About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f6dbeb7a3de5ca4c58cd9aabb30f6b92Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Vest Written Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: RFT Vest Written Instructions Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Jason Ellenburg, but you can call me Commander Volund Starfire. By the middle of next month, I will be among your elite order as a Rebel Fleet Trooper in the Rebel Alliance. I should let you know that I am, among other things, a little Obsessive Compulsive; in other words, if I do something I need it to be as accurate and correct the first time around or it bugs me like a Jawa working for a used car dealership. With that said, I would like to present you with my interpretation and description of the perfect RFT best.

First of all, you will need to buy two BDU shirts. Why two? Well, simply for the material. One should be your correct size and the other should be an X-Large/Long. The reason for two is because of the amount of fabric you will need for the entire project. I would suggest, besides the second uniform, also using the material which is removed from the wearable uniform for material also. So, let us begin by removing all of the buttons… you will never need them.

First of all, you need to remove the sleeves and collar. There are a few suggestion of how to do this, but if you are very well inclined to tailoring, then you should use whatever works for you. However some of the suggestions were to carefully remove the sleeve by ripping out the stitching then stitching it back up again. You could cut the material at ½-inch from the seam then just sew it back under. However, if you have a better idea, then have at it. Just make sure the sleeves and collar are al completely gone.

Next up, let us modify the front of the vest to make it more vest-like and less buttonless jacket-like. Take the normal button-line and remove the holed material from the back of the non-button side. Now, fold the material back by 1-inch. This should be a straight fold from the hem to the collar. Now sew it down. The excess material in the fold will make sure that the forward edge is a little heavier and will prevent it from flying open in a light breeze or with anything but frantic movement.

The pockets are a little more in-depth and require the excess material that you have from the sleeves and other jacket. First of all, let us look at the pockets. Oh, remove all of the pockets currently on the jacket… you won’t need them. Look at them, though. The pockets are a 1-inch reinforcement folded under and stitched in. The bellows are an added bit of material along the pocket that is sewn in such a way that it can bulge out if it is filled but also looks a little poochy if it is empty. There is a ¼- to ½-inch piece of material around the edge which is used for sewing the pocket down.

Now, look at the way the flaps are constructed. A piece of 5-inch material folded in half with a 2-inch piece of material wrapped around one side. The entire thing is sewed ¼-inch around on three sides (missing the front part of the 2-inch piece) and then sewed to the body of the jacket at both the edge and ¼-inch. You will need four of these of various sizes. So, now that we have the flaps, let us go straight to the pockets.

It’s easier to start from the bottom up, so let’s look at the twins. The right and left bottom pockets should be 5-inches in height with a flap that runs the entire length. It should be located along the stitching line of the bottom hem of the jacket. It should extend from the stitching line of the closure hem all the way to the side seam. The flap will have Velcro along its length to secure it. The bellow on the pocket is 1-inch wide.

The left pocket is more of a diaphragm than chest pocket. It is the same width as a lower BDU pocket but is 1-inch shorter in height. These pockets are located along the same closure hem seam and 2-inches above the lower pocket. It has the normal flap and closure and a 1½-inch bellow.

The right breast pocket is the same width as the normal breast pocket and located along the same horizontal placement. However, it should be raised by approximately 2-inches higher than a normal breast pocket and the length places the bottom approximately 2-inches above the top of the lower pocket. The pocket flap is 4-inches high and has a 2-inch long by ½-inch wide tab centered on it (sewn on the flap that normally holds the Velcro. There is also a 1-inch wide by 3-inch long piece sewed onto the pocket. The sewing is two squares which leave a 1-inch gap in the center similar to a pen pocket. The tab fits through a small strip of material similar to the pockets of the Luke Skywalker Bespin Jacket. There is no Velcro on this pocket. The billow is 1½-inches.

That takes care of the front, so let’s get to the back. There is a large pocket on the upper back. This pocket is 2-inches shorter than the total length between the shoulder seams and 12-inches long. The top is set 6-inches below the neck opening and is centered on the back. The top has a 2-inch stitched fold on the top and a double-wide billow down the sides. Centered on the flap is a 2-inch wide Velcro tab to close it. This pocket has no billow, but the top should be slightly looser than the bottom so they look as if they can hold something.

Finally, there is one more pocket on the vest. This is a length of material along the lower back that is made into three open-top pockets. The material is sewn in the same width of the upper back pocket but is separated by ¼-inch wide dual-rows of stitching. The lines are all vertical, but the pockets are slightly wider than the material. Each can hold an object approximately the size of a pop can (a cylinder 2½-inches wide). They are 5-inches in height and have a 2-inch internally sewn hem. They have no billows or any Velcro, but are sewn loose.

I hope this is helpful for those of you attempting to make a vest or upgrade your old vest. If anyone has any constructive criticism or those of you who want to rip this apart like a madclaw Wookiee, let me know how this can be made better.

Oh, if any of you are really good at illustrating these types of instructions, please feel free and either send them to me, send a link to them to me, or just post them here and I’ll integrate them in. Thank you and may the Force be with you.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the vests had the lower row of pockets at the bottom back. And from experience it's a pain-in-the-neck to sew.

A tutorial for the RFT shirt and vest modifications (with pictures) can be found here: http://www.sunriderbase.com/RFT_tutorial/
This tutorial also appears in the Tutorial section of the boards.

The conversions may not be as "movie-anal" (Sunrider's phrase for "completely movie accurate") as your instructions, but it is considered Formal for Rebel Legion. Also many of the items originally used for these outfits are no longer available and we have to work with what is readily available.

Now comes the next, much-debated question: Is your helmet gray or white? schrik

whistling
(this debate has turned into a running joke on this forum, thus the "ducking" emoticon Wink )
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am planning on keeping my helmet white. As for the vest, I am actually going to be finding and building some of the props that the RFTs carried. Primarily, the watch-tower guard (rangefinder guy who watched the Falcon coming in) had two devices in the back pockets.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Well, I am planning on keeping my helmet white.

Interesting. Unfortunately the gray versus white debate thread has been deleted so you can't read the reasons why some of us chose gray. Sad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main look in the Tantive IV hallway was primarily white. There were a couple of others, but they mostly looked white. But, from what I saw, it is primarily personal choice.

The vest, too, is a personal choice. There are some vests that have no pockets at all. My idea for the vest is also a bi of a test for my tailor. When I do my X-Wing flight suit, I want all of the pockets to be perfect.

That is why my vest idea stands for me.

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the insanity...

Laughing

my helmet is white...

I got all the pockets in the back....top and bottom...

and

also - removed the cuffs from the sleeve...

er...
the above is just for the record...

Very Happy

and...
there is more information here:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/tantive/
Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Phyllis. My bad. Embarassed
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
Sorry, Phyllis. My bad. Embarassed

lol...
just messing with ya.

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: