About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d4bed148a6dfe961a7d6be1a2b9eedcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Boots - Define "Suitable Substitute"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like riding boots for Pilots, they don't look right to me, and Earth Pilots would never wear them, they are too tall and aren't practical.

But I don't write the Standards.

If you already have riding boots, that's one thing. But I wouldn't go looking for them just for this costume. It's easier to find engineer boots.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hofmann wrote:
The nice thing about it is that if we all start to use those leatherup boots, it'll just look like those are the correct ones to use since everyone will have them.

Oh gee thanks! So those of us with the right boots will look wrong?

Sheesh, all these people with freakishly weird feet, I tell ya...

(John who proudly wears the right boots and find them very comfortable with good insoles)

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you wear John?

I know other pilots that wear "riding boots"

Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erjediik wrote:
Good points. The only thing I can say is that the images you are refrencing are promo shots...in the first one, the flak vest is on backwards Laughing

I just noticed that... Laughing

Personally, I think it's good that the costume standards for pilots do NOT require a specific type of boot. For one thing, as many of us have pointed out...comfort often takes precident over style.

The other thing is cost; I swear to Yoda I got these DKNY boots from a friend (who found them on eBay for me and my size 12E feet... for a group TIE project) and I've been rockin' in these boots as a rebel pilot ever since (never did finish the TIE costume). When these things die, I got NO idea what I'm gonna do cause these things were the greatest $30 I ever spent.

Besides, I doubt the rebel alliance had a standard issue contract with any particular footwear company.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, Geoff.

We know the Rebellion got stuff where and when the could, and weren't able to be that choosy. Wink

After chatting with him, I understand reason why Bryan's asking about this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Leia Organa wrote:
What do you wear John?

I know other pilots that wear "riding boots"

I lucked out and got the real thing when they were in stock.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=72471

I did have to get them re-soled, the bottoms weren't nailed in very well, and I wanted a bit better grip.

They are very hard to find now though, and extremely rare to find in sizes higher than 10.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey! WEPHaus has a few in stock. Pricey though.

http://www.wephaus.com/products.asp?cat=15

Might help a few people out.

― Wedge Antilles
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think so, as long as you blouse your pants over the boots to make the boots look shorter. If you have military blousing bands....good, if not then you can use heavy rubber bands.

Here's the trick. Put on your pants, flightsuit etc, then your boots. Pull the rubber bands up your boots until you have them where you want your pant legs to fall. Stand up and then tuck your pant legs under the rubber bands. Your pants will now stay there and it will make you look like you have shorter boots than you really do.
StoyBoy720 (Bryan Patrick Stoyle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses, everybody.

I mentioned this to Lori the other day; I've mainly been asking as I am trying to get some more costumes made (after COSI my laundry list contains virtually every Luke costume imaginable!), while trying to be somewhat cost-effective.

I have a pair of riding boots coming in (here's hoping they fit my calves!), and I want to be able to use them for a variety of costumes, including Ceremonial Luke and Jedi Luke, among others. And if I can get them to work for the X-wing pilot (once I get a helmet, X-wing Luke), that's one less pair of footwear that I have to buy.

Especially since boots are larger items that you have to carry around and lug to events. Since I'm hoping to get this costume ready in time for Philly's WSMI event, the fewer big costume pieces I have to bring, the better. Smile

Failed First Dates - Comedy Web Series

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option, I've been told, is that if the boots really don't fit the calves a good shoe-maker can add a gusset in the rear of the boot. however, mine told me he did not want to do that because it would essentially ruin the look of the boot. But that's what I've been told.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that done.

I also bought a pair of boots where the calfs (calves?) were too large Shocked , so I had to have them taken in.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my biker boots [not engineer, but not riding] boots modified in that way and they still look pretty good to me.
Cprav (Justine MacDonald)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is the size of the actual shoe. I have little kiddy feet. Smile Like a women's size 5 is often too big so I have to look for small fitting women's boots in Size 5 or kids boots.

I'd love to get the engineer or jack boots and will buy them if I ever find them in the right size. And because my shoe size ranges from a Kids size 2 in Timberlands to Wmns. 5.5 in Nike's I always have to try them on before I buy them. Rolling Eyes

I'm starting to think I started the wrong hobby. :S
Facebook
Twitter: AuroraLee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I hear they are not the best... the price is not bad at all... maybe I'll get lucky?...

Military Riding Cavalry Renaissance Jedi Boots Black Wide Calf...
911 Costumes...
http://easterncoastcostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/boot01.htm
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do NOT recommend any pleather boots. They are good for a few events and then they rip apart. Not what you want. Get real LEATHER boots. If you have the money, then get some made for you like I did my Jedi boots. They will probably outlive me.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: