Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3f393bb2ee6ed8ef0e0d40707dfca5a7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP- Lt. Connix TFA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: WIP- Lt. Connix TFA Reply with quote

Hi all!! Starting my build tread since I have the patterns, some fabric so I'm getting close to starting on my Connix force awakens costume! I'm working on this while also working on rebels Bo katan and going to costuming school full time so there might be some time in between but I'll make sure to take lots of pictures so I can at least do bigger posts down the line.

So I got the itch to work on this and realized that its pretty simple, no big things like my Leia. Connix has patterns that are easily change to fit the requirement so I'm so excited for this!

The Fabric:

So I joined the IConnix group on Facebook and I'll be using the google doc reference for my build. I found a local seller here in Canada that I got my Kona fabric from them, super pain free. I got the Champaign colour for the top and the curry colour for the vest

I also picked up the patterns for the pants and shirt:

I looked for fabric for the pants today but no luck for colours so I'm going to another place that I know has twill and should have Olive green. I'm lucky with going to costume school as this next semester we are doing a Dying and Breakdown part of our textiles class so I'm hoping to tea/coffee dye the vest although it looks like its approvable without the dye so I'll see. I'm also on the hunt for her little ear piece as there is no link in the doc and I can't find anything when I type the full name into google so I think I'll ask some of my garrison members, I just think it would be nice to have so when I'm doing booth jobs or taking pictures at the photo booth to have a little prop. I'm hoping to start this in a few weeks as a friend picked up my main fabric and I won't see her till classes start. In the meantime I will take a look for the twill and some mock up fabric so I can at least mock up the pants

~Now thats podracing~
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Super excited to see your progress. Smile

Anya found a listing on eBay for the headset that looks fairly close. We have it at the end of the detachment guide here:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101800

There's a revision to that guide in progress to pull together some of the information in Empathy's build threads (you can see the bits on the kneepads, her blouse, and the belt in her TLJ controller thread in this forum). It will also include the dying formulas Empathy has been working on. Smile
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know thats where I saw the headset info but since it's not a link, I can't find it as nothing on ebay pops up when I type in the info and google is no help as it just brings up other things, unless there is a specific link I'm missing I only see the info in the doc

~Now thats podracing~
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have one in my ebay watching, Ill check with the detachment team later, to make sure its not for something else.

I'd say that although people have been approved with more 'yellow' fabric, the little bit of extra effort to get the colour muted takes a costume from good, to really awesome.
Duty Officer Home One Command, Elstree Base UK
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get the darker look but Im in a full time costuming program and we will be worming on a school musical as well as four student films plus homework so that's why Im kinda relieved that the yellow can be approved at least for the time being.

Im currently keeping my eye out for the olive twill colour, I have two local stores that both do online ordering but unfortunately dont offer swatches so I have to figure out a time when I can go in to feel and take better pictures but I have ally patterns and that's the only fabric missing.

~Now thats podracing~
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're searching you want to use the second set of numbers- the "M-87/AIC" will turn up more results. I'm seeing a couple out there that are just the boom and some that are attached to the headphones.

My husband is willing to look at modeling the the plastic pieces for 3-D printing, but the wires, headband and frame would still all need to be added, so would still be a bit of a project to make.

The headband part looks like it's modeled after a one ear tactical headset.
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:
When you're searching you want to use the second set of numbers- the "M-87/AIC" will turn up more results. I'm seeing a couple out there that are just the boom and some that are attached to the headphones.

My husband is willing to look at modeling the the plastic pieces for 3-D printing, but the wires, headband and frame would still all need to be added, so would still be a bit of a project to make.

Thank you I'll take a look. I'm also in Canada so our ebays might show different things but I'll do more looking. I have a few people in my base that could possibly help make it as well but I'll work on the costume and keep my eyes out for the headset stuff Smile

~Now thats podracing~
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update, started work on the shirt. I'm using the Kona cotton and I really like it! I prewashed it just in case as its not something like my Leia where I clean that differently so it feels really good!. I need to fix the gathers as I made my pattern a tiny bit to small but once the left closer is in and all that it will be fine. I also evened out the sleeves so they aren't curved anymore and I think this weekend I will add the cuffs. I need help though as I know in the reference I think the cuffs where two inches but the shirt pattern that's in the refence has over two inch cuffs so I doubled it and I want to know if that would be ok look wise? I think this weekend I will also work on getting a mock up of the collar on as I am very bad at those. Im still on the hunt for fabric, I've been way to busy with classes as well as wanting to save money so I want to go to places I have gift cards. Im super happy that this build came together in about a night, Im waiting on working with the vest until I have a pant mock up so I can figure out spacing but I have the matching Kona colours for that too

~Now thats podracing~
instarlight (Anya)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:

adding some links (and updating my thread with them in just a bit) to help with the mic base.

just the mic mount
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Radios-WIRE-BOOM-M101-Wire-Boom-Microphone-Mount-Parts-Kit-for-Headsets-/264430174992?

entire piece
https://www.ebay.com/i/224148359176
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarryEyedMaiden wrote:
Small update, started work on the shirt. I'm using the Kona cotton and I really like it! I prewashed it just in case as its not something like my Leia where I clean that differently so it feels really good!. I need to fix the gathers as I made my pattern a tiny bit to small but once the left closer is in and all that it will be fine. I also evened out the sleeves so they aren't curved anymore and I think this weekend I will add the cuffs. I need help though as I know in the reference I think the cuffs where two inches but the shirt pattern that's in the refence has over two inch cuffs so I doubled it and I want to know if that would be ok look wise? I think this weekend I will also work on getting a mock up of the collar on as I am very bad at those. Im still on the hunt for fabric, I've been way to busy with classes as well as wanting to save money so I want to go to places I have gift cards. Im super happy that this build came together in about a night, Im waiting on working with the vest until I have a pant mock up so I can figure out spacing but I have the matching Kona colours for that too

The finished cuffs are about 4" (10.2 cm) wide- so about double what the pattern calls for. Proportional to you is the most important part though, so it's difficult to judge without seeing what it looks like on the sleeve. Are you making a muslin? Could you mock up the cuff and take a picture? That would make it easier for us to tell.
StarryEyedMaiden ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some work on these guys, I measured the cuffs and they are just under 4 inches

I also got working on the collar, here it is just pined in

It was good to see it on as I then lowered it down to match the reference and to make it about an inch

It's all still pinned in so I know I need to even out the gathering but I think this size matches the ref as well as other approved costumes. Once I get the ok or any other fixes I'll fix the gathers and sew it on, I have the left shoulder open to add closers too.

Pants- So for the pants here in Canada is it pretty rare to find olive green twill, even the fabric employee said they rarely come by it. I can't afford the close to $80 for 3 meters after shipping and conversion from the states so I went with a Khaki twill, its green and close enough that it won't be an issue to dye. I'll be taking to my dyeing and breakdown teacher next Monday since she has been doing dyeing as a career for a very long time so I'll hopefully have some swatches and the math to get some tests to show next week maybe. I wasn't able to check with you before buying it as I wouldn't be able to get back to it for a few months and since I found something in the perfect weight and close enough colour I did take a risk

The picture reads as more grey but in person it has better green undertones, I'm pretty positive with some dye it will be a good pick. That is where I am so far. We are on our spring break for classes so I might be able to finish this shirt this week if I get stuff fixed and I plan on washing my pant fabric at some point too so its set for dye tests. I also pan on doing a small mock up for the pants as shorts so I can get the waist size and mode I need to do for that such as rising the waistband and adding the yolk. Good thing our next project is making jeans so I will have practice with putting yolks and fly fronts in

~Now thats podracing~
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weave looks good, from what I can tell and it sounds like you have a solid plan.

I would suggest mocking the trousers fully so you can get the pocket placement and knees right- especially as you are dying the fabric. I always mock everything because its nice to have a trial run through, much easier to make changes in cheap fabric.
Duty Officer Home One Command, Elstree Base UK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: