Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2b10641722458a7cf92ba7c79a683f81Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Boots - Define "Suitable Substitute"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StoyBoy720 (Bryan Patrick Stoyle)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Boots - Define "Suitable Substitute" Reply with quote

I have a question regarding the boots for the X-wing pilot.

The standard for the pilot says "Mid Calf Black boots (or suitable substitute)."

I would like to throw down the argument that black riding boots could also be a possibility, if nothing else, serve as a "suitable substitute."

My evidence - Luke in ANH: Looking at some pictures, you can see that his boots are higher than the mid-calf boots that most of our RL pilots use for their costumes:

Check out Luke's boots here. Keep in mind Mark Hamill is relatively short. Those are definitely higher than just mid-calf. They seem pretty close to knee-high in my opinion, especially his left leg with the flare holder.

From a production standpoint it'd make sense that Lucasfilm didn't want to buy another set of boots for Hamill, since they would barely be seen in the film in this costume. But since he wore black riding boots in his Ceremonial outfit, it would be cost effective to just reuse those boots.

It is my understanding that most pilots tend to tuck the pants in their boots, then fold excess fabric over the top of the boot so the boots end up appearing shorter anyway, so even if knee-highs are used, it shouldn't look all that far off. In the above pics, Hamill's right leg looks pretty standard for RL pilots.

Thoughts?

Failed First Dates - Comedy Web Series

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. The only thing I can say is that the images you are refrencing are promo shots...in the first one, the flak vest is on backwards Laughing .

Check out the actual shots from screen caps, and you'll see most of the footwear of the pilots are along the lines of mid calf length. I'd say the riding boots are OK, just keep the leg flares on the top portion of the boot

my 2 cents
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erjediik wrote:
Check out the actual shots from screen caps, and you'll see most of the footwear of the pilots are along the lines of mid calf length. I'd say the riding boots are OK, just keep the leg flares on the top portion of the boot

my 2 cents

Oh, absolutely. I wasn't gonna wear the leg flare on my future pilot costume at my knee, and show off the fact that I'm wearing knee-highs. I'd just fold the fabric over so they'd look a bit more "normal. " Just wanted to make sure wearing those boots would be okay in the first place. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these boots, as do many others. Just paint the buckles black, or remove them completely.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking for a parade of something, I wear lace up military combat boots. Not accurate, but look good from ten feet away, and much more comfortable.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of Star Wars lists the Chippewa 27909 as acceptable for X Wing, TIE and Jedi Luke ROTJ, that's what I use. They are 17 inch tall motorcycle boots. Problem is they cost an arm and a leg.

I have big calves, but I was able to get a shoemaker to stretch the boots about 2 inches at the tops.

You get a thumbs up from me on them. My boots I use are at least that tall.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia

Last edited by JediXXL (Gil Guemes) on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were always taller than the guys tend to wear. But then I am a gal. I just got new ones, that I can use for my pilot and Endor Leia
My new boots:

Again... don't go by me because I'm a chick pilot Razz chickpilot

cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:
I use these boots, as do many others. Just paint the buckles black, or remove them completely.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking for a parade of something, I wear lace up military combat boots. Not accurate, but look good from ten feet away, and much more comfortable.

I use engineer boots also. I use them for my pilot, RFT, and Jedi as well as my imp officer and most importantly I use them to ride my motorcycle Smile That was the best money I ever spent in footwear I can tell you.
Cprav (Justine MacDonald)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on using riding boots as well. At least until I am able to find something similar to the engineer boots small enough... This costuming thing has really made me feel short! Confused
Facebook
Twitter: AuroraLee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Sunrider Base pilot group project, we are recommending the engineer boots too. For easier availability for one thing, cost for another. Some of us have bought the real deal [german tanker boots] and found them to be WAY to tight on the calves! Shocked I agree that the promo pics are of Luke wearing his Jedi boots or what would become them. The RFT's and pilots mostly seem to be wearing the tanker boots. They are only mid calf approx. 13 inches from the bottom of the heel to the top of the boot. I have a pair of top of calf boots that I wear for my RFT, but I blouse the pants over the boots using blousing bands to make the boots look mid-calf. I may do that for pilot too. Luke
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find those German boots in my size either b/c of my calves and the fact I can never find them larger than a 10. The nice thing about it is that if we all start to use those leatherup boots, it'll just look like those are the correct ones to use since everyone will have them.

I have them too and use them for my X-Wing and my RFT. I'm also wearing them right now Smile
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:

I like these ones... think I may try and get a pair... I've had a bugger of a time getting boots that are my size AND fit my calf...

hofmann wrote:
I can't find those German boots in my size either b/c of my calves and the fact I can never find them larger than a 10. The nice thing about it is that if we all start to use those leatherup boots, it'll just look like those are the correct ones to use since everyone will have them.

I have that same fit problem... which is a worse problem for finding Solo boots...
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hofmann wrote:
if we all start to use those leatherup boots, it'll just look like those are the correct ones to use since everyone will have them.

Good call. These boots are the best combination of accuracy, comfort, and cost that I've found.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be an ongoing problem for guys to be able to find riding boots that fit because riding boots tend to be tight around the calf, hence why male pilots have come up with these alternatives that work out nicely. Wink

Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Princess, although I think german men have small calves.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... it's cool to wear riding boots? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: