Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cb0fdd370098edd66b5fabc80486fc34Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X-Wing Pilot Code Cylinders -- how to secure to flightsuit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsollber ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: X-Wing Pilot Code Cylinders -- how to secure to flightsuit Reply with quote

I'm finishing my X-wing pilot costume and I have a question about the shoulder code/data cylinders. Should the code cylinders be attached to the flightsuit so they don't fall out? If yes, what method have other members used to secure them? Your feedback and experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Dave.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are not attached. I rarely have issues with them falling out when I fold up my flightsuit, etc. No problems at all when worn.

On one hand, I'd like to attach mine for ease when folding and throwing in my tote, etc. On the other, it's nice to remove them for laundering (it's done occasionally...).

So if I ever attach mine, might figure out a velcro or magnet situation. I know some are riveted on, etc, though.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are not attached, either. Part of the fun in suiting up for me is sliding them into the slots.
dsollber ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wabbit89 and Blackthorpe, thank you for the quick replies. I really appreciate your help and hearing about your first-hand experiences.

May the Force be with you,
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-tip, if you're worried:

Just loop a rubber band around the end a few times. That should give it more than enough grip to stop it from easily sliding out of the pocket.

Or for something more permanent (yet still removable), and less likely to slide off and get stuck in the pocket: A few rings of E6000 around the end of the rods should accomplish much the same thing.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Pro-tip, if you're worried:

Just loop a rubber band around the end a few times. That should give it more than enough grip to stop it from easily sliding out of the pocket.

Or for something more permanent (yet still removable), and less likely to slide off and get stuck in the pocket: A few rings of E6000 around the end of the rods should accomplish much the same thing.

*blink, blink*

Um...yes. Rubber band. Pro tip indeed.

(I was considering just putting a little hook Velcro on mine for the same reason. Just a bit of grippy, so to speak. But rubber bands sounds like a better idea. I will say that mine are just a bit too short for my pocket, so I put dowels inside them to lengthen them just a bit and create slightly varying heights, which looks nice. So, that's my pro tip if needed.) Wink
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

dsollber ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips, thank you!

I was going to slide a piece of tygon tubing over the data cylinder shaft to lengthen it, but I like Wabbit89's suggestion of using a dowel rod inside the shaft much better.

I definitely plan to try Kman's rubber band wrap suggestion. It's a simple low-tech fix that will address my concern. I'll probably put a wrap of tape around the top edge of the rubber band so it does not slide off.

Thanks again for the "pro" tips!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few minutes today, and after finding out I had a bag of mostly dead and no longer useful rubber bands in my desk drawer, I tried this out. Here are my cylinders.

How they've been since I got them and also made my arm pocket just a bit too long for them:

First try with rubber bands - also nice because while the dowels work great, then can slide out because I didn't glue them in because it's so no big deal. Not a clinical problem, so didn't need a cure, but now held in place perfectly well:

Turns out, that was too much rubber band. My slots are pretty close fitting for them, so I just needed a bit/a thinner rubber band:

Et voila:

I gave it a decently hard shake (much more than my changing does), and this was the result. I'll take it. They're easily removable by hand, but don't fall out on their own. Perfect.

Excellent tip, Kman! Can't believe I didn't think of it (though to be fair, like I said, it wasn't a major problem - still, this is better!). Thanks! Hive mind for the win!

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help! I did the exact same thing with dowels for my cylinders, btw, so they always stay lined up just how I like them. Smile

One thing I did with mine: Wrap the end of the dowels with some masking tape. Just enough to give a little friction fit as I insert them, so they don't fall out easily. Quite easy to fine tune it, and again, a low tech solution that costs nearly nothing to try.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that on other things, but I never needed it with the dowels here. I really never had an issue with things slipping around much at all. One might fall out in my tote every now and then, but not enough to matter. With the rubber bands, though, definitely not an issue. I won't have to be careful how I fold the sleeve anymore (I leave mine in the sleeve all the time). So, yay! And I just looped one bit around the dowel, so...no worries about making them fit more.

But the tape trick lines the inside of my Rey staff (it's double PCV* - a larger and a smaller diameter, with a thin layer of electrical tape making the inner pipe fit tightly enough to not shift) and my Mindy Stick (Hit-Girl) is all tape gaskets all over the place. Ha!

*If I made my Rey staff again, I'd probably use a dowel or aluminum pipe, for stiffness, but the PCV is light, so it's a bit of a wash. But one PCV pipe was too floppy when I moved the staff around, so I added the second pipe later and it works well. But needed just a bit of grip to have a tight enough fit for it to work. Tape is awesome. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: