About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=39b6e418e0cf9ec3f1f76bcdc02932ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Don Post X-wing helmet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Don Post X-wing helmet? Reply with quote

Just checking to be sure: Is Don Post's X-wing pilot helmet acceptable for the X-wing pilot costume, even though its size is smaller than the real thing?
I can see it in the membership roster, but is it acceptable for new membership these days and for high-profile events?

What mods have people done to make it more accurate, or more comfortable?

Last edited by Darth Lars on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, it is.

However, we'll be revisiting the costume standards in the near future. My advice? Get yourself a helmet other than the Don Post/Rubie's. You'll be glad you did.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record...you CAN have a Don Post/Rubies helmet and be acceptable. If you can find one go for the early Don Post ones. They are better. The helmets are too small however. Dreadnaught makes helmets, but they are too big. I would go for Richie's ones. I hear that WILCO makes them, but I have not personally seen one. If you want to wait until the end of next month a forth, better and cheaper one may be available. Shhhh.....it's a secret. If you can't wait....good luck and may the Force be with you.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
Rogue Solo (Marty Richau)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhi-don Aquintas wrote:
Just for the record...you CAN have a Don Post/Rubies helmet and be acceptable. If you can find one go for the early Don Post ones. They are better. The helmets are too small however. Dreadnaught makes helmets, but they are too big. I would go for Richie's ones. I hear that WILCO makes them, but I have not personally seen one. If you want to wait until the end of next month a forth, better and cheaper one may be available. Shhhh.....it's a secret. If you can't wait....good luck and may the Force be with you.

The Dreadnaught is the Wilco helmet. There was a name change / restructuring of operations as from what I was told.

Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex and Bill (Dreadnaught and Wilco) have worked together for years. I think at one time they were doing different prop things, but I generally think of them as a "set". Smile

As Don mentioned, there will be another alternative for helmet kits if people can wait for the official announcement. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. So there are really only 3 helmet companies out there.....so far....that will change soon. Personally....I would wait. It will be worth it. That's what I am doing.
Jedi Assembly
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in need of a new helmet, as my dreadnaught/wilco is a bit-bobblehead for me. I'll most definitely be keeping an eye on the project board, not like I don't anyways Wink

Oh, and Alex of Dreadnaught Indisutries is currenty overseas I believe, which leaves Bill of Wilco Models to handle the helmets and such. I do know however that they are still in contact with one another (from reading threads on the RPF).

Darth Lars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
As Don mentioned, there will be another alternative for helmet kits if people can wait for the official announcement. Wink

I know who you are referring to. Smile I am also eager to see it, even though I don't even need one.

This week I have also seen a post on another forum from a guy in Australia who had vacuformed only a couple of helmets for himself and a few friends, and had one extra for sale. He had cast his own conversion of a real APH-6B helmet. The conversion had been performed with great attention to detail! I hope that he will offer kits for sale at a regular basis.

Last edited by Darth Lars on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be a recast if it's his original work; it would just be a regular cast in that case Smile

BurntTheMacaroni (Ashley Byram)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in need of a helmet also. So i'm excited to hear about this new option

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
StoyBoy720 (Bryan Patrick Stoyle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without giving too much away, will this new option offer finished painted helmets, or just blanks? I'm curious B/C I want to make my WIP pilot costume into a Luke one (even though EVERYONE in the RL seems to have that helmet design :p).

Failed First Dates - Comedy Web Series

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I will have to ask.
Jedi Assembly
Red Four (Bernard Finnigan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much maligned the Rubies/Don Post helmets were/are, they really are the only option for people on a budget. The more accurate helmets looked better but unfortunately their makers knew it, only offering them for prices far out of competitive range. I wont say whether the price was unreasonable for the accuracy (not the record anyway), but fact is its too high for a lot of people. Simple as that.

(Dont get me started on the prices of Richies other stuff, which I have found elsewhere for a quarter of the price).

That being said, this 4th option will only be an option if the price is competitive. Whereas I would really like a size accurate helmet, anything over $90 is out of the question, accurate or not.
(These are my priorities and simple prudence demands them).
So can we drop more hints about the 4th option? I'd hate to get my hopes up for nothing. Neutral

Rose Parade Veteran
Star Wars in Concert
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my helmet as a kit for $75. If you don't mind taking the time to put it together, plus do your own paint job, then it's a good deal. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been wanting a helmet upgrade for some time so waiting a month or so is no biggie .can't wait to see them .
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: