Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a8bafd1cc80adbe69ba5c9730aeabd4bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Knight Revan WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKorr13 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Jedi Knight Revan WIP Reply with quote

Statement: HK-47 is ready to serve, master.

After quite a while of reading previous forum posts, especially the amazing work done by Jabari and Coryphefish and planning my own costume, I'm finally making some progress on my Jedi Knight Revan! Revan is my all time favorite character, Star Wars and beyond. I remember sitting down to play KOTOR for the first time ever, back in December 2003. I was blown away by the story and the fact that you could choose so much of the story line and make the main character your own! Star Wars video games are what really gave me a great love for the franchise, from Rogue Squadron to the Jedi Knight Series, to the Obi-Wan game. So, because of that, I obviously had to pick my actual favorite to make a costume out of! I always made my 'main Revan' Light Side, whenever I played her, and I'm so happy there is the option to create the 'Star Forge Robes' for the Rebel Legion!

(I'm hoping my photos come through, I've never used image sharing via public sites.)

Here is my character plan with a quick in game screenshot:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jvn9b3]

I plan to have two lightsabers, RH purple, and LH green. That's always been my go to lightsaber color, because purple is my favorite color, and green in honor of Master Chief from the Halo series, another favorite franchise.

Boots, I'll look around for. I don't have any that work, though some of the natural weathering on my personal boots probably would be really convincing...

Now clearly, the most important part of the costume is the part that isn't actually In the stated requirements, so naturally I started with those first. Mostly because 3D Modeling is fun!

My favorite head gear in the game was the Vacuum Mask, but in order to show my face, I am planning on my second favorite: the Verpine Headband (Yay +5 Awareness and +2 Charisma!)

So I made this!

I did a few test prints for sizing, and still have to model the LED area/batteries, but that's on hold for now while my printer is busy.

I also really wanted to have Revan's mask as an option too! In order to size it to my head, I made a headform:

Not going to lie, I wasn't 100% sure I could get it off...

Success!! I used an old Go - Karting head covering (I randomly have had for probably 5 years) to protect my hair from the blue tape. With this, I was able to have a great starting point for my mask!

I had decided to model the sides of the cheeks as well - I plan to paint them in Black 2.0 to potentially make them harder to see, vs just having the balaclava fabric showing. I did a test print on half of the model, and it fit quite well! I plan to pad the top, and use a couple straps on the side and top to secure it to my head under my hood. Again, that will probably be on hold for awhile, while i finish some rather long multi-day prints for other projects.

Now the actual costume part! I did a lot of fabric swatch ordering, and I settled on an outer fabric for my tunic, after getting a chance to go to Joann in person. It has a nice weave, feels like it will drape well (though not 100% easy to tell) and matches quite well to the references. I may do some color bleach or dye tests to see if i can get the detailed color changes that seem to be apparent in references, as well.

Fabric! On sale!

In order to get more of a female fitted tunic, I took an old pattern i had made for an Emperor Palpatine dress with front and back princess seams. The seams will be covered by the leather armor, and will allow the fabric to fit more closely to my shape. I also decided I wanted to be able to fight in said tunic dress, as well as have a few of the gathers that I can see on the reference. My first attempt at sizing for gathers was wayyyyyy too many... I cut them in half, and that worked much better. The skirt isn't straight A Line, so that I can move more easily. Now, I have a nice muslin tunic base. I may add a small amount of room to the arms still, since I plan to line the fabric with some linen.

Here is the cut out pieces! Minus skirt section:

Princess Seams:

Skirt gathers with fake 'Vest':

And sleeve! Ignore the Really bad sewing job. I changed the sleeve pattern a bit since i made it larger and didn't really do that great of a job matching the curve at 11 pm...

I haven't started the mantle, though I have some basic hood patterns I've made over the years, and will probably modify one of those. For now though, I am also looking into sketching out/planning out the armor, and getting that leather ordered. I have some experience with leather working, but nothing of this size or complexity before, so I will learn as I go!

Thanks for reading! Smile
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic start, can't wait to have another member of Team Revan!

I'm really excited to see how the mask with the Black 2.0 bits turns out. And that's a nice choice of fabric too.

If you need additional references, I compiled all mine here, including the texture file which helped greatly with the armour: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv2dp6E

For the mantle(s) and hood, I went for a two piece approach, but I know some of our other Jedi Revans have done it all as one.

Good luck with the next bits!

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
Jedi Knight/Star Forge Revan
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
RKorr13 ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the references!! That's so much better than I would ever be able to get with my phone to tv or ipad screen!! I definitely want to see how the natural fall of the full tunic compares for the shadow/highlight parts, and I do see a color change for the mantle/hood.

I'm also so glad to hear positive feedback on the fabric choice! I definitely agonized over that decision...

My current mantle and hood plan is that 2 piece approach, but I'll have to dive more in depth there planning wise, and make a decision on that.

Even if Black 2.0 doesn't work the way I'm envisioning (I expect it would work best with shadowy lighting, and I'm not sure how it will contrast in normal light with the light fabric) I'm just really excited to try using it!
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome, happy to be of help!

I went back and forth several times on whether the tunic/mantle/hood were the same fabric or not, and eventually decided to use the same. That being said, I lined/backed the lower mantle with a much heavier fabric than the rest of the soft parts so that it fell more in line with the references.

Getting the hood shape right was the trickiest bit of the soft parts for me, so if you want some photos of how mine is shaped, send me a PM.

My mask looks amazing with just ordinary black paint on the cheeks, so I can't wait to see what Black 2.0 would look like on one.

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
RKorr13 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. I ordered lining fabric, in a darker color than for the rest of the tunic, and the mantle and hood will be 3 layers instead of two - outer, lining, facing, where the facing is the same fabric as the outer so it matches. I am unsure that the darker fabric will make much difference, given the weave of the main fabric. It does let light through, but may be too tight for a slightly darker cast. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks for the hood photo offer! I'm definitely curious how you did that. the front and sides of it look different than the Jedi cloaks I am used to.

------------------------------------------------

Quick update to my costume, since I will be busy on other projects for a few weeks! (Will be nice to get rid of all that stuff hanging over my head...)

- Real fabric is here!! I love it so much.
- Lining fabric on the way!
- Black 2.0 ordered!
- Mold/Casting supplies ordered for the red transparent sections of the verpine headband! It's nice to sometimes work in a materials lab and have already used some of these supplies!
- Arm sleeve curve fixed!
- Plan started for the leather armor! I am someone who needs to plan out EVERY STEP so I can do things correctly, so I'm working on sketches and techniques and will post those when I have them!
- Verpine Headband LED areas are fully modeled and ready to be printed! LEDs ordered! Lights are always fun.

Be back with more in a few weeks!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKorr13 wrote:

- Black 2.0 ordered!

You're going for the second blackest black in existence? Cool. Cool

Good luck with the project when you get back to it. Very Happy

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

themarko60 ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm researching this costume to, can you tell me more about the fabric. Did you get from JoAnne's? I know they have a linen looking fabric that looks similar.

Thanks.
Mark
RKorr13 ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back with another update!

Quote:
You're going for the second blackest black in existence? Cool.

Good luck with the project when you get back to it.

I mean, I need a bit of darkness in this costume seeing as I never fully pay for HK-47 in game without threatening the shopowner first, so I will revel in some Dark Side Points!

Thanks!! Very Happy

Quote:
I'm researching this costume to, can you tell me more about the fabric. Did you get from JoAnne's? I know they have a linen looking fabric that looks similar.

Hi Mark! Yes, the outer fabric is from Joann. It was an upholstery fabric (there were several possibilities in the upholstery section) and I chose a Kelly Ripa brand, in the color "Sand" I believe it was 55 " wide. The inner lining for my main tunic is a linen fabric from Fabric.com, and the one I picked is a bit thicker than the linen/linen looks you may find at Joann.

Hope that helps! Smile

I finished my massive projects, and was able to get a good bit more done on Rev's Star Forge Robes. A very large shout out to Dangams for a lot of help, pattern discussion, and sanity checks for multiple pieces of this costume!!

So after my initial patterns were completed, I made my changes and cut the pieces out of the Main Fabric! That was slightly nerve wracking, but I knew I could always get more fabric. Before cutting, I washed and dried the fabric on high heat to both soften and get rid of any shrinkage. Though as it has no natural fibers, that wasn't really a concern. I didn't even have to iron it after!

Here is the skirt - I changed the waist even a bit more, because i felt it was too poufy, and so it was only a bit larger than the upper bodice pattern.

Next are the bodice patterns with the princess seam style pattern pieces:

Sleeves corrected! I don't know what I was thinking when I made the first sleeve pattern, but those curves did Not match the arm holes. Now they do!

So this upper body pattern is one I had made back in December, for an Emperor Palpatine inspired dress. My friend and I went to see Rise of Skywalker on opening night dressed as Emperor and Senator Palps. However, I didn't realize how much size I'd lost in the past 8 months, and the size disparity showed up a lot more in the real fabric. I had to take a lot in at the hips, waist, and arms. Normally, I'd grade the whole pattern down, but the princess seams still looked fine to me! So I went through several pin, sew, repin iterations to make sure I didn't take anything in too far, too quickly.

Next, because the seams were poufy, I had to make sure to iron them, so they would lay flat, and become close to invisible. This process uses a piece of wood to capture the moisture from the steam press, in order to trap the heat inside the fabric.

Original Seam:

Pressing, then pressing with wood. I don't have a tailors wooden clapper, so I used a scrap piece of wood I had lying around. I recommend using wood with a smooth edge, so you don't have to worry about damaging the fabric, but I like to live on the edge:

Final Seam - slightly discolored since it wasn't dry:

It really flattens out with this method, since 100% polyester doesn't take to pressing with just a bit of heat all that well!

I realized that I forgot to take photos of the linen lining, but here is my general process for that. I made the same pattern pieces out of a light colored lining, and sewed them in the same way as the outer fabric. For the sleeves and skirt bottom, I sewed a section of the outer fabric to the edges, so that none of the linen can be seen at the seam edges. Then, I sewed the skirts of the main fabric and lining, right sides together, and turned the whole thing inside out, so that none of the seams were visible on the inside of the tunic. Then, I hand slip stitched the sleeve edges together. In the back, I turned the raw edges over twice, then added an invisible zipper from the waist to about 2/3rds of the way up. I then added a collar, made of two layers of outer fabric, plus one layer of flexible stabilizer (it's very lightweight and thin) and sewed the collar on to the final raw edges of the bodice. I left the section without the zipper, so that I could close the collar to the exact size I wanted, so it would be as flush as possible against my neck.

And here is the result! In 2 pictures because it's hard to take full selfies:

Upper Area:

Lower Area:

Full Tunic on Hanger, since my dressform is occupied:

I made some sort of measuring error on the inner lining, because the skirt bottom seam doesn't line up exactly right, so I did a few bastes at the waist to match up where the skirt should be. That fixed the issue, so no more weird poufy bottom!

Yay!! I have a tunic!!

VERPINE HEADBAND!
Has made some progress! I have printed out all of the pieces, and need to clean them up/get rid of layer lines. But here is a quick breakdown of the inner pieces. I made an earhole based off my glasses temples, and did several size tests. I also printed the inner section in 2 segments so I wouldn't have to use support structures. Then I glued them together, and still need to finish them. The other hole is for the battery pack for the LEDs. It came with a switch that will be toggle-able from the back of these parts:

E6000 where I definitely put it in places it wasn't necessary:

All wrapped up!:

And after having printed several visor sizes, I found two that would work, and will choose between them after casting both in the red, see-through resin. But here is the inner pieces with the visor, fitting very nicely!:

Luckily, all the pieces I need are printed, and ready to go. My 3D printer had a catastrophic failure today, and I need to figure that out. Thankfully, it doesn't interfere with my progress on this headband! I'm very excited to cast the pieces, and see them in real life!

Next up - I'm working on figuring out the mantle/hood, and will be making several options for that to see which works best. Dangams has been giving a lot of great input on that, and now I'm ready to put it into action. I also have started sketching out the leather armor pieces, and need to order the leather, since I know what I need to buy.

Thanks for reading! Revan comes closer and closer to reality!
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tunic looks fantastic! Very nicely done, and it fits fantastically. I'm happy my ramblings proved useful to you!

That's a nice trick with the wood for pressing synthetic fabrics - I seem to have an unconscious bias for natural fabrics, so I've never really worked with synthetic, but I'll definitely remember it if I do.

Looking forward to the next update!

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessssssssss, I love that you're doing this costume! It's on my long term wishlist and so far it looks great. Very Happy Love the fabric choice for the dress!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Pixeldust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Kessel Base XO
Kessel Base XO

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks awesome!

Mother of Jawas

RL Approved: Jawa, Jedi, Rey (WIP CW7 Ahsoka)
501st Approved: Jawa, Director Y. Isard, Iden Versio, IOC, IC, TI Rsv

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that looks really sharp. Very Happy Very nice!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: