Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ace7b654f7710482446b0ec695c85726Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[Open Discussion] Flashback Jedi Training Leia from TRoS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure how best to word saber details but I’m happy to upload photos of my Korbanth version of it will help.

Also, the Funko figure had a detail that I can’t imagine they would add unless it was in the actual costume and that is diamond quilting on the pants just above the wraps. Should that be added to this?
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Funko add inaccurate details all the time. In general, I wouldn't take a funko as proof of detail existing in a costume without another source backing it up.

Also, probably shouldn't use the Korbanth as a reference. Ethical considerations of buying from Korbanth aside, it's not the most accurate.

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Marvel Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To provide an alternate argument, I know of a few Funkos that have details
for a specific costume that public references did not show. Since the details can’t be made public, it wasn’t said but they were there. Who is to say?

If you have a way to describe the saber, please do. Other than color and general sizing, I don’t have the background to input in a way that would assist this proposal.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I noticed looking at this reference (Linked below is high enough resolution zooming in should be ok.):

The tunic fabric seems to be pretty heavy fabric- possibly a brushed cotton or maybe even a suede?

The quilting along the top of the sleeves looks to me like a separate panel that was finished with bias tape and either inserted or appliqued on top? On the arm holding the saber, if you look behind the wrinkle of the glove cuff, you can see what looks like maybe the corner of the panel popping up? The fabric used for the panel looks very heavy and the quilting is quite defined.

There also appears to be an underarm gusset. You can see the vertical seam extending down from under her raised arm towards the belt. This gusset is an important part of how the garmet fits and lays on the body- it gives movement and creates room for the bust. There also appears to be a horizontal seam visible above the belt, so that should probably be included as at least optional?

You probably want to give a material of some sort for the scarf?

The belt is dark brown with the elongated octagonal buckle worn by officers.

If you are requiring the exact saber, do you want to mention the mother of pearl or similar inlay?

Hope this is helpful!
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge), ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kristina that the tunic looks like a heavyweight fabric- a brushed twill would be ideal but any natural fabric with the same weight and minimal texture would work.

It also appears to me that there are five lines of topstitching down the front closure of the tunic.

Also I'm going to have to agree with Baris that Funkos are not a reliable source unless there's something else to back it up. They often reuse molds, so unless someone can find a still where you can see the quilting on the pants I wouldn't assume it's there. If someone can find a still, that would be fantastic.

Sew Corellian
KJO DCO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that photo, Kristina. Interesting but it appears there is a strap with a snap at the wrist section of the glove. Again, this could be getting WAY more specific than we want to be but then again, maybe not. I just never noticed it before since I didn't have as high a resolution shot before.
Costume Mentor
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Thanks for posting that photo, Kristina. Interesting but it appears there is a strap with a snap at the wrist section of the glove. Again, this could be getting WAY more specific than we want to be but then again, maybe not. I just never noticed it before since I didn't have as high a resolution shot before.

I think you're right that there is a strap at the wrist visible on the arm raised towards her head. There also looks like there are the lines of topstitching at the cuff we see on Rogue One gloves. I wonder if it is a similar style? I personally would put those as optional details because they don't substantially change the fit and the references are so scarce, but it may be useful info for people looking to source them.
Mon Mothma, OT Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge), ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightsaber should have similar coloring to the one we see on screen and obviously overall design but I don't know if having the mother of pearl on it should be required. Perhaps optional for that aspect?
Costume Mentor
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the stitching on the knees, it should only be on the front of the leg, the back of the leg should have no quilting.
instarlight (Anya)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:
A couple of things I noticed looking at this reference (Linked below is high enough resolution zooming in should be ok.):

The tunic fabric seems to be pretty heavy fabric- possibly a brushed cotton or maybe even a suede?

The quilting along the top of the sleeves looks to me like a separate panel that was finished with bias tape and either inserted or appliqued on top? On the arm holding the saber, if you look behind the wrinkle of the glove cuff, you can see what looks like maybe the corner of the panel popping up? The fabric used for the panel looks very heavy and the quilting is quite defined.

Agreeing that the tunic should have a weight to it to get the definition/shape and how the ribbed bars are sewn as an insert similar to R1 Jyn Erso/Cassian Andor jackets. The variations to Leia's is that the paneling is much more pronounced, because the heavier weight, and that the "ribbing bars" are longer and with smaller spacing in between them. The initial measurement seems like its pretty good, however, I do not think that pleats are the most accurate method of construction. Kristina complied a list of ways to make the ribbing on the R1 Officers, I think that the construction method should follow the same suit as that were it is either the appliqué on suede, embroidery or the SA Silk Screen ink and Puffy Paint combination.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I hadn't really thought of the sleeve as bloodstripes- to me it still looks more like a heavy fabric used to make an independently quilted and finished panel- with fairly thick loft to the batting- like adding a layer of gambeson to the top of the arms. But who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought these marked images might be useful in looking at construction. What I'm calling a gusset above isn't the traditional triangle or diamond shape- it's more like a panel. I guess a gore? I dunno- it's similar to some of the methods we use for medieval tunics.

Bastion (Scott Coutcher)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
The lightsaber should have similar coloring to the one we see on screen and obviously overall design but I don't know if having the mother of pearl on it should be required. Perhaps optional for that aspect?

As a suggestion taking language from one of the Rey CRLs "Rey’s Lightsaber (Skywalker graflex.) Lightsaber must be replica quality and accurate scale" and adapting it might work best.

"Lightsaber: Leia's Jedi Training Lightsaber. Lightsaber must be replica quality and accurate scale/appearance. If bladed, blade color must be blue."

That would cover if the saber didn't use actual mother of pearl but something close visually. You could put an option for mother of pearl in as well as you suggest.

As for the picture in the new Lightsaber book, all of the artwork in the book are drawings and not actual photos of the characters and sabers. I think they did this to be consistent when there were animated vs. live action actors. The picture of Leia does give a good view of the sleeve but its not a set photo, just an artists rendering. I can try to upload a picture of it later today, but I'm not sure how helpful/accurate it is.
BMO Alderaan Base
Proud Member KJO and RLSC
instarlight (Anya)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelLady wrote:

I thought these marked images might be useful in looking at construction. What I'm calling a gusset above isn't the traditional triangle or diamond shape- it's more like a panel. I guess a gore? I dunno- it's similar to some of the methods we use for medieval tunics.

Would agree with the diagram you drew of the seams, and would like to and that verbiage should say that they are flat felled.
instarlight (Anya)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

RebelLady wrote:

Would agree with the diagram you drew of the seams, and would like to and that verbiage should say that they are flat felled.
instarlight (Anya)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

RebelLady wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: