Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=93493f84c537f7be038c1e7788a34f0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Ahsoka WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Rebels Ahsoka WIP Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Seeing my favourite Togruta in live action has motivated me to get a move on with the WIP thats been in planning/experimenting stages for quite some time.
I've been working on Ahsoka build for the past year, and its time I made a build thread for it Smile
Now when I say working, most of the year was spent planning and experimenting with the lekku. I wanted to have made some progress before posting, so I would have a direction and some sort of plan (if that makes sense)
I really want to make a lekku out of silicon or similar so that it moves really well, and I'm willing to take a long time to get there, and make it myself so it fits/suits me, and it can be something that I'm really proud of Smile

The Montrals/Lekku:
First I started with a 3D print of the montrals

3D file:

My print:

My wife then printed the 'disks' that make the lekku and we assembled the rear tail to test it, using fishing line to secure them in place, but allowing them to move really nicely.

I tried using foam to bridge the gap between the disks, so I could then cover it in silicon or latex.

I tried a few different methods, but ultimatly wasn't happy with the stretch and movement of the foam. As the foam was sandwiched between each disk, it would bulge when compressed, and didnt have much stretch, so it didn't move much. I decided to make the lekku tails out of just upholstery foam with the aim of making a silicon mould, and eventually a silicon Montral/Lekku. This will take a lot of work, but it means the final product will be replacable if anything happens to it (rips, tears, children, sith lords etc)

This was the first step; shaping the foam lekku tails.

Final shape:

Started to cover lekku in Monster Clay for final finish:

It still needs a bit more work, but its getting there. The plan is, once it is smooth, to then cover it in Rebound 25, a brush on silicon with a pot life of 40mins, which should give me enough time to cover it before it dries Smile

I did a makeup test this morning, which looks ok from a distance but needs to refinement Smile

I used modelling wax on my eyebrows and it didnt hold very well, so I'll try experimenting with different methods, and the orange was stinging my eyes Smile
I didn't try using a barrier spray or setting powder so I'll try it next time and that may help with both problems.

I also started work on the dress and gloves, they need more work too

It's exciting to be making progress, and although there is still a LONG way to go, I can't wait to troop as Ahsoka Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress! Very Happy The work on the montrals looks exciting!

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking awesome so far! Excited to see this method being used for the headpiece and can't wait to see how it goes

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Legion Costume Judge
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! This looks amazing so far!!

May I ask what pattern you used for the dress (if any)? I'm looking to start this project too!

I look forward to watching your progress! Smile
Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Made a bit more progress on the headpiece, and I'm finally happy with the shape.

Now things have come to a bit of a standstill while I experiment with different textures on the clay on my test piece, and make sure that the silicone will work the way I want it to. I want to be as prepared as I can before casting of the headpiece.

My wife 3d printed me a set of bracers, so I will have much sanding to do in my future 😊
We designed them for LEDs, so the indent is for coloured Perspex and the holes will be for the LEDs and wiring

The pattern I used for the dress is McCalls M7621.

I found A was mostly the right shape, just needed to modify the collar. As a bonus I used the sleeve pattern from C/D as a base and modified them Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: