About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=899c94e69a659a3c15e36352e4b7a439Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han's Pants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Han's Pants Reply with quote

I'm attempting to help my husband do a Han to go with my Leia. We're doing the blue pants with red stripes. Does anyone have any idea how to get these stripes (cut pieces of bias tape) on there besides hand sewing? Did you sew them on a strip of blue and then sew the strip to the pants? Or just sew them all on by hand?

Any help would be apprecited. I'm an OK seamstress but I just can't seem to grasp the best way to go about making these pants.

thanks!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Go to an army/Navy surplus store and buy some tapes of Army hash marks. The horizontal marks for the Class A uniform sleeve to denote years of service.

Dye them red and sew them onto the seam of the pant leg. Boom, you now have your Corellian Bloodstripes.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Seriously? Go to an army/Navy surplus store and buy some tapes of Army hash marks. The horizontal marks for the Class A uniform sleeve to denote years of service.

Dye them red and sew them onto the seam of the pant leg. Boom, you now have your Corellian Bloodstripes.

I've already got the stripes (didn't even have to dye them). Wink

What I need to know is how did you sew them onto the pants? did you rip the crotch seam out and sew them by machine or did you sew them on by hand??
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my wife actually went and embroidered our pants. We actually spent about 3-4 days on the pants at about 2 hours a night each. So if you put in about 12-16 hours of work, you will end up with really cool pants! I can not tell you how many conventions I have been to and gotten compliments on my blood stripes. You simply can not always do short cuts on these costumes. Trust me... do them by hand and you will always be glad you did!

Bob

Wedge45 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise getting the same color Bias tape, the thicker kind. And then sewing the stripes on it first, so you can get them aligned perfectly to your satisfation. If you really really don't want to sew... you can use hotglue and an iron. But I am gonna use my machine. A cheap source of sewing machines, check out your local goodwills.
Jade-Walker (Kimberly Dillon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished making these pants from scratch.

I did 2 muslins first using a men's jeans pattern.
The first time around I made them (without pockets) as per the pattern. Then I put it on my husband and took it in where needed. I also then drew in the riding seam along the butt area.

Then I redesigned the pattern, narrowing the seam allowances where necessary and adding in the riding seam. I refitted them to my husband to make sure that they fit fine before using the good fabric.

I found some sort of denim-ish material in a chocolate brown (for the ESB). I wish I remembered to write down what it was. Darn it. Found it at JoAnns.

I sewed the riding seams together first. Then the fly area. Then I sewed the outer seams and sewed the stripe strip down on each side. Then I did the back seam and the inseams. Lastly I put the crease/tuck/whatever that's called down the front of each leg.
They came out great and really weren't that bad to do compared to other projects I've done.
Iowa James (Jimmy Siokos)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Han Pants Reply with quote

Embroidering seems to be the best way to get good bloodstripes. The one thing I would look out for is making the bloodstripes too big. I've seen a lot of costumes that do that. The bloodstripes can create an illusion and costume makers will feel they need to make each square bigger then necessary. I believe, after seeing the Magic of Myth up close, that each bloodstripe was about 1/4 inch high and about 1 inch wide, with about 1/8 inch by 1-inch space in between. Vincent Sanchez has hooked me up in the past, and he's done a great job.
As far as the ESB/ROJ/Luke's ANH Ceremonial pants go, I think the best way to get the right color is to buy a medium brown material and some black fabric dye. Put just a little bit of the dye in with the material and it can create the perfect dark-brown that you're looking for.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Me and my wife actually went and embroidered our pants. We actually spent about 3-4 days on the pants at about 2 hours a night each. So if you put in about 12-16 hours of work, you will end up with really cool pants! I can not tell you how many conventions I have been to and gotten compliments on my blood stripes. You simply can not always do short cuts on these costumes. Trust me... do them by hand and you will always be glad you did!

Bob

those pants look freakin awesome !! Seriously good bloodstripes !! They are such an important part of a good Han costume.

Master--Kenobi (Kim Leigh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han's pants were actually taken off of the old Angel Flights pattern...and were polyster! (Still have my old Angel Flight Han's Trousers..one thing abut Polyester..it lives forever!!!!!)

As for the stripes..I used the hash marks as well.. was able to get them in the browns/yellow and the Red ones..
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Padawans guide... "Fabric - According to "Dressing A Galaxy", brushed denim was used to make the pants "
http://www.padawansguide.com/han_anh.shtml
Jade-Walker (Kimberly Dillon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the book and read that as well. However, it was in reference to the blue pants and not the brown necessarily.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown pants at WSMI appear to be a heavy brown twill.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I guess I need to re do my pants before I register my Endor Han Costume that I started a couple years ago. I do not want to register it as informal. I will be upgrading my other pants as well. I have been holding off on a blaster until recent. Anyway, what I got is a pair of Dickies with Embroidered stripes, same as my registered ANH Han. I can remove my stripes and put them on a new pair. My questions are,

What is a pin tuck and riding seam ?????

If I tell this to my friend who sews costumes and does the work, will she know what this is?

Is there a pattern or patterns out there that people use to make Han pants that meet all requirements. Would a pattern for Riding pants work?

A Jeans pattern was mentioned above, is that the best thing to use.

Also I know there are not supposed to be pockets, but If I had pants made with one rear pocket on one side for a wallet, would the costume be considered informal ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a great picture of a riding seam at padawansguide.com ; I tried linking to the picture but got shut down for stealing their bandwidth. (heh) best if you go there and look at it yourself.

--> go here http://padawansguide.com/han_anh.shtml scroll down the page to the section called "The Pants" and click the third(?) picture. the one of the manequin's butt.

-====-

AFAIK the pin tuck is like a crease sewn into the front of the pants that runs front and center down the middle of each leg

-====-

Quote:

Also I know there are not supposed to be pockets, but If I had pants made with one rear pocket on one side for a wallet, would the costume be considered informal ?

--> Vest Pockets FTW! Wink
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside to Hans pants is that there are no pockets... this is true. Good thing we have alot of pockets in our vests. Cool

Just looked at the standards again, even for informal you need to have pocketless pants. However ESB does not mention the pants as being pocketless for informal... I am sure it was a typo.

Cobalt is right about Padawans guide. That web site shows the ridding seem, and pin tuck pretty well.

Jeff, if you have any question I would be more than happy to help... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: