About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=598e2b0e1db3aa201629a918fa98dcc1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP: Kimelius' Ep VI Pathfinder/Commando
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point about items available to those outside of the US.

Most, if not all, of the suppliers should ship internationally. If not, I'm sure someone here in the US would be willing to buy it for you and mail it.

Most items on e-Bay, like the gloves, should ship internationally.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Woohoo!

A big box of floral paints arrived! Now to get painting Mr. Green

and find a nice green Confused for the doughnut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gypsyboy ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is looking good so far. You don't see many of these costumes about.

The following comment/question may be out of place, but it occured to me just now as I was reading this thread. I don't want this subject to go off topic... and I'm not actually a trooping member, so I only see what's on these forums.... Anyway, due to the fact that different parts of the world have different kinds of supplies available this means costuming up to "standards" will be more, or less, difficult depending on where people live. Is there not a spectrum of accuracy which can be (or perhaps is) accepted by the legion for this reason? Obviously it is alwasys going to be desired to have a nice, well-made costume, but if a person has to order a specific kind of material from the other side of the world just to be able to have their costume one notch more accurate than they can have it by getting something local.... well, anyway. I'm just saying.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for the one-hundred-and-forty-seventh time: Rolling Eyes (Sorry for the sarcasm, but I've repeated the following so much on this board it gets frustrating.)

Resources and links can be found at the top of the this forum for both Rebel Fleet Troopers and Endor Troopers, the same links are also available on the Yahoo!Groups dedicated to these costumes. This is to keep the costuming materials fairly consistent.

I drafted the pattern for the Endor vest to help people have the same type of vest with the correct cap sleeves and not the cut-off short sleeves. There are also patterns available for the soft helmet and the gaiters; this should not be a problem for anyone in the world to create/or have someone create these items.

Most, if not all, of the suppliers should be able to ship internationally. If not, simply ask someone who is able to get the item to ship it to your country. There are resources for the hard helmet (aka donut), bandolier greeblies, gloves, boots, and more. There is even a tutorial on how to do the camo painting.

The entire purpose of this forum is to help people with their costumes so that they will be consistent across the board. Yes, there may be some color differences but the basic outfit should be the same.

Be sure to check the standards before submitting your application and photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matter of shipping wasn't really my question. I know things can be shipped. That's not the point. Anyway, it's clear that certain "standards" are written in stone, so I won't press this. After all, I'm not even a trooping member. Neutral
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsyboy wrote:
The matter of shipping wasn't really my question. I know things can be shipped. That's not the point. Anyway, it's clear that certain "standards" are written in stone, so I won't press this. After all, I'm not even a trooping member. Neutral

If you look at the standards, they do not specify fabric content and often have a choice of colors (light gray or tan/beige for the shirts). We understand that no everyone has access to the same things and try to accommodate.

One of my Sunrider members could not wear the recommended desert combat boot, so a substitute desert boot was accepted with his costume. Same thing for some of the larger Rebel Fleet Troopers who can't wear the SWAT pants, so there is a stipulation to accept gray cargo pants from a big and tall supplier.

So no, standards are not absolute in that if your body type does not fit what is recommended then reasonable compromises will be made. There have been a lot of compromises on the trooper standards, even where screen accurate items are readily available. However it is a fine line to walk and as a Costuming Judge I try to do it as diplomatically as possible. Not everyone will be happy, but the fact is you can't please everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for veering off topic. I should know better than that. [waves hand] There was no interruption.
JediZabrak (Lloyd Mira-Fuentes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimelius wrote:
Surprised Woohoo!

A big box of floral paints arrived! Now to get painting Mr. Green

and find a nice green Confused for the doughnut

Here's some good spraypaint for the doughnut piece: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1913.htm

"These Rebels were different. They were organized, they were growing, and they were everywhere."―Journal of the 501st "The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the side I believe in." -Biggs Darklighter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link - didn't think the OD I was playing with was quite right

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these need to be replaced, I thought I'd used them as a practice run and learn how they would handle the paint, wash & drying process.

Bad pants!

+ a visit from our friends...

= washed and drip drying...

I underestimated the dye quality of the desert bdu's! the background is less tan and more 'pink', and the brown is very dominant.

Awaiting snow parka & tan bdu's from q-store Embarassed

Last edited by Kimelius () on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These came out better than expected:

I tried to emulate the dark staining of mud/water around the bottom of these gaiters - hence the use of the 'october brown' - which will continue with the boots upon arrival.

I know, these boots (Belleville Desert Boots) aren't quite right -though they fit so well with my orthodic inserts.

IDF boots en route (apparantly)
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the standards for the color or the gaiters. They should either be tan/khaki or olive drab green; not camo.

There is a pattern available through the Endor Trooper Resources thread at the top of this forum.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also no brown in the standard Trooper camo colors.

Unless maybe you're trying to make it look dirty.
Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the troopers looked a lil too clean on screen

I had attempted to use the brown swirls from the desert bdus to 'weather' them a bit, but it hasn't worked out that way.

All part of the learning curve I guess?! Thanks for everyone's observations too.

I've sent a pm off to BrieKalan re gaiters/spats.

Hoping to find a local store that stocks bdu's in a poly/cotton blend & non-ripstop.

The wristband for the comms & the gloves seem most elusive items - does anyone have a live, in-stock link or contact?

Are these more of a seasonal item? Here in Australia, we seem to have 1 type of no-cuff riggers glove, in yellow/gold or tan and thats about it!

I'll post pics of my pack n belt rig next and await you thoughts
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose this arrangement based on the some of the most visible pouches.

To support the weight small field pack sitting on the left hip, I'm thinking the bandolier could attach to the small eyelets with the clip-hooks found on old military harnesses.

Based on the soft canvas pack worn by the trooper embarking on the Shuttle Tyderian...

I havent clearly ID'ed the greeblies attached to the pack, but I think there is a black hose from the right side pocket to the main compartment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: