomlin (Norm Tomlinson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tabbard Reply with quote

I thought tabbards go with my speedos, man I am messed up!!! LOL
Galatians 2:20

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to need to shove a soldering iron in my ear to burn that picture out of my head... ... ...

My idea for my tabbards was to have a strip of velcro across the shoulder of my tunic to keep them in place. I have seen buttons and free-hanging, but those seem to be not as reliable.

However, I plan to have a pair of buttons for each individual strip on the obi. The angle seam under the obi will have a button hole on both sides near the edge. The Obi will have a pair of buttons in the same place (or maybe snaps). That will ensure that it doesn't snake around and it will not be as harsh to the material as the hook-side of velcro.

I'm planning on using doubled material with an interfacing in it to keep it straight (the obi will be similarly constructed).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: