Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a90311faedcc48155eab3fd30b49353bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Funeral Gown Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Natalie's Funeral Gown Build Reply with quote

This costume has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I never really attempted it as I just didn't feel I had the skill set to accomplish it. However, with all the free time I have being under quarantine for Covid, and unemployed, I figured I would give it a shot. I finished up my college requirements this semester to obtain my theater degree so I figured this would be my celebratory item instead of a party or a trip.  Laughing

My goal was to keep this entire build under $200. I knew it was doable but would just take some time. Thankfully the LA Fashion district was finally open and I was able to go there to get items I needed.

My main concern for cost for this was the velvet. Everywhere I looked, velvet was expensive, not the right color or type or just not available. Since this was the main cost issue I didn't rush. I finally had time to head to LA and took my time perusing the stores. After each store , I made sure to use hand sanitizer and kept my face mask on so felt pretty safe while I was there.

I found a couple possibilities at a few stores but wasn't super happy with any of them as they all had stretch to them. It was when I was on my way back to my car that I decided to stop in at a store that listed velvet on the front door. The clerk said yes they did have navy blue velvet and showed it to me and I was shocked at how beautiful it was and spot on color when I compared it to photos on my phone. I crossed my fingers when asking the price and he said, "$6 a yard." I couldn't believe it and immediately said yes and ordered 7 yards. I normally would need around 6 but the velvet was only 45" wide and I bought the extra yard to make sure I would be able to make it long enough for my height. Total for velvet was only $46 and change which I was super excited about. It was also a poly blend so I was able to wash it which was such a relief! I don't know how long Covid could potentially live on fabric so being able to wash this was a huge relief.

As soon as I got home, I washed the fabric and let  it hang dry before cutting it into the cloak pieces. I used Simplicity 8721 as the base, View A.
I omitted the hood and extended the length by 9 inches to make sure it hit the floor on me.

Here is the cloak patterned out and hanging overnight to settle.

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never see a hint of the lining on this cloak but it had to have something so I purchased a beautiful blue satin at JoAnn's. I believe this is the one I got and with a 50% off coupon, I was able to get 7 yards for $19.38.
https://www.joann.com/glitterbug-satin-fabric--solid-royal/13619226.html#q=glitterbug%2Bsatin&start=1

I washed and cut out the lining the same day I purchased it and let it hang. I knew it would be awhile before I actually added it to the cloak but wanted it ready.

I went back and forth on what type of paint to use on the velvet. I initially thought of fabric paint but nixed that idea after I tested it and saw how incredibly thick and not clean it came out. While perusing the paint aisle at JoAnn's, I found these and decided to try them. For some reason, JoAnn's doesn't have this listed on their site right now but I was able to find the product on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-6383-Multi-Surface-Acrylic-Assorted/dp/B07Z8KFGNX?th=1

I purchased the colors Teal, Patina and Silver. I figured one bottle each would suffice and after the sale, it came to $24 plus $3 for an angled brush.

I did a fabric test swatch and was pleased with how the paint settled and dried with this paint.

I painted the first panel all on the floor. I don't have much space and thought this would work well. It did and it didn't as I wasn't able to "see" the flow of the paint as much on the floor as I would have if it had been hanging.

This was my first panel finished. I was sorta happy with it but not thrilled. In the back of my head though, I kept saying, "It only cost $70. If you mess up, it's not a big loss."

Having the cloak hanging here though gave me an idea. When I sat down to paint the next day, I decided to paint it all hanging from the hanger as opposed to on the floor and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! For one, my back didn't hurt from the bending over. I was able to paint 1/3 standing, 1/3 sitting on a chair and the last 1/3 sitting on the floor. It helped speed up my process and really helped me see the flow of the paint. This velvet soaks up paint. I found myself having to go over lines 2 or 3 times to make sure that the colors showed clearly. I was also pleased that the white appeared more gray on the fabric which matched what I needed.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In researching "How to paint on velvet", I came time and time again on the suggestion of acrylic mixed with a medium. I didn't really felt the need for it as it was applying well to the fabric as is and wasn't drying overly rough so I did not add it. That is not to say that it won't work for others but I found I didn't need it for my build. I looked over what I had painted on the one front panel and decided I needed more color options so decided to check my own acrylic paint stash to see what I had handy and was shocked at how much teal and green and blue I had. I honestly don't remember when I bought it or why but it worked for what I needed it for and I didn't need to spend any additional money. In my stash, I had a couple different types. I'll list the ones I used below for reference.

Folk Art Outdoor in "Surfside"
Folk Art Extreme Glitter in "Aqua"
DecoArt Extreme Sheen in "Aquamarine"
ArtMinds Decor Paint in "Mermaid"
Anita's Outdoor Water Resistant Paint in "Turquoise"
Folk Art Extreme Glitter in "Royal Blue"
Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint in "Blue Bonnet"
Folk Art Metallic Paint in "Aquamarine"

These are the main colors I used but I did find myself mixing colors to get more of the color I wanted. I didn't document this unfortunately but I found when the paint was applied to the dark blue of the velvet , it significantly changed.

On the second panel, I started with one color only and painted the waves all the way down to get the general feel and then, once satisfied with the look, I added additional colors as filler till I was happy.

This photo and the one following it were taken after I had finished both front panels. I was somewhat happy with it but you can see how the paint faded once it had dried. I ended up going back over all the lines again a few days later to darken up the color.

A few of the paints dried darker than others also so that was something I took into account when I repainted everything in the front.

At this point I was in at 13 hours of handpainting and still needed to do the back so I was a bit daunted but I wanted to see it to it's finish. Once the paint had dried, I did a quick try on and this gave me the motivation to continue even though I felt a bit dejected at how much time it was taking.

The next day, I dedicated the entire day to painting the back panels and when I say entire day, I mean entire day. I started at 8am or so and finally finished around 7pm. I took small breaks to stretch and to eat but other than that, painting consumed me. I have that type of personality for better or worse and that's why I get things done so fast. I don't stop when I'm on a mission. padme nightgown

I took some progress shots but not many.

I ended up alternating the shades of the waves to give more depth and I am so glad I did. It filled out wonderfully color wise.

Once the paint had dried, I tried it on to test the flow of the cloak and how it moved and it was so pretty I almost cried. All the work was finally showing results!
Costume Mentor

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "hard part" done, I set about figuring out the sequins. I ended up ordering a few different colors from an Etsy seller and was very pleased with the price, customer service and timing of shipping.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201429692/metallic-finish-faceted-cup-sequins?ref=yr_purchases

I ended up ordering Turquoise, Silver and Royal Blue as well as the White. I wasn't thrilled with the white so didn't use them but I did use the other colors. I ordered 2 packs of each color and each bag had 800 sequins. I ended up using roughly 2,000 sequins total for this part of the outfit and was happy to have a ton at my disposal. I still needed a lighter blue sequin for the flats and I was able to find the perfect color at Michael's.

https://www.michaels.com/holographic-round-cup-sequins-by-creatology/M20000356.html?dwvar_M20000356_color=Crystal

I used the entire bag of sequins for both the flats and the collar. At less than $2 for the bag, it was a great deal!

Here they are in the light.

I deliberately waited to add the sequins to the cloak cause I didn't want to hand stitch 1,000's of sequins so decided to tackle the flats while I decided how best to move forward.

I found this flat on Amazon for a great price ($17) and they fit great. I did size up a whole size per the reviews and I am glad I did. I'm normally an 8 but the 9 fit perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5GORXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The standard says blue flats so this color and style worked great.

I purchased 1/4 yard of white netting at JoAnn's for $0.38 and was set. I placed the netting on top of the shoe and traced around the areas I knew would show on the shoe and added a few centimetres so it would lap nicely to the bottom of the flat. There are no full on photos of her full shoe. There are guesses as to what it could be but no actual confirmed photos of the Naboo symbol so I referenced the ones I did see and created a template to follow and attached the white sequins to that. I then filled in the remaining area with the light blue sequins.

Here is an in progress shot.

Here are the finished pieces almost fully sequined.

This took 7 hours to do and I watched many Disney movies while I did it.

Once the hard part was done, I cut out the pieces and glued them to the shoes using E6000. I let them dry overnight and then cut the excess netting the next day.

Costume Mentor

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that done, I then headed back to the cloak and all the sequins. In my research, multiple sources had stated that hot glue works amazing on velvet. I decided to give it a try and I am SO glad I did. It worked great. Once I figured out the best way to apply, basically going down a panel at a time and applying them, I got through it super fast. I alternated between the teal, royal blue and silver sequins for this. I believe I used close to 22 glue sticks for this. I had purchased a bag of 50 for $3 at JoAnn's.

After all the sequins were applied, I did a try on in full sunlight and it was amazing to see the way the light hit the cloak and made it shine. This try on gave me the courage to keep going even though my back and neck were killing me. Thank goodness for Advil muscle reliever. Laughing

After checking all the reference and discussing the collar with my friend, I decided to make the collar a rectangle and then began the endless handsewing of the 1,000's of sequins to it. This was another full day project. I set up my phone to watch movies and 7 hours later, the collar was done. I alternated between the three colors I had and it gives such a fun color when the light hits it.

Here are some in progress shots.

The full collar measures 34" long and 4 inches wide. I needed to make it wide enough to accommodate for seam allowance and the bands of sequins that hang from the bottom of the collar so that is how I came up with that measurement.

The sequin bands were a lucky find. The ones at JoAnns were either too small, too big or the wrong color so I took my search to Etsy. I found this and it worked great for what I needed.
https://www.trimsbytheyard.com/3-row-starlight-stretch-sequin-trim-1-1-4/

The bands should hit the floor so I measured where they would start and end and multiplied that by 6. I believe I ended up ordering 4 yards which gave me a little bit of wiggle room if I needed them to be longer than I estimated. I believe I spent $12 on it total.

I cut a secondary piece of velvet for the back of the collar and attached the sequin trim to that and the outer sequined layer and it was ready to go.

In the initial try-on before I sewed in the lining, the ribbons bounced everywhere and made it difficult to keep straight so I ended up doing a small stitch on the bands to all of them to keep them in place. That worked great and I moved on to the final stage of adding the lining.

Here is the finished cloak with the sequined shoes.

Costume Mentor

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underdress was "easy" compared to the work needed for the cloak. I already had crinkled chiffon that just needed to be dyed to work and I used that.
Here is the fabric before and after dye.

While this was close, I needed a more teal/green color so I then redyed it in a a green/blue mix I followed on the RIT Dyemore chart. I don't remember the exact color name but it was on the chart in the green area.

The second attempt worked great.

To make the dress, I simply took the fabric and wrapped it around myself to form a tube and cut. From there, I hemmed it and added a zipper in the back to keep it fitted, I wasn't super happy with it being strapless so I added straps on the edges to keep it in place. Here is the dress pre-dye.

I should mention here that I made the dress PRIOR to dyeing it so if you are confused on why it changes colors in the photos, that is why.

I had never smocked anything before so this was a learning experience. I used elastic thread and worked with one of my machines till the tension etc was correct and set to work on the bodice.

I do NOT like smocking. Just saying I hope I never have to do it again. Razz

Finished gown with zipper installed.

Gown try on with padding for stomach.

At the top of the dress is a teardrop sized gem with gems on either side of it. I sourced the gems on Amazon and then handsewed them to the gown.

You can see them pretty clearly here.

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the majority of the work done, I then started searching for a wig. This is the wig I found and it was perfect! The style and the length and the color and, most importantly, the price! With tax, less than $25.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVB6Q23/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d&tag=aiponsite-20&linkCode=ic6&ascsubtag=amzn1.ideas.34PCQREGAJILU

The last difficult part was sourcing the flowers etc for the hair. I found reference that the white flowers are Stars of Bethlehem which is a native flower of Europe which would explain why I couldn't find anything even remotely close here in the US.

I tried Walmart, JoAnn's, Michael's and the Dollar Tree before I begrudgingly visited Hobby Lobby, and of course, found what I needed there. I purchased 2 full stems of white flowers as well as a stem of something that looked similar to baby's breath and was marked down to $1.99. I also found balloon ribbon at Dollar Tree for $1. In total, the hair pieces cost me $10. I dyed the baby's breath green with some Design Masters green spray paint leftover from my Endor Leia build and then spent an evening watching "Jurassic Park" and attaching the flowers etc to the wig.

Here is an in progress shot of that.

A friend had gifted me a jappor snippet for Christmas a few years ago so I already had that and with that last piece, I was done.

From the start of this build, June 8, to the end, June 19, it took a total amount of 79 hours to make this outfit. The benefit of being stuck at home was that I was able to devote full days to it without worrying about work or other activities. I don't think I would have possibly been able to finish this costume in this timeframe otherwise. With that being said, I fully understand why commissions for this are so much. It is a TON of work.

Here is the finished product.

Lastly a fun photo manip done to emulate the water theme of Padme returning to Naboo.

I sent in submission photos last week so fingers crossed on this one.
Very Happy

If there are any questions on how I did anything, please feel free to ask. I am happy to help any others interested in making this beautiful costume.
Costume Mentor
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One: It tuned out nicely. Very Happy
Two: I can't believe you actually did this in such a short amount of time. Razz XD

Btw. how long did it take you to redo the first cloak panel after you changed methods and colors? I'm guessing you just had to add a bit to it so it should be quicker than a full panel from scratch, but probably still a few hours?

It's also always been a favorite of mine, but that cloak... nope! At least not right now. Wink But I do have fabric to make a casual water dress in the stash, so I might do that at some point.

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
One: It tuned out nicely. Very Happy
Two: I can't believe you actually did this in such a short amount of time. Razz XD

Btw. how long did it take you to redo the first cloak panel after you changed methods and colors? I'm guessing you just had to add a bit to it so it should be quicker than a full panel from scratch, but probably still a few hours?

Thank you. It was a labor of love for sure.

With school over and still under quarantine I have nothing but free time so I literally sat for hours straight working on it. I doubt I would have finished this so fast under normal circumstances.

Since the first panel was only one coat of paint, I was able to make it work after another 2 hours or so of adding additional layers. It was strangely relaxing just painting waves. Hours flew by and I would only realize it when I sat up straight and noticed the kinks in my back muscles lol
Costume Mentor
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fast! Very Happy I thought it would be more like three hours or so.

And I'm not surprised it was relaxing; I once started painting door jambs as a way to get a break from my masters. It was very relaxing, too. Razz

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved with no changes needed.

Costume Mentor
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Sache

2019-2020 Charter Committee | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And simply because we finally got the one shot I wanted in this costume, am posting for posterity.

Costume Mentor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: