Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c74e3a908e9c81fe31d227c87bbb144dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Connix Build Thread & Vest Making Tipps - Complete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlCeRey ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: TFA Connix Build Thread & Vest Making Tipps - Complete Reply with quote

Hi all! In 2020 I finally tackled the project of making my own costume for Connix in TFA! I compiled my entire build in a guide-like PDF that you can download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RPJtWTtSdxXB8QvP0Stp5JjGALlVABe5/view?usp=drivesdk

For the Connix CRL by the Rebel Legion, click here: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/kayden-ko-connix-generic-controllers-tfa/

The Vest:

I just love this crop-top type vest and I was super excited to make my own. I'm a newbie to patterning, so my pattern was created by trial and error. I used an old t-shirt pattern to get the placement of the armholes and the shoulder width right. For everything else i used the technique of "draping", where you pin the fabric to your body or a dressform and shape it by making lots of darts.

I plan on digitalizing my pattern in the future, but until then here are photos of the 3 pattern pieces I came up with:

The construction:

(1) Cut all your cotton pieces 2 times and 1 piece of batting. Then you layer the fabric cotton-cotton-batting and then sew them together, leaving the future finished-vest seams open.

(2) Cut the surplus batting away from the seam allowance, but leave the cotton seam allowance intact. Clip the corners, then you turn the separate pieces through those openings.

(3) Topstitch the pieces all along the edge, about 5mm away from the edge. Mark your quilting lines with a wash-away marker (or a heat-vanishing marker). It's helpful if you pin the pieces together as a wearable vest and draw one line on each piece while wearing it. This will help the lines be perfectly vertical when you wear the finished piece later. Also make sure the quilt lines are all 1” apart from each other and are parallel. Neat work is key here or the whole vest will look off later.

(4) Then you quilt. Make sure you quilt on the right side of the fabric, and hold your fabric steady and pull a little so that there won’t be a bulk once you reach the bottom. For better results, grab two pieces of scrap cotton and a piece of leftover batting and practice quilting first.

(6) Once all the pieces are quilted, you zig-zag or overlock the raw edges.
Mark your seam allowances. Then pin the pieces together and sew as if with a normal, single-layer garment.

(7) Now your vest is basically finished. I blind-stitched the seam allowances to the main fabric so it will lay nice and flat while being worn. I sewed a strip of Velcro to the underlap of the vest with my machine, and hand-sewed on the matching strip on the with a blind stitch. I also added a snap to the center of the vest as that seems to have been done on screen.

(8) Now all that’s left is drawing the red distressed rebel bird symbol on the left shoulder. First, I made a cardboard template to get a neat shape.
Then I used fabric paints to mix a rather dark red color. I applied the color with a piece of sponge and then filled out the rest of the symbol with a fine brush. The type of fabric paint I used needed to dry and then be pressed with an iron to fix it to the fabric.

(9) And your vest is done! Pat yourself on the back and add a label.

[/url]
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Posting worked! Thank you, Alicia- it's really helpful to have process pictures and and descriptions for how people did their builds. Super appreciate you sharing. <3

You were able to achieve a really nice fit by draping the vest and adjusting your toile/mock up.
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: