Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c7a343892f5256216968b810a9ec37e0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mandalorian Luke Skywalker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Takodana Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Mandalorian Luke Skywalker Reply with quote

I'm working towards doing a Mandalorian Luke Skywalker. What lightsabers do people in the base use? Tri-cree LED dueling sabers, or Neopixel? Convince me whether I should start out cheap on AliExpress or if I should go big.
vahzos ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what do you want to do with it? duel or show saber? if dueling id stay away from neopixle unless you can fix the blade after a few months of dueling .they hold up well but do break the solder joints after a while and a new blade is 140$
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i build my own sabers so for me going big is buying an expensive hilt and doing a nice sound board and neopixel install Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would mostly be for show at troops with occasional dueling.

I've found some resellers on AliExpress with base-entry Luke replicas for ~$100 which I think are single-LED in-hilt and simpler soundboards. They're missing the button box but I found someone on Etsy who sells it.

I've installed LEDs in airsoft guns before so I think I could probably upgrade the hilt internals in the future if I think that I'm ready for something better, especially with local help.

Smoothswing looks like an incredible improvement over the simpler soundboard movement detection which I'm guessing will be like the Anakin FX I had given to me secondhand that doesn't make sounds every time I shake it.

I also have seen videos showing how tri-cree LED is better than single-LED, and Neopixel beats them all in terms of brightness and display, but is much more expensive and not good for continued heavy dueling. I have seen some videos where people duel with neopixels and it's probably more than sufficient for what I'd do.

A lot of what I'm asking the local base for is what type of sabers you all have. If my single-led entry-level saber would be completely outshone (literally) by all the others here if we ever met up. I am waiting to buy the saber until after I finish the costume so that I know I'm properly invested in portraying the character before I drop whatever level of coin is appropriate.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest they vary. We have some in the Base with nice bright LEDs and short blades that glow like Rotoscoped, also some Neo-pixel that do too. There are regular Ultra Sabers, Kyberlight and saberforge and home made. So in a photo they vary, a lot.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Ultrasabers for dualing, Saberforge for show and kyblerlight for fun.
The custom saber shop is in Idaho Falls, Kyberlight is in Utah and has runs of extra blades. I look for the BOGO deals from them also for the Dayblades.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait...www.thecustomsabershop.com is based out of Idaho Falls? I live there! I've been living in that site for the past week searching parts. Is the owner a member of the base? Interested in doing a pickup order at the very least.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kievan Mereel wrote:
Wait...www.thecustomsabershop.com is based out of Idaho Falls? I live there! I've been living in that site for the past week searching parts. Is the owner a member of the base? Interested in doing a pickup order at the very least.

I don't believe they are in the RL, but did relocate there a couple years ago.

If I remember correctly you can make an appointment and visit the shop.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely make an appointment to visit the shop and even pick up your order in person to save on shipping. I've done that a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Takodana Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: