About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e09c5841ea5ee35f27124aa3096ce2bbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Patch question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Saval ()
Coruscant Outpost CO
Coruscant Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Patch question Reply with quote

Would placing your base patch on the shoulder area of the flightsuit change the status from formal to informal?

Greg
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do some light hand sewing on patches for informal events then just seam rip them off for formal events. i know a few people here do just that .
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's ever told me that my Echo Bae, Hawkbat and Mos Eisley Port Authority patches caused it to become informal.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way it was explained to me was: If the event calls for "Movie Canon", since there were no patches in the films, the patches would be "informal".

That being the case, the light stitching option is a good one, I also remember some people using hot glue. The patch comes off and leaves no mark, but still sticks really well, and does not fall off.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may suggest taking a small que from the current Army uniforms...

Put some soft-velcro on the shoulder of your flight suit. Most soft-velcro can be colored and blends in with most fabric. Then, attack some of the hook velcro on the back of the patch. Boom, one removable patch. Also, you can fix up a board with velcro strips to display your patches!

Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pins would seem the easy answer...probably 4, put on from the inside...
Master Saval ()
Coruscant Outpost CO
Coruscant Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Patch question Reply with quote

Perhaps I should clarify my question: this would be regarding membership rather than events.
As for the responses with hot glue, velcro, and pins thank you I appreciate it and will have to try the Hot glue method.
Greg

Master Saval wrote:
Would placing your base patch on the shoulder area of the flightsuit change the status from formal to informal?

Greg

grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the question was answered... placing your base patch on the shoulder area of the flightsuit DOES change the status from formal to informal...
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_starr wrote:
Then the question was answered... placing your base patch on the shoulder area of the flightsuit DOES change the status from formal to informal...

Which to be honest with ya'll...why are we even bothering to make Squadron patches, if we're not allowed to use them?

Couple years ago, I could see how RL didn't want their pilots with all different kinds of generic "Rogue Squadron" or rebel bird patches...but as far as I am aware, nearly every squadron has patches for either their local Base or Squadron (or both).

Hazard Three gets to wear his Rose Bowl patch (good for him), and nobody is seriously gonna consider revoking his "Formal" status over it?

And why make people constantly put on and remove their squadron patches based on what type of event they're at? Mine is currently on my flightsuit, and I like it there. I'm part of Shadow Squadron, and I'm proud of that whether it's a Formal or Informal event. Being part of a RL squadron shoudn't be something we're embarassed about. Cause you know there's worse things in the world then peopl looking at a rebel pilot walking around, notice the squadron patch on their shoulder and going "Oh, he's with Rebel Legion!" vs "Oh, look it's some rebel pilot."

I think the time has come to re-think the notion that wearing a RLSC Squadron patch makes a costume Informal.

In fact, I think it'd be better for morale and bring the pilots together then anything else that's been suggested. Once someone has joined RL with a Formal pilot costume, I think the best thing the rest of that person's squadron can do is offer them option of wearing their squadron's colors on their shoulder.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Snowman (Rob Howes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN Krash!
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a pilot (yet) so take this with a grain of salt, but...

I am working on getting a flight jacket for displaying my base, detachment, wing, squad, etc, etc, etc. affliations' patches. This is so I can 'show my color' while maintaing formal accuracy. And I will not be adding patches to my coat for bases, squadrons, etc. that I DON'T belong to (I know some people put their whole collection on there), instead my non-member patches will be displayed in some other method...

Just my two credis.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
This is so I can 'show my color' while maintaing formal accuracy.

But only when you're out of costume, what about when you're "on duty"???

What I'm urging RLSC and RL to consider is to allow pilots (RFTs may want to do this as well someday) the option of wearing their squadron patches and be allowed to maintain their Formal status.

You don't have to do it, but you shouldn't be punished (and many people see "Informal" as a form of punishment) for wanting to. It's making a statement that we're not just a bunch of "independent contractors", or celebrity look-a-likes...but rather part of a larger group.

I'm not saying we need to go NASCAR crazy (multiple badges all over), but allowing for 1 shoulder patch from either the the local Base or Squadron isn't the end of the world.

Matt - Next time you're talking with Steve Sansweet or Mary Franklin...I doubt they'll hold it against us.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog

Last edited by Krash () on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krash, don't worry, the whole patch "thing" is just one of the pilot costume items that Ed and I are considering as we review the Pilot Costume Standards.

(Although I can tell you that if you can find us multiple instances (3) in movies, video games, comics, book covers, etc. that show a pilot wearing a patch would be a tremendous boost for your cause! Obviously, non-LFL fan art doesn't count.)

IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing in the current standards that say anything about patches. If you have a spot on costume and you apply, but you have a patch on your shoulder, personally, I'm going to tag you as formal. Now, if it's a LFL event where we're going for completely canon costumes, the patch would be an issue. But, that wasn't the original question. No, having a patch on your shoulder will not tag your costume as informal.

Keep in mind that as Jon said, we'll be reviewing the pilot standards in the near future. The patch issue will be taken into consideration.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the RLSC just needs to do a group order on 4" orange velcro Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: