About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f9af6acbbdb2cbbf66efdf28a17d4bdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ejection Strap Interest Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1969LZ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Ejection Strap Interest Thread Reply with quote

As you know, I am tooling up to make some X-Wing pilot goodies for the fan film and am trying to nail down the best solution for the materials to make the ejection straps and belt out of. Just wanted to get everyone's input as to what they prefer. The options I have found that are available are 2" Polyester Seat Belt Material @ .52 a foot (Grey), or 2" Heavyweight Polypropylene @ .27 a foot (Silver Grey). I'm not worried about which material is easier to work with or the weight of the material as all of my machines are true industrial sewing machines. I can sew silver dollars together!

The reference images I have is making this difficult to determine the exact material used in the film, if anyone has a definite answer please let me know. It is my understanding that the way the cod strap attaches to the flak vest is either pinned to the flight suit or velcroed to the underside of the flak vest. Opinions??? I want to make everyone happy and provide the most screen acurate ejections straps/belt; however there seems to be a difference of opinion of the material to use.
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ejection Strap Interest Thread Reply with quote

1969LZ wrote:
. It is my understanding that the way the cod strap attaches to the flak vest is either pinned to the flight suit or velcroed to the underside of the flak vest. Opinions??? I want to make everyone happy and provide the most screen acurate ejections straps/belt; however there seems to be a difference of opinion of the material to use.

i use the velcreo method itmakes thngs easier .
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcroed to the flight suit works for me. At least that's how I do it.

I know people that do it to the flak vest and they have trouble with it pulling down the vest in the attachment area.

Strapworks.com silver-grey flat nylon is what we used.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia

Last edited by JediXXL (Gil Guemes) on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the gray seat belt webbing, personally. I sewed the back strap to the back of my flak vest and then I have a button hole sewn onto the front strap; there is a button sewn on the inside of my flak vest front to attach it. I have NEVER had my straps pull off since I did this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is my understanding that the way the cod strap attaches to the flak vest is either pinned to the flight suit or velcroed to the underside of the flak vest. Opinions???

My opinion:
We simply pin the straps to the flight suit under the vest. However, I have found that by adding 3 to 4 inches of 2 inch wide elastic to the front and back ends, in such a way that it is hidden by the vest, I have a little more flexibility when bending and sitting. Also, if my harness snags on something there is a little bit of give and it won't simply pop the pin or rip anything. Also, if you decide to pin it, a solid diaper pin seems to work better than safety pins.
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use large safety pins and pin them to the inside of my vest so you can't see it. Can't really see how it's pinned if you're wearing a chest box anyway.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat belt material velcro'd to the inside of the flak vest. Smile

IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are attached to the flight suit with snaps.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
1969LZ ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on how you attach the straps to the flak vest. The only other question I guess I have is what type of material the majority of you use to make the ejection straps? The options I have available to me are: 2" Polyester Seat Belt Material @ .52 a foot (Grey), or 2" Heavyweight Polypropylene @ .27 a foot (Silver Grey). It doesn't matter to me which one is easier to work with, just which one is most accurate in referrence to the "film."
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the belt is only slightly darker than the ejection straps, which if true means that they are probably not of the same material.

I know that the ejection straps are ribbed, and that they are attached under the jacket on the ESB version of the costume.
1969LZ ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I would like to apologize to everyone on the delay of my ejection strap and belt build up, but I have had a bit of a wild December. On the 15th I graduated with my Master of Arts in Communication and on the 18th my wife gave birth to our second daughter. Our groups film project has been put on hold till January but I hope to everything completed on my end by Jaunuary 1. I will keep everyone posted as to my progress and will include pictures at that time. I thank you for your patience and have a safe and happy holiday season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: