Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bb154265b2bb5c5bdcbba7938977330cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Dorme's Nightgown and Robe WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugachim1310 (Renee)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Dorme's Nightgown and Robe WIP Reply with quote

So I’ve been wanting to do Dormé’s nightgown for a while however the only part of the costume that I find myself hesitating on, is the colour of the embroidery on the collar.

In the costume standards it dictates that the collar is trimmed with a “pointed purple band embroidered in pink, purple and turquoise blue,” however, I been able to access ‘slightly’ higher quality photos and have seen other colours present that just pink, purple, and blue.

I believe the collar has a much larger range of colours than simply the ones in the standards. From these photos, I can see yellows/creams, and reds on top of many others.
I am wondering, due to little photos and information on this dress as a whole, if the costume standards could be altered or expanded on without deviating too much. More specifically if I am allowed to add other colours on top of the pink, purple, and blue.
The core colours of the embroidery would still be the main colours in the standards but am I allowed to add more detail/depth to this collar?

Please let me know if this is possible.
Cheers!

Last edited by sugachim1310 (Renee) on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you match the references and can show you did so, then it's allowed. Smile No matter what the standard may say. Sometimes mistakes make their way into standards, so that is taken into account when judging a costume.

I suggest to keep updating this thread as you go so you can easily point to this for more information and so it may help others wishing to do Dormé's nightgown. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

sugachim1310 (Renee)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks for the suggestion of continuing this (maybe into a full WIP thread), I'll get started right away.

Cheers! Very Happy
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Lora said Smile

some of the standards are imperfect and in progress of rewriting eventually, but use of references in aiding your build is always preferred to working only from the standard anyways.

When you submit, if you use references to justify your choices in building the costume, you shouldnt have too many problems Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
sugachim1310 (Renee)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’ve been combing through all the videos and screen-caps that I have collected on this dress in order to get a better sense of the fabric and materials used in this dress. Here is one that shows the texture of the inner gown, and another which shows the texture of the outer robe.

From these screen-caps, we are able to see that the inner gown is a white/off white vertical ribbed fabric, and the outer gown is a blueish-grey, waffle-like textured fabric.
This narrowed my fabric search down to white rib knits, and grey waffle fabrics.

Sadly I could not find any similarly spaced white 'thin' ribbed white fabric like in the photos, however, I did find a very similar fabric here https://www.stylishfabric.com/off-white-6x3-brushed-poly-rayon-rib-knit.html
And I think I have found a great fabric for the outer robe here.
https://www.stylishfabric.com/denim-steel-waffle-rayon-spandex-open-knit-fabric.html
I have ordered swatches and I'll take photos of them when they arrive.

Does anyone else agree with these fabrics choices? Or should I keep searching while I wait for the swatches to arrive?

Last edited by sugachim1310 (Renee) on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I actually like the look of the white rib, but I'm concerned it says 'minimal stretch' since the nightgown has a fitted turtle neck. That could be a problem with this fabric.
For the second I'd personally like something with a more distinct waffle-weave. Have you looked at piqué weaved fabrics?

Sometimes it's good to keep on looking for options and not settle on the first the best. Smile

sugachim1310 (Renee)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked the look of the white rib because I had another white rib fabric in mind that has more of a stretch.
Here is the link to that.
https://www.stylishfabric.com/all/off-white-4x2-thermal-ribbed-stretch-knit-fabric.html

With the denim steel waffle that I linked above, I forgot to mention that the pictures show the unwashed version the fabric arrives in and it is only when it is washed does it shrink and have a more pronounced waffle weave. A family member of mine has this same fabric in a different colour and after a couple of washes became more distinct.

I did find some more fabrics that are within my price range (most of what I found were $30-$40 a metre!! Shocked )

This one is similar in colour and not expensive - https://raspberrycreekfabrics.com/products/dusty-denim-blue-waffle-knit-fabric
This one is also another option however the minimum order is 10 metres - https://www.wouters-textiles.com/waffle-138

How do these look? Sadly I can't order swatches for these at the moment due to their shipping policies.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that new rib does looks promising. Very Happy Depending on the thickness of it you might want/need to line it / make/buy neutral colored undergarments, but it does seem to match the references well.

As for the robe I must say the second one seems to have a texture that is spot on. But yeah, 10 meters would probably be enough for three robes. Laughing Or at least two. On the other hand you'd have enough to remake pieces should something go wrong or sell it on to another future Dormé. You could also keep on looking on other sites and see if you can find the same fabric or one just like it where you won't have to buy at least 10 meters. Smile

Maybe this could be an option? https://www.stofkiosken.dk/pique.html
(Yes, I know the site is in Danish, but it's all about the pictures anyway).

sugachim1310 (Renee)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered swatches for the new white rib, and the second blue waffle fabric now that shipping restrictions have lifted.

The danish site did have a really good match however, it does not deliver to my country Crying or Very sad I do however think I'm going to go with the 10 m blue waffle as I really like the colour and I think its a good match.

The original white rib was actually just a two-way stretch! After the swatches came in the mail I was really surprised to see how much it stretched for a 2-way fabric. I'll need to compare the two when the new rib swatch comes in and see which works better.

I'll take photos of all the swatches when they arrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: