About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=56cf2621f5b05eb85e351dc238b9ee75Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ATTN: Canadian Pilots
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: ATTN: Canadian Pilots Reply with quote

I got a day off work and started doodling with squadron logo ideas. We are getting close enough to be able to form our own squadron, so I figure now is a good time to get the logo settled.

Actually I've been playing with a lot of different ideas, but it fell into place for me today and I finally found a design that I liked.

It is based on the RCAF roundel, but with an added Rebel twist. I kinda like the Maple Leaf merged with the Rebel "bird", it gives the appearance of claws!

The design is a classic, it dates back to World War I with the Royal Air Force, and was in use by the Canadians (with the maple leaf centre) since 1924.

Another thing going for it, like our Base logo, is it is text-free, so we don't need to worry about language. I am also a fan of clean and simple designs, that really stand out.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... you saw claws... I saw demon... not something I'd want to wear... good idea though... it'd be better maybe if a name wear applied first for the Canadian pilots... then perhaps the "patch" would come from that...
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I saw the same thing initially...a demon.

Have you thought of looking at our own Canadian logos? For instance the logo for 8 Wing Trenton is:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8wing/

I know these are more like crests, but we also have our share of animal themed detachments and etc.

Heres some examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._407_Squadron_RCAF

http://rcaf.com/kitshop/cafrcafsquadronpatchcollection-p-1055.html

Some Wiki information for CFB Trentons Squadrons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Trenton

I agree with Grey Starr as well...perhaps the logo can be decided after the name is. Feel free to start a thread guys and start throwing around some possibilities!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did research various squadron logos, hence my hitting on the old RCAF roundel.

As for the name, I do believe one was submitted ages ago to the RL Starfleet Command for Canada, Cairoka Squadron. At the very least the name should have been "held" giving us first dibs on it.

Of course that was awhile ago and the only pilots up here then was me and Marie Claude!

I still don't see the demon analogy really, but obviously my idea isn't going to fly (no pun intended) so I'll withdraw it. Sorry.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
Cprav (Justine MacDonald)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Roundel idea. What about using this idea but instead of trying to work in the Maple Leaf, just have the Rebel bird?
Facebook
Twitter: AuroraLee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just a red Rebel bird could be used by the British, the Australians and the New Zealand groups as well, as they all use the roundel motif for their air force.

OK, so how about this then:

Much closer to the original RCAF design, plus our existing logo, with the Rebel part done in a lighter shade to keep the overall appearance closer to the original as well.

― Wedge Antilles
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woofer wrote:
As for the name, I do believe one was submitted ages ago to the RL Starfleet Command for Canada, Cairoka Squadron. At the very least the name should have been "held" giving us first dibs on it.

Of course that was awhile ago and the only pilots up here then was me and Marie Claude!\

I have actually not seen any reference to that, especially in tha past couple years.

Since there are more pilots now I do suggest starting a tthread, suggesting that Cairoka name and where its from etc and get the ball rolling for the name first, then perhaps rather than a gerneric logo we can have something unique, especially if any other detachments roll in, like Jedi, Royalty etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woofer wrote:

Much prettier... Roundels are not for patches traditionaly... they are on the planes... Smile but I still like this one! How about Red bird and Blue leaf?

Down below there is a thread already about starting a squadron... in it I suggested "Roaring Wampa Squadron!"... I like the "Northern" feel of having Wampa in the name... Laughing

I know! "North of Echo Squadron"... haha...
Cprav (Justine MacDonald)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that design better! Smile
Facebook
Twitter: AuroraLee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSMI 2/2008: Note from the Hawkbat SCO

Hawkbats, I just wanted to take this time and thank each and every one of you for doing your part in making the event great. I have had nothing but compliments on the quality of your costumes and the level of professionalism that you all displayed during the event. You guys made me proud out there! I am getting information requests from people planning a future pilot costume as we speak! Thumbs up

Hopefully this will be the first of many events where a few bases can get together and have a good showing of the orange! Thanks to John from Canada (He drove and was awesome!), and Erik and Justin from Alderaan Base for helping out! Extra big thanks to Andrea & Mary Alice for getting the whole thing set up and keeping us all on target!

Rebel Pilots... You guys rock! The first transport is away!

Photo by Justin Manning

By the way, I like this one:

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd chime in on a couple things ...

1) As far as I know, the RLSC has no record of a name on file for an existing or potential Canadian Squadron. (Hopefully Ed will chime in if his database says differently.) Sorry, you'll need to start at the beginning again I'm afraid. Perhaps not a bad thing with so many new pilots involved.

2) IMO ... Unit Designation first, Unit Crest thereafter. After all, you don't need a Crest to start a Base Squadron, but you do need the name.

3) And you need more pilots! Always, more pilots! Laughing

IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
the RLSC has no record of a name on file for an existing or potential Canadian Squadron.

Nope, I have nothing. I wasn't given any files or anything when I was dropped into command, so what's in the forums is all we have to go by.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
malarat (Randy Ko)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest replace the Maple Leaf with the Rebel Claw. That way it still looks CAF only the center is changed to represent a SW theme.
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally I think, as said, a name should be chosen, and then we base an image off that, something exciting and different Smile
darth_haggis (Stephen Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woofer wrote:

Looks good. I like! Cool

The only possible critique I might have of it is to make the blue band a little thinner so the logo/leaf pops out more and there is a little more white space.

Flight Officer Mahon "Bruin" Kel'Vannon
Hazard Four

On assignment to Outrider Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: