Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c4f51c491a88d0057c23bbd38a22b10dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Old Rex Build for Kashyyyk Base
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Old Rex Build for Kashyyyk Base Reply with quote

Finally decided to go ahead and get started on a new project: old Rex from Rebels. I received the Armor and helmet from Imperial Outfitters today. I'm kind of excited to have a face character I can mostly pull off, AND there's a helmet I can wear, too, for those times I just want to be faceless. I will need to modify the helmet quite a bit, since Kevin doesn't have a Rebels version or a realistic Rex. I will also need to modify the belt, both for fit and to raise the buckle. Plus, since it isn't full armor, I'll still be able to sit down and walk comfortably. ;-)

Parts list: (updated 7/6/20)
Chest/back armor-Prepped
Shoulder straps- Prepped
Shoulder bells- Prepped
Forearm armor- Assembled
Hand plates- Assembled
Foot plates- Assembled
Belt- Prepped
Holsters- Assembled
Belt boxes- Assembled
Greaves- Assembled
Helmet- Ordered
Black shirt- In hand. May need to alter sleeves slightly.
Grey pants with attached kneepads- In hand, need to figure out kneepads.
Black/grey fingerless gloves- Assembled
White shoes/boots-In hand
Blasters-Complete

20200608_173738 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200608_175831 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200608_175709 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200608_180003 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200608_180123 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Here are the soft parts I got, all should be arriving today if I don't already have it:
Shirt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078QZN3C9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pants: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HF4LX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG7F5W4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Shoes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD62MVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the blasters: https://www.etsy.com/listing/790260175/dc-17-clone-blaster-pistol-3d-printed?ref=hp_rf-2

I also ordered these parts to modify the helmet and because the IS kit didn't have a comlink: https://www.etsy.com/listing/699293242/rebels-old-rex-helmet-and-comm-pad?ref=hp_rf-1&frs=1 (He also put in greeblies for the back armor.)

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 pm; edited 8 times in total
NavySith ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this build

Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants and shoes arrived yesterday and should work very well. Last night I also placed an order for industrial strength velcro and a set of lexan scissors, as were recommended to Heidi on the FB group page. I will, at some point, need to figure out the best way to attach the holsters to the belt, and the shoulder bells to the armor. I am also hoping that I can figure out a way to not have the chest and back armor plates permanently stuck together, but I don't know if that will be possible.

As far as working on the kit, last night I worked on sanding down the mold line on the helmet. That is a pain, and if anyone has any advice beyond sanding, sanding, and more sanding, I am open to it.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished rough cutting all of the armor last night and got the helmet back-off feature separated. Still need to finish removing the flashing and get the two pieces to fit together. Soon I'll be able to make sure I can get the thing on my ginormous head. 🤣🤣🤣 Still need to cut out the visor and the teeth. Its pretty close to being ready for a coat of primer and bonds if needed.

My etsy order of old Rex earpieces, compad, and back greeblies yesterday, and they all looked better than expected.

I think I'm going to need to find a different option for the belt. I could extend it on the sides, but the shape of it just doesn't suit my body. It would be great with the armor diaper, but it just doesn't seem like the square shape of it is good on its own. Plus, the buckle piece needs to be raised slightly. So, that will be a fun project.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a snag with the helmet. Got it trimmed up enough to try it on and it's too small for my giant noggin. Trying to decide if I want to put in the work it would take to get it wearable or sell it and look for one that fits better.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to handle the shoulders on the armor. The kit didn't come with an easy way to make the shoulders appear as they do in the show. I thought about leaving the flashing on the shoulders of the front and back pieces, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. I removed the flashing from the back, but not yet from the front. I am thinking that what I may do is remove the flashing, but attach it to the phase 2 style straps, then fill in and build up as needed with bondo or some other filler. I also don't think I can keep the two pieces permanently connected and be able to get it on. My plan is to attach velcro on one end of the shoulder strap and the front armor, making it easier to get on and off. This will make it so the shoulders cannot be completely seamless, but the straps that go over the armor will cover most of the seam. I also plan to use velcro to attach those straps, both to cover the shoulder seams and to aid with suiting up and down.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

2020-06-14_06-08-32 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played around with the chest and back pieces a bit. They definitely need some more trimming to fit around my arms, but I also think I'm going to need to extend the shoulder straps. This might make it so I can permanently connect the front and back and still be able to get it over my head. Could also be worth heating the pieces and kind of stretching out the curve. These kits are not made for someone my size. I might need to find someone to help me figure it out, though.

Looking at the belt, I may be able to make it work. I'm thinking of adding some heavy-duty elastic at the sides, where the front and back come together. It would be hidden by the belt boxes and should make it so this belt works for me. Still need to figure out the buckle part, though. I'm thinking of removing it from the belt as it is, figuring out some kind of closure mechanism, and then attaching the decorative buckle over that, this allowing it to be slightly raised as the standard looks to require.

I also spent a bunch of time sanding the edges on one half of a forearm, and think I need to find a place where I can go at all of that with a rotary tool. That just took way too long to do by hand with sandpaper, and I didn't even get all of the edges.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've almost finished trimming and sanding all of the parts, then I can start putting stuff together. I'm a bit nervous about this part, to be honest, particularly since the parts in this kit don't fit together as smoothly as Kevin's other clone kits. It's going to take some shims and a bunch of body filler. I am so looking forward to getting to the painting step, and then weathering. Those are my favorite parts.

Still need to figure out the chest/back armor and the kneepads. I'm thinking, also, about attaching the shoulder bells directly to the shirt with velcro, rather than using straps attached to the chest/back.

Should be getting the blasters delivered this weekend, and the helmet should be coming soon, too.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blasters arrived today, and with them yet another dilemma. The blasters are, as far as I can tell, the correct size. They are relatively small weapons. That said, the holsters from the armor kit are almost comically oversized. So, do I trim them down, or put a bunch of padding inside them. I feel like nothing about this build has been easy.

I'll try to get some pictures and maybe videos of various bits and pieces I could use advice on.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got productive today and assembled the greaves, forearms, shoulder bells (they have an inner part), holsters, and belt boxes. I still need to fill seams in all of them, and i havent installed velcro in anything yet (I'm thinking I'll do that after painting). I feel good about the progress, and more confident that I'll be able to work out the chest/back.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my progress to date. I have assembled the forearms and greaves, the holsters, and the belt boxes. I have also gotten a couple of coats of filler primer on the DC-17s. None of the butt joints I did lined up very well, so it's going to take a bit of work to get them looking good. The velcro closures also to close as flush as I would like, but I can work on that, too. I put velcro on the gloves and attached the hand plates, and attached velcro to the shoe plates, but I can't remember which direction they're supposed to go so I haven't attached them to the shoes yet. I made more progress on this that I thought I would this weekend, and that makes me happy.

20200628_174143 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174155 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174227 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174247 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174419 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174519 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174545 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174639 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174658 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174847 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_174935 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200628_175317 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For giggles, I just decided to try on my clone shoe and one of the greaves. And this ain't gonna work... the greaves are too short, which shouldn't be too hard to fix, but th bottom is where the problem is. I was hoping it would meet up with the shoe, but it doesn't. Looks like I'm going to need to keep looking for something that has a higher top. Definitely glad I didn't put the velcro on them now!

(Pardon my hairy leg)
2020-06-28_10-33-04 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

I'm also starting to worry that the pants I got aren't dark enough. It's hard to tell in the show, because sometimes they look lighter than others. I'm probably going to have to either dye them or find something darker. This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HF4LX0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_R9x-Eb1DMZN93. And here are two pictures of the color in hand, one with flash and one without in the terrible lighting in my apartment:

20200628_224159 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
20200628_224225 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

I kind of feel like the color they are is the color the knees should be.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured out what I need to do to get the greaves to work with the shoes I have. I hope. First, there is an area around the back ankle area that I removed, which will allow the whole thing to sit further forward. Take a look at the picture to see what I mean.

2020-06-30_06-46-04 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

It's still going to take some work, and I may end up having to rebuild the things from scratch, but it shouldn't be too hard. They need to go higher, anyway, and for some reason there are grooves around them, which would have to be filled in. So what I'm thinking is that I'll get some plastic sheets, possibly yard sale signs or something, and basically cover these greaves with something that has the correct height and shape. That's the thought, anyway. We'll see if that works or if i need to do something else.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blasters just need another coat of filler primer and sanding, and then I can paint and weather. It'll be nice to have at least one part complete. Laughing

2020-06-30_10-14-38 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some good Rex progress today. I got the second coat of bondo on the forearms and the holsters, and made the greaves a couple inches taller and added a heel plate before bondoing all of the seams and the grooves that are not on Rex's. (I have come to realize that most of Kevin's Old Rex kit is parts pulled from other kits, so they take extra work.) You'll notice that one of the forarms doesn't have bondo along the whole seam; that's where the compad will go. I decided to use bondo on the forearms because they surprisingly don't need to flex very much to get them on and off, and i didn't want to find the other options (I'm lazy). I also haven't sanded the holsters or greaves yet. That's the plan for tomorrow, and then some primer.

Blasters have been painted, but I am not happy with the dry brushing on them, so I might redo that.

I have an idea for the belt. It comes in two pieces, front and back. As it is right now, the ends don't quite meet on me, but one of the belt boxes goes right where the join would be, so I am thinking about using snaps and those boxes to join the two pieces together.

I picked up some dark grey dye for the pants, as well as some fabric for the knees and some iron-on stuff to attach them to the pants.

20200704_211302 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200704_211419 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200704_211431 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200704_211454 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200704_211524 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: