Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c5ffbc330cab5af27bdc3ee3939e682dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Senator Leia WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commandervampire ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: My Senator Leia WIP Reply with quote

I started my Leia build a couple months ago and have been slowly working through it in between work so I figured I'd share my progress!

The fabric I used is the Jetset fabric from Joanns. Currently I've got to finish stitching the bottom hem, fix the collar (I folded it in half for these pictures), and then make the belt and find boots (I have very very small feet so finding a pair that are my size and under 100$ has been challenging). I've opted to commission the wig from a store on Etsy and I'm so very excited for it!

Image: Front view

Image: Back view

Image: Hood

Excuse the yellow tint, the lighting situation in my basement is not the best but it was the only spot I could hang my backdrop.
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fit of that dress looks great! I have the opposite problem of huge feet, so I don't have much advice on the boot front. I mostly just looked around ebay for something white with a low heel, as the vertical stitching isn't required by the standards. One day, I'd love to have something with the accurate seams though.

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look fantastic! The fit and shape of the dress is lovely on you! Loads of Leias use the jetset knit n it gives such a wonderful result.

I can dig out a source for the boots if you like, they’re widely available on Amazon. I don’t have particularly small feet though, pretty average. But the boots are comfortable and have vertical seams. I’ll check what the size range is on them Smile

If you’re trying to stay on budget the amazon boots are a good option and if they’re a wee bit big, you can always try an insole or thick fluffy socks!

Make sure to update when the wig comes in, looking forward to seeing this progress Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Ellie-Shoes-Womens-105-Leanna-Boot/dp/B01IRX3314

Here’s the link for the boots I was cleared with! they’re pretty comfy, and the stitching looks super nice! The only downside is if you have larger calves they may be a lil tight, but I’ve seen others add elastic panels to help this, if it turns out to be an issue for you if you go with this pair.

The size range is a US 6-10 which isn’t great, however like I said these boots are super economically friendly if you’re on a budget, and a good pair of insoles or socks can help if they’re a lil big : D

If these are still too big, I’ll update if I find anythin with a better range of sizes. As I said, can’t wait to see this progress Smile
they/them/she/her
commandervampire ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
The fit of that dress looks great! I have the opposite problem of huge feet, so I don't have much advice on the boot front. I mostly just looked around ebay for something white with a low heel, as the vertical stitching isn't required by the standards. One day, I'd love to have something with the accurate seams though.

Thank you so much!! I'm glad that the fit looks good. I've browsed only a little bit on Ebay but I'll definitely give it a second shot. I considered getting a pair of plain white ankle boots and attaching a screen accurate boot cover but, well, my sewing skills are not quite up to the task just it.

naberrie wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Ellie-Shoes-Womens-105-Leanna-Boot/dp/B01IRX3314

Here’s the link for the boots I was cleared with! they’re pretty comfy, and the stitching looks super nice! The only downside is if you have larger calves they may be a lil tight, but I’ve seen others add elastic panels to help this, if it turns out to be an issue for you if you go with this pair.

The size range is a US 6-10 which isn’t great, however like I said these boots are super economically friendly if you’re on a budget, and a good pair of insoles or socks can help if they’re a lil big : D

If these are still too big, I’ll update if I find anythin with a better range of sizes. As I said, can’t wait to see this progress Smile

Thanks for the link! Those boots don't go small enough- I usually wear a women's size 5 shoe- but they're definitely in my price range and, like you said, I could probably get away with some insoles and thick socks. These just might work for me!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry I probably should have said in my other reply instead of clogging up your WIP thread, but those boots run pretty tight too even past the calf issue, so I dare say if it’s only one size smaller that you need, you would probably be safe with a 6! I’m normally a 7, but got a 8 and they fit pretty well! socks or insoles help. But obviously if you find a better option that goes down to your actual shoe size, that could be a better choice Smile )
they/them/she/her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got a lovely drape and fit with your dress. Very Happy Will be great when we can see it with the real belt, boots, and wig. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

commandervampire ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

Update!
I fixed the collar- since I realized it was far too tall- and reattached the hook and eyes. I also got the belt drafted, sewn, painted, and snaps attached. I glued on the belt plates but, sadly, some of the rivets popped off the first time I put the belt on so I'm currently trying out a different glue. If this glue doesn't stay, I might have to scrap this belt and start over. Thankfully, I've got enough left over pleather to make a second belt. The belt overall only took me about a day to complete.

And I finally got a pair of boots!! I took the risk and ordered the pair off Amazon as suggested by @naberrie and they fit great! They are hint too big, which I can easily fix with a pair of thicker socks which will make them much more comfortable.

The last piece of this costume is the wig which, unfortunately, will not be arriving until December. Once the wig gets here, I'll hopefully be submitting for approvable!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good! The shape of your belt looks super nice too, and with the river situation, I know a lot of Leia’s have used a Chicago screw situation? If glue doesn’t hold for now.

And yessssss I’m so glad the boots fit! They’re a really great option for those budgeting costumes, and the more accurate stitching always looks great.... this is comin along beautifully! Can’t wait to see it all together with the wig and finished belt Very Happy

Love n light
they/them/she/her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your progress looks great. Very Happy Very nice. I hope you can fix the belt so you don't have to start over.

bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dress looks wonderful and the collar fits nicely! I agree with naberrie that the belt shape looks good.

I've found that industrial double sided tape actually works really well for this belt! I've used it for two of mine and never lost a part of it. Holds up well and is super cheap/easy!

Glad those boots worked, was going to mention mine as I also have small feet and that was a struggle (US 4 here lol). Can't wait to see the wig when that arrives!

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Legion Costume Judge
commandervampire ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

I got my approval today!! I'm overjoyed!
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very Happy Leia Buns

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your clearance, what a beautiful job! Welcome once again Smile !!

Love n light,

Beth
they/them/she/her
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: