Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=19cf43c4d9f35b65753367ed045307c4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My senatorial WIP. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylorbrianna ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: My senatorial WIP. :) Reply with quote

Hello there! Long time reader, first-time poster Smile

When I set out to make this costume, I wanted to try to make it as close to RL standards that my amateur sewing skills would allow. This is my first major sewing project Smile
I think Iím not too far off, but I'm incredibly critical of everything I make, so I wanted to see if I could get some input from the lovely folks in this forum. If it seems like Iím on the right track, Iíd like to submit and see what happens!

I havenít mastered the buns yet, so please excuse my lazy bun (which inadvertently gave me a conehead and messed with the hood!)

The dress isnít hemmed yet but it is made of the Jet Set knit material and is self-lined.
Here are my current areas of concern:
Height of knee slits
Collar closure
Keyhole opening (sewing the layers together there was a big struggle!)

I'm still working out how to get the blousing to stay consistent. I sewed an elastic belt to wear under the real belt to help, but it looks like I missed some spots on the back.

Also, after seeing these photos Iíve realized I seriously need to work on my posture!
Thank you for reading Smile

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a lovely job you've done, looks great to me! The buns can be tricky but i know with some practice and trial and error, its definitely doable Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
taylorbrianna ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naberrie wrote:
what a lovely job you've done, looks great to me! The buns can be tricky but i know with some practice and trial and error, its definitely doable Smile

Thank you so much! I'll have to try a few more trial runs on the buns before submitting!
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your overall shape and size looks good. Smile Maybe shorten the slits just a tad, but I think they could fly as is. I wouldn't make the gown any shorter than it is now.

As for posture, I know the feeling; posture correction doesn't happen overnight, but takes a lot of conscious practice and sometimes a bit of professional help. Hope you get to a place you're happy with.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

taylorbrianna ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I think your overall shape and size looks good. Smile Maybe shorten the slits just a tad, but I think they could fly as is. I wouldn't make the gown any shorter than it is now.

As for posture, I know the feeling; posture correction doesn't happen overnight, but takes a lot of conscious practice and sometimes a bit of professional help. Hope you get to a place you're happy with.

Thank you for your feedback! Iím going to try and slip stitch the tops of the slits to hopefully lower the top point. As for length, I agree, and Iím going to try and do the smallest hem I can! Thank you!
bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful job! The details all seem to be there and the look is perfect. I agree that the side slits might be a bit high, but nothing I'd stress over for approval if you like where it's at.

Your collar looks good to me! The bit of gap isn't a worry, it sits well on you. As for the waistband an elastic band works really well! Even with the spots you might have missed it looks great.

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Legion Costume Judge
taylorbrianna ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bekahsoka wrote:
Wonderful job! The details all seem to be there and the look is perfect. I agree that the side slits might be a bit high, but nothing I'd stress over for approval if you like where it's at.

Your collar looks good to me! The bit of gap isn't a worry, it sits well on you. As for the waistband an elastic band works really well! Even with the spots you might have missed it looks great.

Thank you! I think Iím going to try and slip stitch the top of the slits to move them down a bit for better accuracy. I really appreciate your feedback!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: