Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8f9e7e9d78150fab454f6b791582da48Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

BUGSYS Obi-Wan Kenobi Clone Wars Era WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I need a bit of advice again :)
I found an undersuit that might work. It has the same ribbed lines and high collar as the one on the polystone statue. Yet, I'm unsure, because they only offer it in L and since I'm 1,92m I would probably need XL. Or does someone maybe know any other Shops that offer this type of suit with ribbed texture?

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/843898456/klon-trooper-gerippt-2-stuck-unter
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Thanks for the research, that’s good to know ;)


No problem :D

Another thing. Again I need your guidance '^^
I found an undersuit with the vertically ribbed seam. In terms of collar high, ribbing and overall structure it looks good to me. The only thing is it is made of fabric, while the statues suit seems to be made from some sort of rubber or artificial leather?
Anyway, do you think it will still be good enough?
Because unfortunately there is noone out there who makes this special sort of suit.
There once was a guy on therpf, but the thread is dead since 2006 and another one was once made by Clothears costumes, but it was discontinued too a few years ago already.
Due to this problem, the guys/girls from the clone detachment just use regular compression suits or the classic stormtrooper undersuit.

Heres the one I think of:
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/843898456/klon-trooper-gerippt-2-stuck-unter

And some references:






Also about the size:
They offer two sizes measured with the chest circumference that could fit me:
L: 38"- 42"
XL: 42"- 46"
I'm exactly 41" and for a normal sweater I would have gone with XL just to be sure, but as far as I can see it, the undersuits are supposed to be more of a tight fit and now I have some doubts about which size to take. What did you do about the undersuit for your animated clone wars Obi Wan?
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 1319
Location: Australia
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be acceptable for this submission but as you say, not as accurate.

If you can find the correct fabric, you have the option of just getting a local seamstress to make one for you ( simple garment ).

I looked for quite a while to find the correct rubber look but was lucky in the end.

Regarding the Clone Wars undersuit - it wasn’t a textured look for that one. The difficult addition there was the collar. Shape, method of attachment, construction etc all took a bit of problem solving but in the end I basically had the collar added to the black stretch undershirt to form the final look.

*edit* Oh something extra... if you look carefully at the ref shots of this new statue, the suit from the waist down is the same ie, wide ribbed leather like.
_________________


" Another happy landing "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
I think it would be acceptable for this submission but as you say, not as accurate.

If you can find the correct fabric, you have the option of just getting a local seamstress to make one for you ( simple garment ).

I looked for quite a while to find the correct rubber look but was lucky in leather like....


Hi, thanks for the tip. But after I though about it some time, I ordered the not 100% accurate for now in order to be able to get approved/troop when it's finished, but I will get back to a more accurate one sometime. The problem is, the only seamstresses with "star wars costume" experience in the German Garrison have usually immeasurable long waiting times, often one year or more.

Another small update, a few more parts have arrived and I ordered the Imperial Surplus armour parts("I will never fiancially recover from this").
First are some accurate ankle greeblies for the clone boots. The ones that were stiched on by Imperial Boots were anything but accurate.




The covertec clip arrived too.


And last but not least the thing I'm in love with now '^'
The 89saber hilt from Thundersabers









And apart from that, I'm sloooowly getting something that could be described as a beard :D




_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
I think it would be acceptable for this submission but as you say, not as accurate.
.


I have another decision to make on which I would like to hear your opinion ^^
The deeper I get into the Details of this costume, the more I ask myself who designed this and what references were they using?
But as you said in a previous Post, Sideshow probably needs to give us a reason to buy the same Design more than once Very Happy

So, the Problem is the strapping of the knee armour. In the prequels as in any other reliable source the knee strapping consists of two layers. One wider white stripe and a thinner one in dark grey sitting on top.



But now the statue seems to has reversed the colours. It has a wider dark grey stripe with a thinner white one on top.




My question is, what would be the "correct" one to go with. Sticking close to real universe references which outnumber the statues by far, or go with its reference?
Thank you so much by the way for helping me. It is always good to have a second opinion on things like These.
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 1319
Location: Australia
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologise for the delay Bugsy, it’s been a busy week.

This is the sort of thing that happens all the time. I think I suggested once before that the artists charged with creating the statue may or may not even be Star Wars fans. They are given a brief, a bit of a backstory and then what they create, eventually receives final approval.

Most of the inconsistencies are very subtle ( and is probably why they slip through in the first place ). Most people would never be the wiser or could tell you if anything differs from an earlier reference. We tend to break everything down to absolute basics in order to re create our costumes and it’s then that we pick up the changes.

To answer your question “ white on grey” won’t be required. It’s a tiny, obscure detail that all but a few die hard fans would ever notice. If we blindly insisted that you follow all those little inconsistent details, ( conceivably needing to acquire new armour / straps etc ) we feel it’s unreasonable and discourages attempting the costume.

We are still definitely about accuracy though and any obvious variations from the statue would be rejected. Applying with the clone chest piece instead of Obi Wan’s would of course, be a no brainer example of this. But if you are able to complete the costume with such attention to detail as white on grey knee straps, you will be above the standard and ahead of the pack. More importantly, you’ll know the job that you’ve done and how great the effort is along with the Obi Wan fraternity and should be filled with a sense of accomplishment.

Finally, just remember that the standards aren’t to just look at every detail of a costume on a forensic level and then write it down. It’s an accurate description of a costume that leaves the observer in no doubt as to the wearers identity but shouldn’t be hung up on those little details that no one can really notice.

I hope that puts it in perspective. Very Happy
_________________


" Another happy landing "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
I do apologise for the delay Bugsy, it’s been a busy week.

This is the sort of thing that happens all the time....


No need for apologies. I think it's clear that everyone of us also has a life and responsibilities outside of the Star Wars universe Very Happy

I think in this case it would be the better choice to go with "in universe accuracy". I will use the ep. III variation of his lightsaber instead of the ep. IV one shown on the statue because it's only logical and so in terms of consistency it would be better to go with the standard straps as well. As you already said, the designers are either not so deep into the costumes details, need to include some differences to seperate it from other figures/manufacturers or simply made a mistake (happens to anyone).
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after a little break since the last weeks have been a bit stressy I have now ordered almost everything I need for the project. The stuff from Imperial Surplus is shipped, but it will probably take a while until it gets here.
The only things missing now (because I'm a noob at choosing/identifing fabric and sewing) are:
- Cape
- Tunic
- Belt
- Pouches

I will start with the cape and tunic. The belt and pouches will be the last piece of the costume because I'm still in the process of loosing some weight.
For the clothes, I already found someone from the Austrian part of the German Base Yavin who could sew it for me, the only question left is- what fabric do I use?
The statues tunic is unfotunately also made of polystone and not like the Ben Kenobi Mythos from a real fabric. It also does not show much of a texture I could compare with other fabric examples from the web, only some lines and grooves to show "jep that's supposed to be fabric".
In my opinion it is not the cotton crinkle gauze used in Ep. III because it doesn't look as fluffy as the crinkle one, but also not the same as the smooth untextured one many use for their animated version because it still shows at least some characteristics of cloth.






For the Cape I noticed it is made from two diffrent kinds of fabric. One on the inside which seems to be a bit waffle textured? and the outer one with a stripe like texture.
I asked friends and searched on Facebook for fitting fabrics. On Facebook I got different opinions. One showed me extracts from the book "dressing a galaxy" and there it was stated Kenobis robe in Ep. III ( the statue only has a cape without a hood) was made from wool. Another with a 2003 microseries costume made his cape from heavy linen. I'm unsure what to use but it needs to be a bit heavier than Obis Ep. III robe because capes "fall"? or "move" differently. If a cape is too lightweight it looks cheap in my opinion especially on a Vader for example were the cape makes a big part of the overall appearance.









Maybe there is some fabric expert around here who could help me or push me in the right direction Smile
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
...


Ok, little change of plans. The clothes will be put behind the belt because my beltmaker told me it can be made around 15/20cm wider or tigher(my imperial belts were usually fix in term of size, so this surprised me), so even if I lose some weight, it will still fit me.
The overall belt and pouches aren't too complex, only the colour is giving me a headache. Basically I'd say it's a darker chocolate brown with a tiiiiiny bit of red but the beltmaker told me it could also be a touch of yellow instead of bown in there.
So I've collected pictures from his shop and he sent me a coloursample of his leather too, so maybe @ShayKenobi can help me here ^^'









I know Obi Wans belt in the movies is reddish brown, but as Shay stated numerous times in his Mythos thread, sideshow products often differ from their screen model or for the mythos series were never even seen on screen but still have some logic flaws.
Anyway, here are the examples from my beltmaker:










Also some of his belts. I really like his work and they are 100% handmade. Apparently even the stiching is handmade.












1. yellow brown
2. reddish brown
3. light brown
4. light brown plus dark brown
5. dark brown plus chocolate brown
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 1319
Location: Australia
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bugsy.

I’ve just finished my belt and pouches so this is what I used. You don’t need to use the same as me as most dark browns would work but this is what I chose...





It gives a nice dark stain but has the occasional red coming through as well. I think it’s pretty close...












Interesting that the sides of the pouches are quite “ flowing / floppy “ not like our traditional pouches. I tried to replicate the pattern of the “ folds” with a wooden mould and then some wet moulding of the leather.

Also this belt has a line etched along the top and bottom edge that the original episode 3 belt doesn’t have.

Anyway, hope that helps. Glad it’s going well.

Ps... Oh, in your examples, I think number two looks the best. Very Happy
_________________


" Another happy landing "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Hi Bugsy.

I’ve just finished my belt and pouches so this is what I used. You don’t need to use the same as me as most dark browns would work but this is what I chose...


I didn't know you were making the costume too, your pouch looks amazing!
Is it functional or is the flap glued shut? Speaking of, did you glue or sew your pouch together because I can't find any signs of stitching on the reference Photos exept maybe some fading lines on the edges which could also just be some decorative grooves like on the belt.
_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 1319
Location: Australia
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

I usually hand stitch but after studying it for a while, I came to the same conclusion as you, that there was no stitching so I carefully glued the edges.

Yes the pouches are completely functional. They are held closed with magnets. I wanted them to close really “ flush” like the references so I made a “ model “ out of wood and then wet moulded them the correct shape ( really flush fitting flap )

At this stage they simply attach to the side of the belt with another magnet ( and one inside the belt ) just like the refs. I couldn’t really see a strap or clip etc so thought that might look the more accurate.

Not essential though, clips, strap etc would be fine.
_________________


" Another happy landing "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Thank you Smile...


Yeah, I had the same thought about the flush fitting flap. I'm currently thinking of either using magnets as you did or thin pieces of velcro.
As for the attatchment to the belt I may even go with the loops. It's less accurate, but I'm a bit clumsy sometimes and fear that I might loose them while trooping.

Also, today was BBB day!
Kevins parts are fantastic.








_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BUGSY575 ()



Joined: 13 Dec 2020
Posts: 23

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had some free time in the past two days and roughly trimmed down the armorparts with lexanscissors. The next step is to wetsand everything in order to get smooth round edges because they are quite sharp and spiky.
I also need to "reshape" some pieces to fit me. The calf parts for example are waaaay bigger than my actual calves, so I will try heating them up a bit around the edges and fitting them to my leg with enough room to put them on and insert the spoon when everything is finished.


_________________
Anakin, start panakin, because I don't have a planakin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2021 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group