About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b5a3beeea272569bb098b32faccd1c43Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Looking for 100% Cotton Orange Fabric
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory about the flightsuits, based on a lot of research on my part.

The idea that they are racing suits, or some other off the shelf source was because there were so many. At least 24 in orange, 24 grey and perhaps 12 in black. The movie did not have that large of a budget afterall.

However, it is stated in one of the books (I forget which one now), that the suits were custom made, based on a design by John Mollo. Still, one cost saving step was done.

The suits were all made in the exact same size!

Most of the extras were all the same height and build, so they could either be Rebels or Stormtroopers (perhaps even both), so the flightsuit looks to have been made to fit a person approximately 5'10" and around about 150 pounds(?).

That was how money was saved.

As proof, compare the fit of the suit on the much shorter Mark Hamill to Garrick Hagon. Mark has to push his sleeves up and the suit has a fair bit of room in it. Garrick's is closer to form-fitting, along with Red Leader if you watch the restored sequence.

So not even Mark wore a "hero" suit. I think that did change in ESB as it has a much nicer fit in the medbay.

Oh and off topic for this thread, the flak vests were all one size as well. Again compare Biggs and Red Leader to Mark. The vest only sits on the upper chest more like a bra in fact! Only on Mark does it end below the rib cage. Something to take into account on those.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
Haru Windsong ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: FLIGHT SUITS Reply with quote

Keeping in mind, Woofer, that Luke would have undoubtedly been given a "hand-me-down" from some poor SOB that bought the big one somewhere other than in a space battle, so the fact that it didn't really fit didn't matter. Same probably applied to the helmet.

Then again, I've seen supposedly "fitted" flight suits in real life that DON'T. No matter how they try, the military simply cannot make to fit everyone because they use generalities (garrison dress that always looks like paint-by-number PJs).

Oh, and apparently almost all of the stormtroopers in ANH were female, with the a few exceptions---like the guy who smacked his head trying to enter the gantry room.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female? Where did you see that?

Get the new book by JW Rinzler. Every trooper in it with helmets off were male.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the two Imperial Pilots were female stage hands that Lucas picked at last minute to get suited up to do the scene. To my knowledge all the people in the stormtrooper suits were males.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum, the idea of a "custom made" flightsuit seems good.
Creating some dozens suits all the same, in cheap cotton, is not so unsound in the budget of a complete costume plan.

In a auction in Britain, this summer, they sold a RFT shirt from the costume shop who made it for the film. and even this unimportant peice of clothing is custom made.
It may cost barely the same to buy plain work coveralls or to sew a bib on a plain shirt, but as one costume shop do all the work, Uncle George may have scrooged a good price for this simple patterns (RFT shirts, suits) as part of the larger order for tailored officers uniforms of imps officers, the jedi robes, Tunisian extra clothing and so on.

And Uncle George saved on Leia Underwear, too, if you have read Carrie Fisher's interviews.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the RFT shirt was another mass produced.

You can see them all over if you look. Blue-grey is the obvious one, but on Yavin they had them in tan and brown, and in the Medal ceremony Luke wore one in black, Han in white.

― Wedge Antilles
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still want to replace the suit I have now and I still can't find 100% cotton fabric in orange.

I may have to go with a Lonestar suit from RPF if he ever gets back to me... Confused

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried to find some at Fashion Fabrics Club, its an online store that seems to have EVERYTHING.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out... Thanks

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: