About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f4412a83d82f1f5f646abf2c1a2666bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

"Dressing a Rebellion" project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great project you're doing. That book would be great for you to have at convention RL tables and stuff so people can look exactly at the costumes and even get a feel for the material they'll need.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun project. I think the most important part of it is the wieght and texture of these fabrics. I had a friend who was interested in making an X-wing pilot costume but didn't know what Twill was or what types of nylon were appropriate. A binder like this with names of the fabric types beneath the swatches could really help!

I tend to agree with the concern about color and fabric availability. For example, I have spare swatches from my purple senate dress but the shade of purple I used is not 100% accurate so I'd hate to have them used as documentation that someone feels they should follow for a color match.

The sample of the lake dress is beautiful, but I'd want fans to know the bottom tier of the dress can actually be a much bluer violet. I'd just worry that one person's take on a costume would be mistaken for the standard others must follow. Maybe there is a way to let people know these are not precise color replications?

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I have figured out is that photos do not render color correctly ...period
...we have had a very lively discussion in the Trooper area about the color of the Rebel Tech's jumpsuit from ANH....
screen captures were posted and in some photos the jumpsuit looked tan...and in some gray...

also...
while doing this project I took a photo of a new Jedi tunic set I had made out of wool crepe....
I had the photo printed...and put it in the book with the swatch of the actual fabric...
the color rendition in the photo was actually laughable when you look at the photo of the garmet next to the actual swatch of the fabric the garmet in the photo was made from.

I have not indicated in the book anywhere that these fabrics are the official version of anything....
it is noted that this is how this person has done a costume...
actually...
at this time nowhere in the book does it say "Rebel Legion" ... Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: