Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d647d3c8624ffe864ca617af5c6a986eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jacket General Draven
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, when it comes to talking about sewing, unfortunately my English reaches its limits. I excuse myselfe if somethink is not as clear as it should be.

But I try:
The bags get a strip of fabric so that they are not sewn on directly but are correct like parka bags.

We put it flat first to see what it looks like and how the Flaps look linke and what steering they need.

One problem is that we have with the pockets is: we made the rigt measurements to the top and bottom pockets. The bottom one is significantly larger, but because I am much wider, and therefore the jacket has more fabric, the bottom pockets appear much smaller than they are. further enlarging it doesn't look great either. Do I have to test again.
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are all different shapes and sizes you may need to tweak the proportions. Its possible that making the top pocket a bit smaller would work, if making the bottom pocket bigger doesnt look right?

I usually start with a tolie, so I can draw on it (this is a tolie for officer A but its the same process). I pick a reference point for example the pocket flap depth and use that to work out the size of everything else so its all proportional. Then i might need to adjust that to work for my body.

Then i fold a piece of paper to fit in the pocket spaces.

Then i cut it to the rough shape....I do this for both pockets and just keep making the paper shapes bigger or small till it looks about right. You can also pin the paper on so you can put the garment on to see how it looks.

Only then do i do it in fabric. Its so much quicker.

Here are my bottom pockets

These are the patterns, with the pocket strip. My top pocket is a touch small as i have super narrow shoulders.

Duty Officer Home One Command, Elstree Base UK
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForceLeo wrote:
Hello everyone, when it comes to talking about sewing, unfortunately my English reaches its limits. I excuse myselfe if somethink is not as clear as it should be.

But I try:
The bags get a strip of fabric so that they are not sewn on directly but are correct like parka bags.

We put it flat first to see what it looks like and how the Flaps look linke and what steering they need.

This is exactly what I was hoping was the case! Excellent!

ForceLeo wrote:
One problem is that we have with the pockets is: we made the rigt measurements to the top and bottom pockets. The bottom one is significantly larger, but because I am much wider, and therefore the jacket has more fabric, the bottom pockets appear much smaller than they are. further enlarging it doesn't look great either. Do I have to test again.

The pictures Empathy posted are a really nice explanation of how to make them proportional for your body. A toile (the jacket made with longer stitches that can be taken apart more easily and out of a very inexpensive fabric like muslin) is a great tool.

Using paper to test the pocket size is also very smart. You want the costume to be proportional to you. It looking right on you is more important than the measurements. If you post pictures of a couple of different pocket sizes- use paper like Empathy suggested- then we can give you feedback? I am so excited to see this coming together!
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear empathy,

thank you for your work and all the pictures! this is really helpful! Thank you so much!

I will try with the pockets, but i think will will have to make a compromise between the size and the appearance. Next week i will make the next attempt and get the pictures in here.

in the meanwhile i will start planing the boots Smile
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I made a bit of progress

We testet now different pocket sizes and we are satisfied with the bottom one bute we will make the top ones a little bit smaler.

Also the stuffed yoke is to big and needs to be smaller, but overall we a getting somewhere...

After the adjustemnts we have to sew it all together. Im so looking to finish that jacket!

do you have further hints?
Thanks for the support!
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I made a bit of progress

We testet now different pocket sizes and we are satisfied with the bottom one but we will make the top ones a little bit smaller.

Also the stuffed yoke is to big and needs to be smaller, but overall we a getting somewhere...

After the adjustments we have to sew it all together. Im so looking to finish that jacket!

do you have further hints?
Thanks for the support!
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking really good!

i agree that the smaller pockets are better. and that the collar is a little over stuffed in the back.

I noticed that there is a seam on the arm of your coat that looks like its piped. But on the reference its just top-stitched.

ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Emapthy,

thank you. That was a hard one to remake. Here is the progress on the arms and the collar. Think should be finde. Still have to resize the upper pokets, but im realy satisfied with the rest.

Do you see any further mistakes? It's so good to have a few more eyes looking to that. Im so really thankfull!

ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some progress!

I know that the boots and trousers are wrong, but i put them one to give you the impression. I will leave the jacket that way untill the registration process, lets see i manage to get this costume finished and approved

RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's looking really good! Do you have a plan for the trousers and boots? We have a guide in process for the boots- I'll come back and link it later today. Smile
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Trousers i have a plan, i ordered some kind of army/utility pants that matches the costume standards

The boots are a different thing. I know the tutorial from the forum. I have no sewing machine that could sew leather.

Currently i look after Boots with and without laces, so i have the option to make a leather cover for the laces or just the ankle cuff. I will ask a local Shoemaker what he would recommend.
I try to get matching leather and than darken it with the same leather color.

But i'm looking forward to any advise or trick you have:)
Thank you!
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good Smile

I would say its easier to alter the chelsea style boots with no laces.

Some pattern help for those wanting to make a spat to attach can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKQU--1VqLbp0dVd2MRfRLl8xOEiPcwR/view?usp=sharing

Tutorials for Modifying Existing Boots:

Ben has put together a really detailed build thread showing how he patterned and modified a pair of Rockport boots here:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112660&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I sewed mine, very slowly with a leather needle and teflon foot on my domestic machine. I used Nappa:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g-tlnbszeUwBP-5fNDci6sK1BlNmmUH8/view?usp=sharing

The trousers for Draven are a 2 pleat pocket with vertical quilting on the knees.

These are mine:

Kristina - Ive been wondering about something like these to mod, as they have the pockets, are twill- Its just that the knee section is a little long? It says that the knees are re-enforced, so maybe that section comes off and it could be shorted and put the padding in?

https://www.military1st.co.uk/f520112250-propper-bdu-trousers-button-fly-polycotton-twill-khaki.html
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

first of all (again) thank you very much!

I ordered a pair of pants that should match the colors and the pockets (just have to fit me). Since quilting on the knee is optional, I'll leave that out.

(Since I don't do a face character, that's okay too, I think)

What amazes me are the shoes. General Draven's shoes look different from Scarif Marines' shoes. They seem higher and made differently. It looks like half-yard boots with zippers and laces were taken. Then you have hidden the piece with the laces with a T piece and left the zipper. At the end, put the cuff on top.

If Scarif Marines shoes were also possible, I would work with Chealsey boots and leather gaiters. I know that some have registered their Scarf Marine shoes like this. Is that even an option?
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForceLeo wrote:
Hello everybody,

first of all (again) thank you very much!

I ordered a pair of pants that should match the colors and the pockets (just have to fit me). Since quilting on the knee is optional, I'll leave that out.

(Since I don't do a face character, that's okay too, I think)

What amazes me are the shoes. General Draven's shoes look different from Scarif Marines' shoes. They seem higher and made differently. It looks like half-yard boots with zippers and laces were taken. Then you have hidden the piece with the laces with a T piece and left the zipper. At the end, put the cuff on top.

If Scarif Marines shoes were also possible, I would work with Chealsey boots and leather gaiters. I know that some have registered their Scarf Marine shoes like this. Is that even an option?

Sounds like the trousers will be good, pop up a pic when you get them.

The boots are the same as the scarif troopers- the leather gaiters won be approvable with officers - troopers wont take them once the new standard is published I believe...... You can however use Chelsea boots and make cuffs for this costume.

Patricia has some great process pictures of the ones she made in her build thread here:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95502
ForceLeo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that with the Chealsey boots. Isn't it a Problem that you can see the non leather pats of the boots? Most Chealsy boots have a stretch cloth on both sides. If you only make the cuff at the "top end" of the shoes that could be visible.

Edit: Is it leagel to post shoplinks to Boots? I found a good pair of Leather(like) boots in a dark brown, with no cloth on the outside and a zipper at the inner side. Would be possible to find the right leather to make a cuff.

Is it legal to make the cuffs a bit strechy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: