Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c413d8f188d18b383f225daa8f798a2eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi General Rahm Kota
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Jedi General Rahm Kota Reply with quote

Since I'm re-creating this costume, I wanted to post progress as I go. (Mostly copied from The Jedi Assembly forum)

I will need to make an armor breast-plate, shoulder 'bells' and bracers, and hand-guards. I'm leaning toward sculpting the BP and shoulders, then casting them from poly/fiberglass, similar to what Thomas Spanos did with his red Imperial Knight armor.

I will most likely cast the hand-guards first, just to practice with the liquid-plastic, using plaster casts of my hands.

The only pieces I have any firm idea for so far are the bracers...

I see using the "control box," machined from PVC, as a closure key that slides over the notched edge-pieces and keeps the bracers closed around the arm. I plan on making plaster casts of my arms to use as a mandrel for heat-forming the PVC sintra.

I'd also have the belly-control-box (on the BP) machined from PVC.

The one thing I just can't get my brain around though, is how to attach all the armor plates to the costume. :-/ By this screen-shot, it looks like Master Kota has some kind of harness straps going over his shoulder and down to the small of his back in a "V" shape...

If any of my fellow costumers has a good engineering brain, or has any ideas on how to implement this contraption, I'd be eternally grateful. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and here's the ref-pic of the hand-guards. I wasn't sure if he wore any until I took freeze-frame snaps from the game preview clip...

Probly just attach those to the fingerless gloves with velcro.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the perfect fabric for the split-cape/tabards. It's 100% wool and drapes fantastic! It's a bit lighter weight than my robe fabric, and a very loose weave and airy. A deep chocolate brown with a hint of red. This pic makes it look like burlap, and it has that look if you saw it on the bolt, but it is very soft to the touch. The color shown here is very accurate (yay photoshop! Wink).

Also, here is a lightsaber concept sketch I did. It is based on screenshots from a preview clip, and combines elements from concept art, the action figure, and textual descriptions I found in a googling frenzy. Razz It's only a draft and will likely change.

Lastly is a first cut at the belly-box on the chestplate:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another artist concept... It's what I used for the belly control box design.

Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a working sketch of the breast plate. It's a slightly expanded view due to the curve of the body and will look a bit skinnier when it's finished, but I wanted to have something to go on when I put the clay to the mannequin.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent off the order to my machinist. Should be getting these parts in a couple weeks...

The belly box needs to be done before the chest armor is sculpted, as I will press it into the clay on the model so it leaves a slight depression in the final casting, making it easier to attach.

The edge strips need to be done before the arm bracers, as I will use them to thermo-form the sintra bracers.

The bandoleer buckle needs to be sent to my leather crafter so she can attach the straps correctly. It is a tad smaller than it should be, to scale the bandoleer to my shorter torso.

Also, the boots, belt, and saber have been ordered.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made handequins last weekend from plaster bandages... that I'll be sculpting the handguard armor on top of. I also made a tin mandrel to form the sintra bracers around. I did this type of thing with the bottom part of the Kyle Katarn Bryar pistol. I'll dip the plastic sheet in hot water, then quickly wrap it around this mandrel to get the final shape.

~ Koda
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend update:

I made an "armequin" and started on the handguards. These are still rough sculpts but they show the basic idea. In the only canon screenshots the handplates look relatively thin compared to what the shoulder and chest plates look like, so I'm crafting these accordingly. This is also mostly practice for me since it's my first time working with clay (it's kinda fun so far, but tedious Razz). The basic idea is to get the clay sculpts "close enough" and to leave sharper edges and corners. It's OK to have ridges in the clay but not gouges, as it's not hard to shape and smooth the armor after it's plastic, and sand down the ridges.

I found a plastic lid about 1/4" deep and used it to press out a semi-uniform thickness of clay, which I cut to size and slapped on the handequin to get me started. Smile

The pencil line on the armequin was drawn perfectly vertical while I wore it, and along the virtual centerline of the arm from front to back. The plan is to sculpt the shoulder bell symmetrical along that line, so I don't have to mess with separate left and right. I can cast one, sand it down and take a mold of it, then cast the other from the first one.

Next week, the finished lightsaber! ...and hopefully the "chestequin." 8-) ;D (you won't wanna miss the saber!)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking great so far my friend

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool costume. I like the armor on it.
Roken Vanmal ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the saber Don is working on for you? *drool*

Sweet work so far on the costume! Why do you always pick subjects that you know will be over saturated at conventions? Laughing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roken Vanmal wrote:
Is that the saber Don is working on for you? *drool*

Yessir. I should get it this week.

Quote:
Sweet work so far on the costume! Why do you always pick subjects that you know will be over saturated at conventions? Laughing

Generic Jedi - Well OK, that's definitely oversaturated! Rolling Eyes

Kyle Katarn - You're messin' with me right? Razz (there's been like three, and two of them were at CIV). Cool

Rahm Kota - Maybe, but somebody's gotta make that armor. Razz

~ Koda
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koda Vonnor wrote:
You're messin' with me right? Razz

Yup. Mr. Green
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT armor looks coooool....

I'm going to miss Kyle, though.... Razz
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you know Kyle... he's probly on some secret mission to the outer rim...

But he always comes back eventually. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: