Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0dcb031258f4b9d71272aeb8b6e7edcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

No Facebook (or ...)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xSchmitterSx ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: No Facebook (or ...) Reply with quote

Wondering, if there are other members of Rebel Legion who aren't on Social Media?

I don't have Facebook (anymore, 2x disabled for unknow reasons).

I still have Instagram the PC version, but i don't know for how long. Because, of the upgrade of Mozilla Firefox, that upgrade is not that loved by Facebook related products (like Instagram).

As, i don't have an smartphone.

But, i still have an oldschool/oldfashion E-mail, and Skype.

How do you stay in contact with your base?

Those who don't have social media, because lately everything happens on Facebook, and if you don't have Facebook, you got forgotten.

It seems Forums are slowly dying.
Or not used anymore by bases.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone has a Facebook account, I know people that don't, and while Facebook does have its uses I don't think that it works well as a primary source for communication with base members. I think forums work much better for that sort of stuff, and information is much more easily found on a forum. But that's just me.

Forums do seem to be a thing of the past, unfortunately. I've witnessed that very thing even on this RL forum. This place used to be fairly bustling, now it's pretty much a ghost town.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Facebook. And you are correct. If you don't use Facebook, you don't get all the info and you miss events and the like. People say they post things here, but they don't always do so.

I use Twitter. No Instagram or other sites. Just Twitter. I miss the crap out of LiveJournal, which was better than all of others listed.

But Facebook is the devil. For so many reasons. So I'm with you. No, thanks. Missing the occasional event is OK by me. Stinks, though.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Facebook. Some people can't live without it. Facebook is a virus!
I have people who won't even talk to me anymore because I refuse to use it.

I guess I don't stay in contact with the base except for a few people I talk to on the phone. I found out who my friends are really quickly.

Their loss. Confused
xSchmitterSx ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Blue Banshee ... i'm also of the opinion, the best way to connect with all members is the forum. Because, seems a lot arranged on Facebook Messenger. But, not everone is at the same time online (work, house, shopping, ...° so lot of communication get lost, but this is my thoughts or opinion.

By posting club matter members, can answer at own speed/time.

But i admit, i'm oldschool with these things.

I seen it when i was XO of Rebel Legion Benelux, it wasn't easy to get in touch with everyone of the members, or get them together for video meeting.
xSchmitterSx ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 ... i believe Facebook and Social Media can be a handy tool. For PR etc.

Before, i joined Rebel Legion ... i organised underground/d.i.y./hardcore/straight edge gigs. Internet in that time was limited. Myspace, was helpfull for connecting with bands or promoting, and of course few forums.

When i became member, didn't understand why every base had his own forum. I was always of thought, to keep base forums active on this forum, so we stayed connected with Base.

I must say, the last two years ... i had to figure out myself where i could go trooping. Positive thing about my past, many of the today Comic Cons in Belgium, the one who organise it, where visitors or played in of the bands of my gigs.

And, my years of been XO are also been helpfull. So, i could stay active.
xSchmitterSx ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL

Well ... i was one of the first users of Facebook, but wasn't happy with few changes and attitudes from Facebook side. So, i got kicked/banned of Facebook.

Early, this year i bought a new computer after +/- 15 years. And switched to Linux Mint.

But, i wanted to get connected back with my base ... in de time i didn't have Facebook, they didn't keep me updated of any thing, i had to send e-mails and hoping they would answer (what they did), but still felt left out.

So, with having a new IP and (getting older) got softer in been a rebelscum and try to accept the system, i restarted Facebook, but with an upgrade of Mozilla/Firefox got kicked/banned again. But, few days later ... got msg of Facebook that my account never beign shutdown, and that i never was kicked/banned. Facebook is weird.

JediXXL i have see you a lot on these forums active, it's sad suddenly people forget about eachother. I truly love/like Rebel Legion ... it's my second life.

But, i fear i'm to oldschool minded then the rest, and still believe in " we ", and in club spirit. I didn't join Rebel Legion, to get in free on conventions. And, i have thanks to Rebel Legion amazing time.

I hope i can stay for a few more years a member of Rebel Legion.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thyhadras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly FB is great for directing attention to something in short order.

However, to actually disseminate information the forums are the best way to go as things do not just slide down into eternity where people will miss them.

Like, FB definitely has its uses in having live conversations and such but again, to put out information that is readily accessible the forums are hands down the best way to go.

Approved Formal Costumes
Jedi Knight Revan
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is convenient because everyone's always on it everywhere all the time (even when they are taking a dump) and it integrates with other apps so you can easily add events to your personal calendar, etc

Scrolling through old posts slows it all down, even on a super powerful machine. It's search tool is poor and rudimentary at best, and its tools for organizing content are limited.
Consequently it encourages a kind of group amnesia.

Of course people on the internet don't read and us "Forum Fogies" have certainly seen people ask the same questions that answered on the on the same page.

Facebook groups are similar to the old Yahoo groups. Low barrier to entry but too limited to support anything but small groups or limited functions of a large one.

Facebook also makes it difficult to maintain civility because there is no clear separation between politics and club activities. Every successful group has figured out that you need to allow a certain amount of off-topic discussion for the purposes of social cohesion but certain topics just lead to problems so they are off limits.

About 15 years ago the RPF tried a "Flamepit" forum where anything was allowed. An interesting experiment but the heat generated in there didn't stay there regardless of whatever rules there were so it was abandoned.

Of course Facebook is the "Flamepit," so it hardly seems surprising when the little groups on it are on fire too.

Of course, most costuming and cosplay groups are small, short lived, and politically and socially homogeneous anyway, so I guess Facebook groups work just fine in those circumstances.

Forums have their own shortcomings of course. Maybe someone will come up with something better than both.
Yub-Yub ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally got attacked on Fb because I was against our events being handled exclusively posted on Fb.

It happened about 3 years ago. Our area captain wanted to post the events on the boards, lock the threads on the boards, and handle the events exclusively on the NTX RL FB page. I stood against it because not everyone wants to be on Fb.

I had a conversation via FB Pm with the area captain, the base CO, William Holmes(LCO) and Rick Bouwhuis (LCOG) They came to the conclusion that the area captain can do whatever they want with how to deal the events and that if I didn't want to sign up for the events via Fb I could PM the area captain on the boards. I didnt like the idea but I said I would do as they suggest. They also agreed that should the area captain fail in carrying out with what was agreed that events would go back to the boards.

I didnt do an event for months until about 5 months later I saw an event that was listed as a force Friday event on the boards, no location was given. I pm'd the area captain and asked the location and who was going. I was told it was at a Target and that if I wanted to see who was going that I would have to join the NTX RL Fb group.

Of course I wrote to Rick and told him my issues with what I was just told including the fact that I had just blocked the person in question. Me, my wife, the Base CO and the Rick had a conversation via FB PM. IT was agreed upon that the area caotain could continue handling the events on FB but that the events posted on the RL boards needed to be updated such as lists. Furthermore it was decided that the area captain needed to handle the events on FB as an admin that way should me and/or my wife want to join the FB group then we could participate while at the same time still keep the area captain blocked.

That's when the area captain attacked me and my wife on the local RL FB page. he was forced to take it down but when he did he took it to his personal Fb page and asked everyone who has had a problem with me and my wife to come forward. At the time I didn't know what was going on I was getting updates from friends and the LCOG himself.

I did end up getting the screen caps, it totals over 200 printed pages. The LCOG observed that if I was so bad why was this the first time he had heard of it, he also notes that what he was witnessing was public bullying. Rick did tell me that I could bring the area captain up on charges which I attempted but it was dropped and I had found out later that the LCOG recused himself because it was suggested that he do so by a Rl council member and a 501st officer even though the members attacking us wanted the LCOG there

I wrote to William Holmes about the incident. He asked me for some details and when I gave them to him he just stopped writing to me .

This will probably get me kicked out and attacked. I have the screen shots. I didn't bring it up because I thought everyone sides with the LCO and/or that everyone was okay with the events being on FB. I have brought up this issue many times on the 501st since so many 501st members were involved and what happened was associated with another issue that involved my wife and I getting wrongfully issued a legion gag order ( the legion LCOG's words)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yub-Yub wrote:
I'm sorry that you went through that and I've been through similar attacks myself. My old base put me through hell, to the point that I ended up leaving that base and joining one in another state. Even an RL staff member began harassing me in partnership with them. The issues were never entirely addressed and, around two or three years later, I still get the occasional jab by someone from the old base. So while the reasons for the attacks were different I can certainly understand what you went through, and might still be going through... I've been through it myself.

I'll leave it at that as to not drag this thread off-topic.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yub-Yub ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Yub-Yub wrote:
I'm sorry that you went through that and I've been through similar attacks myself. My old base put me through hell, to the point that I ended up leaving that base and joining one in another state. Even an RL staff member began harassing me in partnership with them. The issues were never entirely addressed and, around two or three years later, I still get the occasional jab by someone from the old base. So while the reasons for the attacks were different I can certainly understand what you went through, and might still be going through... I've been through it myself.

Wow so it happened to you too. And from what I have read here others as well. It seems to me that these clubs need to either choose one or the other, business on the boards or on Fb. I can accept business on FB if we implement rules on what you can and cant do on social media and actually enforce those said rules but until then we just have a wild west that's convenient and the officers are saying that convenience is more important than members rights and safety.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yub-Yub wrote:
Yub-Yub wrote:

Wow so it happened to you too. And from what I have read here others as well. It seems to me that these clubs need to either choose one or the other, business on the boards or on Fb. I can accept business on FB if we implement rules on what you can and cant do on social media and actually enforce those said rules but until then we just have a wild west that's convenient and the officers are saying that convenience is more important than members rights and safety.
Ditto. Though what happened to me wasn't because of RL or base business being conducted on Facebook, it was relating to another matter (though it was connected to Facebook, but that website wasn't the primary reason behind it all). I was just meaning that I've been through base harassment myself, that you're not alone in that regard.

Anyway, I do agree that business should be conducted on the forum where it's easily accessible to everyone. Facebook has its uses, and I don't mind it being used for quick messages, or for advertising, or even reminders of "hey, don't forget this event is this weekend" or "we just posted up this new event on the forum, take a look"... But it shouldn't be for full discussions or formal business. Information is too hard to find on Facebook, it's difficult to moderate, people feel freer to say whatever they want on it and act in much more hostile ways on it, and as has been said, not everyone uses it. But everyone uses the RL or base forum-- that is, they have to at least sign up on the forum(s) to become a member and usually are at least mildly active.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I do agree that business should be conducted on the forum where it's easily accessible to everyone. Facebook has its uses, and I don't mind it being used for quick messages, or for advertising, or even reminders of "hey, don't forget this event is this weekend" or "we just posted up this new event on the forum, take a look"... But it shouldn't be for full discussions or formal business. Information is too hard to find on Facebook, it's difficult to moderate, people feel freer to say whatever they want on it and act in much more hostile ways on it, and as has been said, not everyone uses it. But everyone uses the RL or base forum-- that is, they have to at least sign up on the forum(s) to become a member and usually are at least mildly active.

I will say though, the forums are TERRIBLE to access on a mobile. And I'm in an area where I might have to access my base's forum, the local 501st's forum, AND the next state over's 501st forum to find events, because my base overlaps two 501st garrisons, and for historical reasons they tend to post even Rebel Legion events on the 501st site.

Meanwhile, on Facebook, I see event notifications from my base, both 501st groups, the Mercs, and various other people in costuming groups, without having to make a special search. I found out about a really cool event 2 states away because a friend posted it, and every costuming meetup I've ever done was organized on Facebook.

The forums aren't necessarily always better for long-term information....the old resources are all victims to the Photobucket thing as well as archives that are sometimes just broken. Some Facebook groups are definitely better than others about putting resources in the Group Files where they're more easily searched and found.

People have just migrated off of forums generally. If I want quick answers (or any answers, a lot of the time) about a costume, I go to that costume's Facebook group. I can post a picture there from my phone, instead of logging onto Imgur and getting a bb code, then logging in here and posting. It's unwieldy. I'm honestly only here now because there was a specific thing I was looking up about submitting another costume, and thought I'd check to see if anyone's commented on my two current WIPs in the last month (they haven't).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: