About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd3809077781c09cd3458e51d67927baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep 1 Blue Senate Guard
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Ep 1 Blue Senate Guard Reply with quote

I'm guessing this is the place to post about this...? My husband is looking to be a Senate Guard, as seen in Episode 1, with the open faced helmet. Does anyone know if there is any info around about making this/getting costume elements for it?

Thanks!

Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with the Sovereign Protector boards, that is the Royal Guard Detachment forums of the 501st. I think they may have some information on the Senate Guard.

http://www.forcepike.com/index2.html

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be the place to look. I believe the 501st takes those costumes as well.

I wonder if this should be in the Senatorial section since they were the guards for the Chancellor.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EPI Blue Senate Guard is a "good guy" costume, not a "bad guy" costume, so it's not a 501st costume. The Red Senate Guards are the "bad guys".

Moving this to R/S section.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mary Alice for moving this and yes, Donna, these guards are in the R/S category.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for moving my topic. I didn't quite know where to put it, but I found an image of someone in the Rebel Legion wearing a Blue Guard costume and it was under the "trooper" category, so that's why I put it there first. My thought would have been Senatorial, since they guard the Chancellor and Senators.

I want to do a Senator Padme to go with my husband's Senate Guard costume. Does anyone think I can get away with doing Episode 2? Am I correct in my understanding that the open faced helmet Senate Guards wearing blue were in Eps 1 and 2 and then in 3 the blue guards changed over to the closed face helmet?

Thanks for the help!

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Blue Senate Guards are standing watch in the Senate rotunda (i.e. we have them moved over to R/S).

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/senateguard/index.html
Quote:
An elite security force assembled to protect members of the Galactic Senate, the Senate Guard were garbed in outdated yet symbolic blue robes and helmets. The stoic guards stood watch over the massive Senate rotunda on Coruscant, and its members could be found aboard almost all senatorial transports.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/senateguard/?id=eu
http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/senateguard/?id=bts

Quote:
The Senate Guards developed for Episode I were based on the look of the Imperial Royal Guards seen in Return of the Jedi. Concept artist Jay Shuster took the sinister, stark look of the faceless Royal Guard, and added humanity by cutting away at the faceplate, revealing the person within. The addition of a plumed crest atop the helmet gave it a classical look and a historical feel.
Initially, the Senate Guards were meant to be the literal predecessors of the Imperial Guards, but in Episode II, they are seen to be contemporaries. Freed from having to have the blue guards directly lead-in to the red, Costume Props Supervisor Ivo Coveney modified the design of the helmet for Episode III by removing the plume and filling in the faceplate with a dark visor.

EPI = Plume and cutaway faceplate
EPIII = No Plume and dark visor in faceplate
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for digging into that! Wow, I didn't expect you to go to that much detail! I found evidence that told me the open faced helmets were used by the Blue Guards in episodes 1 & 2. So, I think I'm going to pick an episode 2 Senator Padme Amidala to go with my husband's Blue Guard.

Thanks again!

And, if anyone has any pictures, tips, suggestions, advice, etc. for the Blue Guard please post them!

Darth_Eagle ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had been the Ep III one, I might be able to offer some tips on what's underneath that Cloak. Razz No idea what they wore underneath the EpI one tho' I suspect it might be the same or similar.

As soon as I got ~USD300 to burn, am planning to get the EpIII Helmet (IRG Addict here Laughing ) and get this outfit done, both the Movie and Clone War Version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear what you found out about the Ep 3 version, because as far as I know the Blue Guards are the same in 1,2, and 3 with the exception of the helmet in 3. It can't hurt to find out what you know. There's very little out there about the Senate Guards.

Darth_Eagle ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee....I will eventually as it isn't much and I saw from the back. Razz

What I can say now is the most obvious:
The ROTS Blue Senate Guard wore Black Boots that Zip at the back and has slight heel (typical Men's Shoes Heel?).

Anyhow, as I posted at the Forcepike Forum, for the Undersuit, there seems to be 4 versions:
- Movie Version
- Clone War Version
- Gentle Giant Statue Version (IRG-Like Robe)
- Hasbro 3 3/4" TPM Action Figure (Crimson Empire-like Armor)

Donno yet what the 12" TPM one wore under his Cloak (Ugh! Another 12" Figure I MUST get some day....).

Anyhow, it won't hurt to just choose whichever you prefer. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "movie version" junkie, since it's the movies I'm the biggest fan of...the movies started everything else! Wink So, movie version all the way.

Thanks for that picture.

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only note from FIDM is that the episode 3 version isn't bright blue like the movie/figures make it look like. The velvet cloak was really a darker smokey blue/grey.

That's it, really. I eventually want to do an Episode 1, but that's pretty far down "the list."

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I always appreciate people who've seen a costume with their own eyes. Film and lighting always change how something looks. Like with the AOTC Padme Senate Address gown, it is described by Trisha as "inky blue velvet". In the scene, the dress looks almost black, and in the exhibit pics, it looks purple!

Darth_Eagle ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the darn Strong Orange/Yellow UV Filtered Spotlight (or the Exhibition Hall being under illuminated to give the right mood). Wink

They changed a LOT of things and the example I always used to illustrate this problem is the LOTR Galadhrim Armor's Cloak. Blue in the movie (color filter) AND under the Orange Spotlight but when I saw it under the White House Light, it's Grey with Blueish Hue.

And of course, Flash also will lighten color (tho' they're good for bringing out details) so that's another problem with using fan photos as references.

Ya, I still wish I had put myself together and try to color code the various costumes back then. Bang Head I already got the DMC Threads Color Code Booklet.
And of course discover the "Tissue Paper" Filter method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: