Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da5568192c61490bc4441807652dc8beMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lora's dressing gown journey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Lora's dressing gown journey Reply with quote

Hello. Smile

Some people already know I'm working on this costume, but I thought it was time to start a wip thread of my build. It's a slow build as I'm hand embroidering the trim, but now I'm starting work on the dressing gown itself and would like to share my progress.

First: the fabrics. I've got a lovely, light furry fabric for the dressing gown itself.

I like the way it drape and how soft it feels. Definitely the kind of fabric I'd use for a dressing gown. Wink

I also have my purple net lace, which is a bit lighter and slightly redder, so I think it works very well with the faux fur and compares well to the movie used lace. Naturally it doesn't have the same pattern, but I'm happy I did find a good net lace for this project.
Note how much the colors can shift in photography depending on lighting. These are both taken in the exact same spot, but with and without the glare of the sun.

Okay, on to the mock up now. This is my first version of the pattern on an old duvet cover.
Front:

Back:

The first try on showed the sleeves were definitely too long, but I suspected that would be the case. Cut five centimeters off.

As you can see it also pools a lot on the floor. (Enough to constantly step on the fabric).

So I cut a bit off and now it looks like this (flat shoes, no heel):

Still pools a bit, but no more than 2-3 centimeters. You can also see the shaping added in the back shot; the entire dress is lightly A-shaped, but on this version more so front and back than sides. I'm considering evening it all out with a light flare along all seams. Smile (A little less front and back, a tiny bit more on the sides).

Finally there's the sleeves. I think I hit pretty close, but am debating if they should have another couple of centimeters to the width. What do you think?

The last one gives a sneak peak on the trim work. Wink

Length of sleeve looks good to you?

So that's it. Please let me know if there's any further changes you think I should make. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great to me, and loveee how thorough you are!

That fluffy fabric looks so cosy and wonderful hehe!
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed a tiny bit of work between Christmas and New Years, and got the corrected pattern done. Smile

I also failed math and somehow managed to make my sleeves on the front pieces too short. Luckily I have enough fabric to simply remake those pieces, but it's annoying I have to redo that work. Rolling Eyes (To be fair I could probably get away with shortening the sleeves on the back pieces, but I'd probably feel they were too short for my liking then. It's only four centimeters). I guess I worked when I was too tired.

Anyway, the pieces looks like this:

I can't draw lines on this fabric (furry on both sides, just less furry on the back), so I pin the pattern to it really well and then cut alongside it. Pattern includes seam allowance.

I did decide to add another two centimeters to the circumference on the sleeves, but most of the corrections were pretty minor so I went straight into the real fabric. It requires a lot of vaccuming, because those hairs get all over the place when you start cutting and moving the fabric around. XD

bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh looking great! I'm excited for this one!

Also would like to just cuddle up in that fur fabric! Razz

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Legion Costume Judge
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so soft! And fluffy! Very Happy I've got it all pinned together two by two, so it shouldn't be long before it's sewn together and I can try the finished result on. This time I'll try being mindful of directional sewing when sewing everything together. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the body of the gown done! Very Happy The fabric stretches slightly though so I will have to cut off a bit of the end; otherwise I'll end up tripping over it as I walk.

Making new front pieces:

And the finished thing lying on the floor and being static:

I love everything about this fabric except how freaking static electrical it is! But I have now invested in some Antistat spray (anti static spray/static guard) and I hope that will solve my problems. I actually had to vacuum the legs of my pants after trying it on as all the loose little hairs were sticking to them. Laughing

As promised I'll also show you the trim! I'm working on creating the trim from scratch and that is the biggest and most time consuming part of this project. I originally started out with one trim, but math told me it was too narrow and I scrapped that after about one month or so. Then I went on the hunt for a new base trim I could embroider and in the final store I found the perfect base trim! 40 mm wide, flat, golden trim. Just what I needed for this project. Mr. Green (I can add that 40 mm trim is not easy to find around here; 30 mm seems to be the standard for wide trim).

So, I first started randomly with one color, then another. That was a bad plan. You see, most of the colors are pretty randomly placed, except for the gold. The gold has a repeating pattern. And when I started working on that I suddenly had to remove spots of color already done, because they were in the way of where my gold needed to be. So always start with the gold for this!
Here is how I do the repeats. First I draw the outline on my stabilizer (I choose wash away stabilizer). I got the model to draw from from upscaling and printing out a close up picture of the trim, scaled to match the width of my trim. Once all is drawn on the stabilizer I attach it to trim with needles and put the section I'm working on in an embroidery hoop.

Then I did the line work around the edges to give me some clearer lines to work from since I used a very light fabric marker for doing my pattern. After that I just started embroidering from side to side going from the top and down, and going in small circles in the 'hoops'. I also added a little 'flower' shape in the middle as it seemed to be more heavily embroidered there, but it wasn't clear how it was done so I guesstimated.

And the final result looks like this:

I'm *this* close to being done with the golden thread for the first sleeve! One final circle to fill out then that's it! After that I will count hours for the golden thread (I'm keeping tabs), but I know I have many, many, many hours of embroidery to come.
One color (almost) down, six to go ...!

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking so lovely! This is gonna be such a cosy comfy costume when it’s finished, and beautiful too with all the detail you’re putting into it. Beautiful!
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That embroidery is turning out awesome! And thanks for sharing your method. Drawing directly onto the stabilizer is a fantastic idea.

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This costume will likely be the comfiest costume I'll ever do. Wink I'm counting on finding some comfy slippers as well to match with the dressing gown/nightgown.

Also: I'm done with the gold! It ended up being just under 34 hours (2033 minutes if you want to be exact), so that gives you an idea of the time I'll likely use before I'm done.
I've also removed all my pink, because I decided it was too pink and I wanted a more solid red instead. I hadn't put too many hours into that color so it was okay to cut it off, but it still took me around an hour to remove all the threads. I've now started on the red and I think it will look awesome when done. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: