About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b93dd5bf75d8677ee3048bb99b3b6bf4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Never Lose Day May 24th Lewis and Clark Landing, Omaha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wampameat (Robert R. Carmichael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Never Lose Day May 24th Lewis and Clark Landing, Omaha
Event: Sat May 24, 2008 6:00 am

Here is an explanation of the event.

I am very anxious for you to see how you can take a part in Andrew Pawlak's “Never Lose Day” event. This is an event which we hope raises awareness and spreads Andrew's 'never lose' attitude on life and coping with a serious illness. This letter will provide you with some background information on Andrew and details about this exciting event.

At 17 years old, Andrew was diagnosed with Wegeners Granulomatosis, an uncommon condition that causes inflammation of the blood vessels. This inflammation damages vital organs and in serious conditions can cause those organs to fail. Unfortunately, his kidneys failed which led him to be on dialysis for 3 days/week (4 hours/day), for two years. Last summer, he was able to start home dialysis; still a tiring 6 days/week, but only for two hours, allowing him more time for friends and family. It seemed as if things were working out really well.

After not feeling well for a few days, Andrew's mom took him to the hospital on January 31, 2008. Initially they thought it was probably just the flu because Andrew's immune system was not the best. The doctors found Andrew had a staph infection in the port in his arm. The best thing, they decided, would be to change the port the following Saturday. It was something they had done before, being seen as a routine surgery. The doctors would keep him in the hospital just to be safe.

During the middle of the night, Andrew pressed the call button for his nurses. When they responded, Andrew wouldn't wake up. The staff at the University of Nebraska Medical Center tried to revive him for two hours, but Andrew did not make it through their efforts. The next day, Saturday – his birthday, would have been the day of surgery for this new port.

While Andrew was alive, he was an inspiration to everyone around him because he never let his illness get the best of him. Never did he let it keep him from living life the way he wanted - right up until the day he passed. He had seen more of the world than most ever will, and thanks to Make-A-Wish Foundation, he was able to get his greatest wish. He met his hero, Florida State University football coach, Bobby Bowden, and the entire team. He even still kept in contact with some of the players he had met.

People would often stare at his arm (his port location) and he would either say "want to touch it??" or turn to his friends and say "they just don't know what it is, so they stare" and then he would stare right back and wave at them. Even on some of his worst days, he would make every attempt, and usually succeed, to get out of the house and be a part of what was going on with his friends, family, work, anything. For him to feel like he did sometimes, and push through it, really made all of us feel, "if he can do all of this, what right do we have to give up?" When we feel sick, get hurt, feel depressed, or sorry for ourselves, we can think about Andrew and all that he had to deal with and know that it will get better – or that we can fight through it.

With people like Andrew fighting serious life-threatening illnesses everyday, still laughing and smiling through the whole thing, what right do we have to despair or give up? This is exactly the awareness that we want to raise with our event.

Andrew Pawlak's Never Lose Day is a Make-A-Wish fundraising event, geared toward bringing the community together along with MAW families to raise awareness of some of the more unknown illnesses, taking lives everyday, and to raise money to be able to grant the wishes of kids like Andrew; to be able to give them a huge taste of life they may or may not ever be able to see. It’s also a great opportunity for people to have a day of fun, learn about Make-A-Wish, and a great opportunity for our sponsors to promote their businesses.

The Andrew Pawlak's Never Lose Day is scheduled for Saturday May, 24th, 2008, 5-10 PM at Lewis and Clark Landing on the Omaha riverfront. Families will be able to enjoy such activities as:
A 2 hour broadcast from Radio Disney (featuring DJ Sugar Bear)
Omaha Children's Museum Activities
Outdoor movie or music by Side Effects (a blues band featuring children from Omaha)
Additional fun activities and prize raffle

thanks!! Jenny

also if it available, they would really like us to bring a table/booth like we had at krypton with stuff for kids

This is why we do what we do - to help charities. I'll do everything in my power to be there. Any questions, send them my way or go to the thread on the Central Garrison boards: http://centralgarrison.org/viewtopic.php?p=23657#23657

Non-501st members can sign up on the Central Garrison boards to learn about events.
Central Base CO
Central Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on vacation about that time but if I'm not going anywheres I'll be there.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Jeff!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for posting this rob really appreciate the help
Imperial 80th Squadron
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime Ian!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up that this event is happening this Saturday night. It should be great! We'll have a table with the 501st and will be asking for donations for pictures and rafflling off some action figures & toys donated to the cause. Very Happy

I'll be there as Obi-Wan because I love the lightsabers at night! Evil or Very Mad Ben
Central Base CO
Central Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to miss this one. I've been requested to come see my Mom on her Birthday.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the event went pretty well. I think that the event planners were hoping for a bigger crowd, but we still managed to raise $62 with our Raffle. We also got a lot of ideas for future fund raising events. I think the threat of Severe Storms all evening might have kept some people home. We had a great time though! Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: