Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4bfa14d6ed09130dfae3906056a43065Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ALL READ: New/Unfinished Costume Standards
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: ALL READ: New/Unfinished Costume Standards Reply with quote

This topic is the place where all new costume standards check-lists are written and submitted before being added to the official Rebel Legion standards check-lists. It is also the place to suggest revisions to existing standards.

Costume Standards Overview
The purpose of the costume standards is to determine what the minimum requirements are for Rebel Legion costumes. These check-lists will help new recruits put their costumes together and assist the Membership Officers in judging the wide variety of costumes that are covered by the Rebel Legion.

Writing a New Costume Standards Check-List
For the most part, we are primarily concerned with writing standards for the most common costumes and major characters. However, any costume standards check-list is a welcome addition no matter how obscure the costume.

Ideally, any submitted check-list should be written by someone who has that costume or is in the process of making it (research or actual construction). This is because someone who has made the costume before will be more familiar with the essential elements, be aware of the difficulties involved in making that costume, and is better able to help recruits build that costume.

It's important to be specific and clear. A good check-list will cover all the required parts of a costume as well as the quality.

These check-lists cover the minimum requirements; they not a comprehensive list of a costume's every detail. Don't bother listing items that are optional, such as a See-Threepio back pack for a Chewbacca costume.

Pay close attention to the source material. The costume you are studying may have a common prop associated with it but the character may not always wear it. For example, Chewbacca's signature weapon is the Bowcaster, but most of the time he doesn't carry it with him and uses stolen Imperial weapons or his fists to get the job done.

Anatomy of a Check-List
First, start off by identifying the costume by name. If there is more than one version of that costume, put the source material in parenthesis. If there is more than one version from the same source material, place a comma and give it a name.
Quote:
Leia Organa (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Hoth gear)

Code:
[b]Leia Organa (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Hoth gear)[/b]

Next is the list of required items. This list should be a phpBB2 list in red text. Each item should be its own list element.
Quote:
Required Items:
  1. Orange flight suit with altered collar
  2. Mid Calf Black boots (or suitable substitute)
  3. Leg flares
  4. Grey ejection harness
  5. Grey web belt
  6. White flak vest with ribbing
  7. Grey chest box with grey hose OR aviation hose and appropriate decoration (buttons, pin stripes etc.)
  8. Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket

Code:
[color=red][b]Required Items:[/b]
[list=1]
[*]Orange flight suit with altered collar
[*]Mid Calf Black boots (or suitable substitute)
[*]Leg flares
[*]Grey ejection harness
[*]Grey web belt
[*]White flak vest with ribbing
[*]Grey chest box with grey hose OR aviation hose and appropriate decoration (buttons, pin stripes etc.)
[*]Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket
[/list]
[/color]

There can be an Informal version of the costume. If that is the case, you should create a blue-colored list that indicates the requirements for the costume to be formal. If there are no Informal version of the costume, then no list of Formal requirements is necessary.
Sometimes a formal costume must have all of the items listed on the formal requirements list to be considered formal. Other times, only a certain number of items from the Formal Requirements list are required.
Quote:
Formal Requirements:
You must have at least one of the following items to be accepted:
  1. X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration.
  2. Mini-Flares on belt and Comm Pad
  3. Black gauntlets
  4. Leg pockets on coveralls

Code:
[color=blue][b]Formal Requirements:[/b]
[list=1]
[*]X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration.
[*]Mini-Flares on belt and Comm Pad
[*]Black gauntlets
[*]Leg pockets on coveralls
[/list]
[/color]

Finally, a list of costuming resources links is a great idea, though not strictly a requirement. Links can point to galleries of reference images, tutorials, or general information. Links should NOT point to dealers of unlicensed merchandise.
Quote:
Costume Resources:
  1. Chewbacca Costuming Resources
  2. Wookiee Costuming Yahoo Group
  3. Making Wookiee

Code:
[b]Costume Resources:[/b]
[list=1]
[*][url=http://rebellegion.com/chewie]Chewbacca Costuming Resources[/url]
[*][url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wookiee]Wookiee Costuming Yahoo Group[/url]
[*][url=http://makingwookie.co.uk/]Making Wookiee[/url]
[/list]

Costume Standards To-Do List
Here is a listing of essential costume standards that still need to be written:
  1. Luke Skywalker (Episode IV: A New Hope, Tatooine gear)
  2. Luke Skywalker (Episode IV: A New Hope, Post-Trash Compactor)
  3. Luke Skywalker (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Dagobah/Bespin Fatigues)
  4. Luke Skywalker (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Jabba's Palace/Sarlaac Pit Costume)
  5. Luke Skywalker (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Post-Tatooine Costume)
  6. Luke Skywalker (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Endor Commando gear)

Feel free to submit any list by posting it as a reply in this topic.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:45 am; edited 2 times in total
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sept. 14, 2007: The Obi-Wan standards have been added. Thanks to the Crazy Old Wizards, including Christian Evans Ben and Bryan Nguyen, for their hard work.

Sept. 14, 2007: Kyle Katarn, Dark Forces II standards have been added. Thanks to Bill Costigan for writing them.

Sept. 16, 2007: Jocasta Nu standards updated to allow dark brown for the shirt and skirt. Thanks to Kate for the info.

Sept. 16, 2007: Nabarie family gown from Ep2 deleted scene added. Thanks to Kay Dee for writing them.

Oct. 3, 2007: Wookiee standards updated for clarity.

Oct. 3, 2007: Anakin Episode III standards added. Thanks to Justin Monk for writing them.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total
mooglar (Mark Stafford)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the standards for Qui-Gon should be a bit more specific, like the ones for Anakin and Obi-Wan. There are more choices under "Formal Requirements" than for some other costumes because Qui-Gon's number of pouches and food capsules is inconsistent throughout the film.

Qui-Gon Jinn

Required Items:

1. 'Natural' colored (ecru or very light tan) outer tunic with shoulder tucks, sash (obi), and tabards of the same material and color which extend past the bottom of the tunic in both front and back
  2. 'Natural' colored (ecru or very light tan) OR light khaki-green colored jersey or knit inner tunic
  3. Dark brown pants
  4. Knee-height dark brown boots with eight (8) horizontal straps in front running from just below the knee to the instep of the boot
  5. Brown leather belt with smaller inner strap held by 8 silver button studs and silver buckle attached to inner strap with two 'D'-rings
  6. One (1) Covertec clip
  7. Qui-Gon's Hero lightsaber hilt
  8. Long hair with topknot and beard

Formal Requirements:

1. Dark brown hooded robe with sleeves at knuckle length and without shoulder tucks
  2. Light grey coarse-weave poncho with darker grey border
  3. Simulated sweat staining around collar and ends of sleeves
  4. At least one set of five food capsules
  5. At least one of the following pouches: small brown ribbed belt pouch, tall brown ribbed belt pouch, or wide brown ribbed belt pouch
  6. Jedi communicator
  7. A99 aquata breather

Costume Resources:

Padawans Guide Qui-Gon Page
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes:

Bastila Shan (Knights of the Old Republic)

Required Items:

1. Bronze or similar colored full-body unitard
  2. Brown boots (calf-high)
  3. Brown gauntlets (forearm with flap across the back of the hand)
  4. Brown leather bodysuit with belt (ties around neck, metallic buckle, see picture in Costume Resources for details)
  5. Double-bladed lightsaber

Formal Requirements:

1. Two metallic plates on back of gauntlets over hands
  2. Two belt boxes to the right of belt buckle
  3. Pig-tailed hair with tan bindings (scrunchie or otherwise, knot hidden)
  4. Detailed lines on boots

Costume Resources:

1. Bastila Shan High Detail Screenshot

Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Souces Questions Reply with quote

I've been researching this costume of Mara Jade...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/granny-wan/costumes/Mara/mara-chronicles.jpg

I've found it in Steve Sansweet's SW Encyclopedia, the Essential Guide to Costumes, a Topps Trading Card and a Micro Machines mini-figure... does this cover the three source requirement?
the.rebel.agent (Diego J. Arévalo)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are good references I guess is right. But I would address Dingo about that to be sure. Ben
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.rebel.agent wrote:
If they are good references I guess is right. But I would address Dingo about that to be sure. Ben

I wasn't sure how or where to ask the question! Here are the references....

Star Wars Encyclopedia Page 147....
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/granny-wan/costumes/Mara/mara-chronicles.jpg

The Essential Guide to Characters, Page 82...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/granny-wan/costumes/Mara/mara_characterbook.jpg

Topps Star Wars Finest, Card #46...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/granny-wan/costumes/Mara/toppsfinest-46.jpg

Micro Machines Epic Collection "Heir to the Empire"
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/granny-wan/costumes/Mara/micromachcinemara-heir.jpg
the.rebel.agent (Diego J. Arévalo)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough for me If you ask. Ben
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTS Padme Midnight Blue Panne Velvet Cloak costume(AKA Leia Buns):

Required Items:
1. Floor length navy blue velvet cloak with burnout velvet lining. Lining is red background with navy blue velvet spots.
2. Shell-shaped navy blue velvet applique with beads and trim on left shoulder of cloak.
3. Floor length navy blue linen dress (same dress used in later part of movie) Costumer should appear pregnant.
4. Hair in squash blossom buns with long drop pearl earrings. Naturally occuring hair colors only.

Costume Resources:
1. Padawan's Guide
2. Angels of Iego

Last edited by padme911 (Becca K) on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.rebel.agent wrote:

After a lengthly discussion thread on the Costume:Jedi Forum, I've submitted a list of standards to Dingo...

Required Items:

1. Green dress with long sleeves, V or scoop neck, and ends above the knees and green leggings
OR
1. Green dress with long sleeves, scoop neck, mid-calf to ankle length, with wrap around overskirt.

2. Black or brown boots, at least mid-calf height
3. black or brown belt with silver buckle
4. brown shoulder bag
5. Shoulder armor: either black and silver (metallic) or brown and black (eg. leather or foam). Two rectangular insets in each.
6. Brooch: Circular and silver, 2-3" in diameter
7. Non-Toy lightsaber (if bladed, blade should be blue)
8. Long, braided, NATURAL color hair.

Formal Requirements:

1. Luke (ANH or ESB) or Anakin (ROTS) model lightsaber hilt
2. Red or Red/gold hair (either natural or a wig)
3. shoulder armor shaped differently on right shoulder than on left.

Last edited by Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon) on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yimisty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: I didn't see one for Queen Jamillia so I tried my hand at it Reply with quote

Queen Jamillia (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)

Required Items:

1. Bottom layer is a white embroidered/patterned fabric floor length.
  2. Middle layer is an inverted beaded/patterned tabard.
  3. Outer layer is a black crinkled fabric with form fitting inner sleeves under large curved penguin sleeves trimmed with white embroidered/patterned fabric. The front is open from the neck down to expose the under layers.
  4. The top layer is a short cape with a raised collar and trimmed with white embroidered/patterned fabric.
  5. One ornamental brooch.
  6. Fanned headdress, bronze posted holding white pearl disks. Two strings of black beads hanging like earrings from the headdress
  7. Fan of hair just slight higher then the headdress.
  8. White make-up on face and neck. Red upper lip, white lower with red stripe down center. Twin red dots on cheeks centered beneath the eyes. Dark black eye liner around the eyes.

Costume Resources:

1. Padawan's Guide Queen Jamillia Page
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker (Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi, Jabba's Palace/Sarlaac Pit Costume)

Required Items:

1. Black long-sleeve shirt w/mandarin-type collar
  2. Black flat front tight-fitting pants
  3. Black or dark grey vest w/scarf-style tabbards and sash
  4. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots
  5. Luke's ROTJ hero lightsaber hilt

Optional:

1. Brown or black hooded cloak (wool/wool blend)
  2. Black leather belt with silver weathered octagonal buckle w/small back pouch
  3. Palace guard blaster

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:09 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker (Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi, Post Tatooine Costume)

Required Items:

1. Black long-sleeve shirt w/mandarin-type collar, with fold-over bib (w/exposeable section by right shoulder with light grey lining)
  2. Black flat front tight-fitting pants
  3. Black leather belt with silver weathered octagonal buckle w/small back pouch
  4. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots
  5. Luke's ROTJ hero lightsaber hilt
  6. Black leather wrist length right glove

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anasian Skywalker (Dale Tolosa)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker (Episode IV: A New Hope, Tatooine Costume)

Required Items:

1. White/off-white tunic w/side slits below waist on both sides. A white karate gi is also acceptable for Luke as there is evidence in "Dressing the Galaxy" book and I quote
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Luke had a japanese jujitsu shirt, britches of brush denim, all in very pale colors, and his boots had puttees to be wound around his legs.
    from John Mollo who was the costume desinger of ANH.

This however is the only Jedi/costume that a gi is acceptable in. As it is the only costume that has really ever used a Gi in the movies. A Gi is not acceptable in any other Jedi costume

2. Brown leather belt w/two ammo pouches and triangular pouch
  3. Tan pants
  4. Tan ankle length shoes (no laces) - preferrably suede or canvas, w/matching puttees (leg wraps)
  5. Droid caller
  6. Luke's ANH hero lightsaber hilt

Optional Items:

1. Light brown poncho with dark brown trim
  2. Light tan floppy hat and black framed aviator goggles w/black strap
  3. Brown long tool pouch
  4. Macrobinoculars
  5. Blast shield helmet

[/quote]

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
https://www.facebook.com/TedTheEwoksGeekyAdventures

Last edited by Anasian Skywalker (Dale Tolosa) on Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Anasian Skywalker (Dale Tolosa)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker (Episode IV: A New Hope, Post-Trash Compactor Costume)

Required Items:

1. White/off-white tunic w/side slits below waist on both sides
  2. Stormtrooper belt (elastic/cloth back strip- not plastic) with grappling hook, cord box, and commlink
  3. Tan pants
  4. Tan ankle length shoes (no laces) - preferrably suede or canvas, w/matching puttees (leg wraps)
  5. Blaster holster on left side
  6. E-11 blaster rifle

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
https://www.facebook.com/TedTheEwoksGeekyAdventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: