About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b231bda9bdc941f171334ec20db0e680Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Pilot Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Rebel Pilot Project Reply with quote

I am considering making an X-wing pilot's costume, as are a few other members across Europe also.

Is there anyone else in the Nordic countries who have also been thinking of making this costume? Then let me know and we could cooperate, get costume parts done for less cost etc.
For instance, I am working on a couple of helmets.. one which will become available.

Cheers
/ Johan

Last edited by Darth Lars on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan,

Sunrider Base is working on a group pilot project as well. Let us know if we can be of any help.

You can find more info on it in our Hazard Squadron section of the Sunrider Project Board here:
http://www.sunriderbase.com/board/viewforum.php?f=7

Good Luck!

Vargman (Vargman Bjärsborn)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually thinking of a rebel X-wqing pilot suit this time..
The stormtrooper is very nice but it takes a hell of a lot of space and I am also out of shape for it... (Perhaps a Jabba costume or Boba "Fat" should be next suit instead)

However i have a helmet already (not the best but a DP from 1997)

I just need "all the other things" Very Happy
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and Vargman are considering getting this coverall: Dickies Redhawk (WD4839L) and convert into the flight suit.
I visited the store today to inspect the coverall in person, and found it to be better than acceptable, but it requires some work.

One coverall has enough extra pockets that can be removed and reused to create the required details, and then some. However, it might be difficult to recreate all pockets of the original flight suit - If that is even possible, then it will be just barely.

The fabric is a polyester/cotton twill. The surface pattern is accurate and the weight is not too heavy: 260g/m² or 7.5 ounches/yard². The original flight suit material was probably between 5 to 7.5 ounches/yard².
The color might be a little bit on the red side, though.

I am not too bad at sewing, so I volounteer to convert Vargman's also, beside my own.

Here are my thoughts on converting it so far:

• Required: The two-way zipper is covered, as it should be. It has snaps instead of black velcro. The zipper's trim is orange though, not black. No conversion needed.

• Required: The collar needs to be converted, but that can be expected of most coveralls. No way to do this with a single piece of fabric - there will be a visible seamline, but I think that I could at least avoid overlap. The collar might be wide enough so that it can be cut in half and no material from any other part of the suit reused, but I am not sure.

• Required: There is a "pen pocket" on the left arm precisely where the arm tools go! Very Happy However, it fits only two arm tools. There is a "ruler pocket" behind the right leg that is the right size for a replacement if one wants to do that.

• Required: There are a total of six large pockets (chest, back, knee-protection) that can be ripped off and reused as leg pockets and comm pad pocket.
    However, none of them has any flap, so the flaps might have to be created by cutting up other pockets or from the legs.
    You could of course fake a leg pocket by making only its flap!

• There are two internal hip pockets, with diagonal openings. The original flight suit has external hip pockets with large curved opening.
    Last night, I had this idea to fake these pockets by enlarging each opening and stitch around where the outline would be.
    However, on this coverall, there is another type of material on the inside which would become visible, so this is not feasible unless you add an extra strip of orange inside each pocket.
    Adding external hip pockets will look more real in any case, especially if you put something in them.

• If you want accurate chest pockets, then you can keep each in place and cut a new curved opening in the correct corner ... but noone sees the chest pockets under the flak vest anyway. Razz

• The original flight suit had an crease behind each shoulder. On this suit, the creases are in on the back.

• The sleeves are plain, without any button or flap. The material will have to be taken from unused pockets or from the legs.

Yes, I am anal about details. Razz

Last edited by Darth Lars on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested, but with the green version. I had thought about maybe ordering a tall size, with extra long legs, in order to get more fabric that you could cut out from the legs. Now of course I have short legs so I think even a regular size would probably give me enough extra fabric for conversion. They also have women's sizes, which if someone is interested gives a bit more room for us curvier ladies, especially at the hips.

I should add though that I haven't seen them in person, just read up on the descriptions and measurements.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you're all thinking of adding flight gear to your costume closets!

Just a couple comments ... first off, most pilots purchase two complete coveralls and use the second one for all the pocket pieces. You could even use one extra for every two people and still have plenty of fabric.

Darth Lars wrote:
One coverall has enough extra pockets that can be removed and reused to create the required details, and then some. However, it might be difficult to recreate all pockets of the original flight suit - If that is even possible, then it will be just barely.

Just remember that unless you REALLY have to have them for personal reasons, not all the pockets are required for the RL.

Darth Lars wrote:
The fabric is a polyester/cotton twill. The color and surface pattern are accurate and the weight is not too heavy: 260g/m² or 7.5 ounches/yard². The original flight suit material was probably between 6 to 7.5 ounches/yard².

This is a good compromise. The poly will keep the color from fading while the cotton will keep you from dying of heat exhaustion.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*] Required: The two-way zipper is covered, as it should be. It has snaps instead of black velcro. The zipper's trim is orange though, not black. No conversion needed.

Correct! As long as you can't see it, you're good to go.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*] Required: The collar needs to be converted, but that can be expected of most coveralls. No way to do this with a single piece of fabric - there will be a visible seamline, but I think that I could at least avoid overlap. The collar might be wide enough so that it can be cut in half and no material from any other part of the suit reused, but I am not sure.

Keep in mind also that the collar conversion can be accomplished by removing the collar completely and fashioning a replacement from a cuff off one of the legs.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*] Required: There is a "pen pocket" on the left arm precisely where the arm tools go! Very Happy However, it fits only two arm tools. There is a "ruler pocket" behind the right leg that is the right size for a replacement if one wants to do that.

There should be the correct pocket with a min. of 3 slots for the arm tools.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*] If you want accurate chest pockets, then you can keep each in place and cut a new curved opening in the correct corner ... but noone sees the chest pockets under the flak vest anyway. Razz

Yes, very few pilots have added these pockets since they're never seen. Concentrate on the others.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*] The original flight suit had an crease behind each shoulder. On this suit, the creases are in on the back. I think that accurizing this detail could be as simple as ripping out the crease, ironing and restitching the shoulder seam.

If you want to, by all means go for it, but please know that the crease isn't mandatory for the RL.

Darth Lars wrote:
[*]The sleeves are plain, without any button or flap. The material will have to be taken from unused pockets or from the legs.

There have also been pics of suits with cuffs, but no buttons or snaps are seen.

Darth Lars wrote:
Yes, I am anal about details. Razz

Nothing wrong with that. Wink

And on a last note. All these conversions are needed for all the pilot flightsuits regardless of color. Very Happy

Good luck you guys!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just sent an order to buy a lincoln-green coverall for myself. I could choose between bottle green wich was way too bright and lincoln-green that was darker and more subdued. I ordered a version with extra long leg so I can get a lot of material for the conversions.

Also while I'm waiting to get the whole A-wing pilot gear fixed I can use the green coverall as a Jaina Solo costume, but that means that I also need to do the chest pockets since she isn't wearing a flak vest and the chest pockets are very visible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my orange coveralls today. It is huge! It could easily fit Jek Porkins. I think I could even fit inside a set two sizes smaller.
Time to start sewing! Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is huge too, but I really like the colour. I'm also going to have a lot of extra fabric for the pockets, since I need to cut away around 50 cm on each leg!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not cutting off just as much. I don't need to, with all the external pockets removed. Smile

The shoulder detail showed itself to be more difficult than I had thought. Might be more trouble than it is worth.

There are slits in the sides that I had not noticed before that need to be closed. They provide access to pockets in pants you wear underneath, which I don't intend to do.

Edit, Feb 11:
The suit is wider below the waist! I will make the legs narrower, and thus close the slits and the tiny side pockets at the same time.

Here is one way to convert the collar: I removed the collar completely. From this piece of fabric, I cut one rectangle for the right side of the collar (length/2 + 3 cm × width 2*5 cm, plus seam allowance). The left (flap) side (length/2 + (3+5+2.5 cm) x 2*5 cm, plus seam allowance) was made from two pieces of the remainder. When worn, the result has a visible seam only in the back of the neck. I'll buy some black velcro tomorrow and finish it. I'll post pics then.

Instead of replacing the existing pen pocket on the left sleeve (which fits only two pens/code cylinders/arm tools), I added a second pocket right next to it, so that it now fits three pens. The result looks like a single pocket. Cool
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: asdasd Reply with quote

The flight suit conversion is complete! Very Happy
... except for there being no hose attachment. But I will build that out of some junk later. Razz

Pics:
Finished collar
I only converted the existing collar. See previous post.

Comm-pad pocket
My half-finished sculpt for a comm pad is inside. The finished comm pad will be white. The pocket has velcro closure so the pad doesn't fall out.
The cuff-flap was made from the extra sleeve-length!
The comm pad pocket and the pocket on the right sleeve were made from the existing back pockets.

Leg pockets.
I made all six pockets on the front of the legs, with flaps.
The top-most pockets, with curved openings were made from the existing chest pockets.
The closed pockets were made from the existing internal knee-pad pockets: two leg pockets per knee-pad pocket.
The flaps were made from the extra leg lengths.

Lessons learned:
* Affix each piece of velcro with fabric glue before you stitch it on permanently. Otherwise, the velcro could get nudged out of place.
* Because of the amount of seam-ripping I have had to do and the difficulty of sewing pockets onto finished garments .. I have begun considering making my own flight suit from scratch.
This one is too big for me, so it will go to Vargman77.
Vargman (Vargman Bjärsborn)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me like that very much Very Happy

According to my vision it is very nice work.
I am very fortunate to have friend who can do this for me Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have the leg pockets left, and cutting all loose threads.

For my collar I used one of the cutoff legs, the original collar was turned into the new cuffs instead. Since the arms were so long I had to cut them off, with the result that they were too wide to look good so I've had to gather them to the cuffs for them to look good and be comfortable as well.

I don't know if it's because I'm pretty short, but when I made my compad pocket in the same size as in the echobase tutorial it looked way oversized to me. So I've made an almost half-sized pocket instead, it wil be a bit trickier to make the compad to fit, but it looked much better. I've also made the right arm pocket a bit smaller in order for it to look nicer.

I'm also just going to do the upper leg pockets, since the spats of the A-wing uniform would cover the lower ones anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finished with the front and backs for the X-wing pilot flak vests intended for me and Vargman. However, I have realized that I have made them too small, and Vargman is such a broad-chested man, so I will have to make a larger vest for him. Fortunately, I already have enough material, so the extra investment will only be in labor and buckles.

This means that I will be able to offer one of the small flak vests for sale. It would fit someone with a small build. Please PM me if you are interested.
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there is more interest ( Very Happy ) I think that I should post some more info on X-wing resources in northern Europe. There are other items that you can get on eBay.com or from vendors in the US, but you will have to read up on those elsewhere.

Boots:
I found used Swedish military jack boots in faux leather at Ö&B in Sweden for only 250 SEK. (edit: the store I found them in has closed)
However, completely screen-accurate boots can be found on ebay.de, for about the same price plus shipping and fees. These are called Knobelbecher. You can read more about them here.
I bought a pair of Bundeswehr Knobelbecher in excellent condition for a total of 530 SEK, (32.70 Euro, + 20 Euro s/h + 70 SEK fee for the money order to Germany), but I think you could get them cheaper. I strongly suggest that you get extra soft insoles for comfort.

Metal tools/belt flares/mini flares:
All the metal accessories can be ordered from Elvistrooper in the US. Then you will get pieces that are much nicer than the ones used in the movies.
Atmtrooper in Elstree Base and joeltk55 in French Base have also made machined arm tools that are just as nice, at about the same price.
I had made my arm tools from steel washers (sw:skruvbrickor), obsolete coins (sw:25-öringar) and pieces of pipe that I had laying around. I spent only 30 SEK for special conical washers for the top. (send me a PM if you want a diagram).
My leg flares were made from 22 mm wide wooden dowels rods cut 10 cm in length and then painted. When painting wood, remember to seal the grain first (with e.g. a few layers of primer) and sand it smooth. Wood grain has a tendency to swell when it gets wet.

Belt and ejection straps:
The "X-wing pilots" need about 4 1/2 to 5 meters of 5 cm wide ribbed light grey webbing. At least 1.25 m (or so) for the belt, 1 1/2 meter for the loop from your chest to your back, 75 cm for each loop around your leg and around 25 cm to connect the loops.
Strangely enough, this was the hardest part to find locally. I have been told by several vendors that 5 cm width is not EU standard.
I got some acceptable grey webbing on eBay from the UK, but I am thinking about ordering something better from the US. Please let me know soon if you want to be in on a group order.
I got my belt buckle from Mr Bojangles on this board. It is of British origin, though, so theoretically they should be more easily available on ebay.co.uk or through someone in Elstree Base, I just haven't found that out yet. There is also a guy in the US on the Dewback Wing Yahoo Group who sells them.

White flak-vest
If you buy an orange jumpsuit from Costume Base, you will get a flak vest, but it does not have anything to fill the ribs with, and there are no buckles or other of the little details.
Most people use clear PVC hose for the ribs. In Sweden, good hose can be found at Clas Ohlson and at Bauhaus. The hose from Biltema is too stiff and green. You need at least 7 meters, but it is dirt cheap.
The most accurate side buckles that anyone in the Rebel Legion has yet found, I found at Gamla Stans Läderhandel in Stockholm at 80 SEK/pair (closed until July 27th) but I assume that they could also be found elsewhere.
I have a few spare accurate back buckles also, and some more accurate fishbone-patterned straps and leather. I can get all that for you at the price I paid. I also have a spare Costume Base flak vest, and a spare vest that I made myself but would only fit someone with a small build.

Wrist Comm Pad
You can find a few options on the forum. TI-7367 in the 501st UK Garrison is the only European maker of comm pads that I know of.
I am also working on one that I intend to cast in PVC rubber for comfort's sake, but it will take a while before I have everything worked out and can offer them for sale.

Hoth jacket
There is no source of this jacket... but there are a few pilots in Europe who would like to create a pattern, take it to a seamstress and get a couple of them made. Very Happy
If you have any good pic of the jacket or other info, then please email it to me.

Things you would have to order from another continent (or make yourself):
"X-wing Helmet": Richies Armor, Dreadnaught Industries, Don Post, Altmann. Beware of shady eBay sellers.
"ROTJ Y-wing helmet": Richies Armor is the only maker.
"Other helmets": Skaught on this board might make them in the future.
"X-wing Chest Box": Mr Bojangles makes the best ones. Also tk560.com, RA and DI make them.

Last edited by Darth Lars on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: