Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f1cf4f1da7a196420e557766d6846b14Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mara Jade - Nezmi Bubble-cliffs outfit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Legends (EU)costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Mara Jade - Nezmi Bubble-cliffs outfit Reply with quote

Hello. Smile

I'd like to share how I did my newest RL costume, which is one of Mara's disguise outfits when she pretends to be a baroness in the comic 'Mara Jade - By the Emperor's Hand'.
She wears this costume after she has left the Empire and decided to take on Black Nebula by herself and the costume itself is very simple. (There are quite a few possible optional items to use with it though).

I started out with the poncho, which is pointed front and back, but rounded over the shoulders/arms.
IMG_1522

It has a fairly large neckline where a small standing collar goes. In the comic there's no seams on the poncho, but for construction you really can't do it without one.
The collar is reinforced with iron on interfacing to give it a bit of height since my fabric will not stand on its own at all. (Very slinky fabric).
I started out with 7 cm, but later on took the collar apart and cut off 2 cm, because it stood too high. The current 4 cm height is much better. Smile (1 cm goes into the seam allowance).
IMG_1545

IMG_1549

There's extra length on the side without interfacing to create some slouching. Smile

Then I went on to creating the sleeve patches. I bought a black dancer's bodysuit, so all I had to do was add the light grey patched to it. It goes around the wrists, up the underarm, and up around the elbow.
IMG_1555

Again I hid the seams as much as possible. The wrist seam is on the inside where it will be less visible.
I also hand stitched the patches on so that there would be no top stitching anywhere.
IMG_1560

I got the patches positioned by putting on the suit, then the sleeves (closed at the wrists) and putting in a few needles to make sure it was more or less in the right space. I smoothed out the fabric after I had taken it off again and then sewed it on.

IMG_1565

I also added 3 cm to the sleeves' length, because I'm a tall person and they were just a tad short on me. Wink
IMG_1561

And the wig! Got mine from Wig is fashion and was at first worried it was way too curly. But once I took a comb to it it became much better! I took a halfway there picture just to show the difference between having only used my fingers to separate the curls and actually combing the hair out.
IMG_1593

Huge difference! Of course, the hair was then braided so the left over curls were fine. The biggest pita was the different lengths when braiding. But the color is perfect for comic Mara. Mara Jade

And finally the finished costume!
IMG_1631

IMG_1597

IMG_1595

Like I said at first, this is just the basic costume consisting of black, unadorned boots, black jumpsuit with grey patches, grey poncho, and the coppery, braided hair.

I also want to make her shoulder bag (because who doesn't want a costume that can include a big bag?) and have sourced the materials for this. Smile I don't know when I'll be starting on that project, but I got my leather in the color 'cognac' (light-medium brown).
Not sure if I'll go for any of the weapons, too, but it can always be a future upgrade. Smile

If this has made anyone curious about the costume, then this is just one of many excellent costumes in that comic and I have begun work on writing a standard for this.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Legends (EU)costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: