Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c9d4598ea19a9b2d0fd89b0f507e8be8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jawa WIP - (Mandalorian Off-World)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelStardust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Jawa WIP - (Mandalorian Off-World) Reply with quote

So I had already started collecting fabric for the Off-world jawa. We do know it's shades of grey tightly woven burlap/hessian with a flowy underdress. From the Star Wars screen caps site, we've taken many different angles, considered shading and sun. We are not going to get picky about the shade of grey because coming off-screen as we are supposed to appear to the public, there appears to be several shades. On top of that one of our members shared that it was also dusted with a brown paint as well (which could explain the shade differences - thank you Kelly!) With a minor generic character, there is no reason to force anyone into a specific shade of grey, especially since the materials, colors, and dyes are not available in all regions and we want ALL of our members to be able to do the costume if the so wish.

Having said that, I purchased some burlap online. It's not user friendly AT ALL and makes a MESS! lol! I've only tried dyeing it once and plan to have another go or five at it Laughing

I also purchased some grey fabric tonight for the under "dress." I am working with that right now. Pictures to come! Smile

The Mother of Jawas

RebelStardust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-World Jawa official screen caps

https://imgur.com/a/dfxuB0B

The Mother of Jawas

M.J ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Lucy, so glad you've started yours.

I feel ya pain on the fabric, it's quite horride, though I found after a number of washes ...well all the dying I did settle it down.

I agree its soo hard to get the correct colour grey, look at all our different shades of Brown with our OT jawa, I always try and suggest  each base or hive to get the same recipe so to speak of what each used to dye the fabric or brought, so everyone in that clan can look the part together.
Sadly not every country can get the same brand of dye. 

Wishing you all the best with dying it, if you need help just yell. Good news is I did another batch of Hessian and that lot dyed the same colour thank goodness, sort of win there. Mind you I did the two dying process again that was fun.... not. But at least we will look the same at this end of the world.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.J wrote:
Awesome Lucy, so glad you've started yours.

I feel ya pain on the fabric, it's quite horride, though I found after a number of washes ...well all the dying I did settle it down.

I agree its soo hard to get the correct colour grey, look at all our different shades of Brown with our OT jawa, I always try and suggest  each base or hive to get the same recipe so to speak of what each used to dye the fabric or brought, so everyone in that clan can look the part together.
Sadly not every country can get the same brand of dye. 

Wishing you all the best with dying it, if you need help just yell. Good news is I did another batch of Hessian and that lot dyed the same colour thank goodness, sort of win there. Mind you I did the two dying process again that was fun.... not. But at least we will look the same at this end of the world.

Thanks Kelly. Yeah I spent a good portion of time at the fabric store last night. (I go close to closing time so it's fairly empty) I found a few different fabrics to try for the inner dress, I went with the cheapest first which actually seems like it might work well. I worry that under another fabric it may ride up though so that will be trial and error at this point. I also found some burlap that was pretty tightly woven, would still need to be dyed (ugh) but it's a possibility if what I have just doesn't work out.

Funny, we like having all of our jawas in different shades here but a lot of them are kiddos with fabric that isn't expensive monk's cloth that they will grow out of in a week. I can see where it would be fun to have the clan all look uniform but unfortunately it just won't work here.

Anyway, fingers crossed! Thanks for your input!

The Mother of Jawas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: