Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a46ea044677f82b02d9a07946118407cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbitsizedtrooper ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now onto the skirt! So to prevent the seams from being shown in the final product, I sewed the main skirt pieces together and then the lining skirt pieces together.

Sewing the main pieces together.

Once I got that done, I pinned the lining to the main with wrong sides together.

For some strange reason, a couple of the lining pieces came out longer than my main fabric pieces despite being cut from the same pattern. The lining I think is a bit of a looser weave, so maybe it stretched a bit, I don't know. I fixed this by zigzag stitching close to the edge to finish the seams then trimming any excess fabric.

Next, I had to decide how to go about attaching the band that goes around the edge. I was dumb and nearly completely forgot to cut the fabric for the band whilst cutting out the rest of the fabric. Luckily, I had just enough scrap to be able to measure out three pieces, two for the skirt and one for the torso... or so I had thought. Turned out that I had cut the band piece for the torso a couple inches too short and it wasn't long enough to reach the waist seam and I had no scraps long enough to fix the problem. Thankfully, I had cut the skirt band pieces to include the hem. So, instead of doing the hem last like I had originally planned, I sewed the skirt to the torso and moved onto hemming.

Sewing skirt to torso

Skirt attached to the torso, before hemming.

I went with a wide hem for both my sleeves and skirt. Originally I had wanted to do a narrow hem for my sleeves, but after getting them pinned up on my mockup, I realized I didn't like how long the sleeves were. I could have modified my sleeve pattern to account for this, but I decided not to and kept the wide hem. Basically, for a wide hem, I folded the edge once and pinned in place, checking that it was once inch wide. I then ironed it, being careful of the pins (I found that out the hard way). I then folded the hem a second time, also one inch, pinned and ironed again. You of course don't have to iron, it just makes things easier. Honestly, this was the first time I have ever ironed a sewing project.

Now with my skirt and torso attached and my hem finished, I moved on to the band. I wound up sewing the three band pieces together.

I had to pin and repin the band to the rest of the tunic several times. For some reason, if I started pinning from one end, I had excess, but if I started from the other end, I came up short. In the end, I wound up with the perfect amount.

The only problem is the seams of the band don't align with the seam at the waist. It hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue so long as I make sure the seams are covered by my obi.

I added some hook and eyes closures and the waist seem.

The finished product, with added belt to see how it would look.

And that's my outer tunic! Now I get to figure out how I want to do my inner tunic.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks well made. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, keep up the good work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: