Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=426799fb9d7dc142d5fc90ffc2e5457fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Lives Matter Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mousetrooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through the thread there are a few posts where people are asking basically for the legion to speak up about other social issues as well and that's not what this platform was ever meant for.
The current national stage is about BLM and I support the Legions stance as well as LF and Disney. But I'm seeing a pattern emerging from this that will be used to have the Legion comment on every cause or issue. Following LF and Disney's statements is fine but if they aren't speaking out on the issues others are suggesting then doing so makes this dangerous territory. If they do it we do it but only following the company line. When or if LF and Disney decide to take up a cause then and only then should we get involved.

My statements reflect a much wider subject than BLM I see being suggested so I figure both sides need to be heard and spoke up.
Gregory ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousetrooper wrote:
Look through the thread there are a few posts where people are asking basically for the legion to speak up about other social issues as well and that's not what this platform was ever meant for.

Can you be more specific? Or is this a worry about future statements?
Olympia, WA, USA
Mousetrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is about future statements that are being suggested about other topics that unless Lucasfilm or Disney is involved with themselves we should not even entertain unless they do first.
Gregory ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousetrooper wrote:
Yes this is about future statements that are being suggested about other topics that unless Lucasfilm or Disney is involved with themselves we should not even entertain unless they do first.

Okay, LFL and Disney are behind the BLM movement. So unless you have other examples, I'm not sure why you're concerned.
Olympia, WA, USA
Erika A La Mode ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we as a group refuse to stand against racism, we become complicit in the systemic injustice against people of color and particularly the black community. There is no neutrality in situations of injustice. If we choose not to act against racism, we are part of the problem.

We have diverse membership who face racism and discrimination not just in the world at large but within the club itself, and that requires action on the part of RL leadership to change the culture of our club and foster inclusion. The club is not immune to the issues going on in the world and so we cannot separate ourselves from the struggle for racial equality. It's naive to think that the club can be a haven from any social issues when those issues directly impact the safety of its members.

Standing against racism should not be a political act--it is basic human decency. The fact that black people are being murdered arbitrarily and face state sanctioned violence regularly is not simply a matter of "social justice warriors" getting upset--it is an issue of human rights. It should never be out of our way to respect someone's right to live.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good practices when posting on Social Media:

It's important to understand the layers and depth of racism in order to be able to identify, address and tackle it.

Being actively anti-racist begins with us understanding the following four dimensions of racism: institutional, structural, interpersonal and internalized.

Now ask yourself and reflect, where can you begin to be anti-racist in your life?

A good place to start right now is on the interpersonal level - talk to a family member, a friend, a co-worker and have that conversation.
It's more than about time.

Last edited by JediXXL (Gil Guemes) on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Maahes (Lee)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the compulsion to back off, to say this isn't the platform and I absolutely understand the need to escape from the real world, now more than ever. But. Some of our fellow members, family, colleagues and friends don't have have that luxury and if they don't then I don't believe we should either, not least as that is pretty much the whole point. Why should some have while others have not, just because of the colour of their skin, sexuality, gender or religion.

The costuming got my attention but it was the community that made me stay and is the element of the club that is most precious and most at risk of apathy or inaction.

I applaud the post but more so the thought, reflection and self critique that went into it. As they say. The first step is admitting you've got a problem.
Ayrihn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the leaders of Rebel Legion,

Regarding this particular matter, you do not speak for me.

I stand by these truths that are self-evident, that all men (=people; =mankind; =humans) are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I do not support or endorse the organization that is Black Lives Matter.

Respectfully,
Erin
theWeather ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrihn wrote:

I stand by these truths that are self-evident, that all men (=people; =mankind; =humans) are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Respectfully,
Erin

Black Lives Matters exists because many, MANY people do not treat the lives of black people as equal nor with the rights to life, liberty, nor the pursuit of happiness. Your statement is a contradiction of itself, and I'm wondering why you think it isn't.
Pride Squadron Mod
TDE 559, TDE - Dart Flower Spire (Sedriss), Global (Art Team)

Daeja Nath, Jedi Knight (Zabrak)
Orsla L'shaak (Darth Antipatha)
Karamii Sheeyo, Jedi Master
punchymango ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrihn wrote:

Respectfully,
Erin

With respect, if you don't see that the black community has been for centuries denied their equal share of that magnificent poetry, that BLM is the latest to carry the banner of a struggle for freedom and dignity that began before any of us were born... I don't know what to tell you. Other than that you're fundamentally misguided.

Supporting Black Lives Matter is a moral imperative, so long as our culture, our society, our government, all behave as if they don't. And until that changes, the struggle is not won.

"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the post I saw a while ago (I think it was on Facebook). It essentially said that "all lives can't matter until black lives matter".

So yes, all lives do matter-- or should matter-- and no race's life is more important or valuable than another, but until it's fully recognized and accepted that the lives of people of color do, too, then "all lives" can't. All lives can't matter if there is one that doesn't.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. What the last three posters said. That's the entire point of BLM. That all men are created equal. So let's treat them that way.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrihn wrote:

Respectfully,
Erin

I respect your opinion. That is what the rebel legion strives to do. Equality is something we all strife for.

In this case . Black Lives DO matter. Black people faced so many injustices over the centuries. It is time to stop racism. Racism is a black-eye to our Republic. This must be stopped.

I am going to stop here. I feel this subject is going to get very heated rather quickly.

Please be civil in your arguments.

We are legion. We are one.
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since RL has a statement of inclusion in its Charter, it is entirely appropriate for us to make a statement about Black Lives Matter -----

from the charter:

Our Values

The Rebel Legion values each member regardless of sex, race, religion, creed, nationality, sexual orientation, age, or physical handicap. We value the enduring passion and attention to movie grade detail fans put forth into their costumes. And we value the charitable goals set down by Lucasfilm Ltd. by giving all we can to the community.

Your focus determines who you are.
Lora Skywalker ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Lora Skywalker wrote:
There's a lot of things here, and I don't think I've got anything to add right now, but I did want to address this issue:

Quote:
I've met members who were told because they're POC they can't costume "main" characters unless it matches their skin tone. That isn't right. We praise inclusivity (that is spelled wrong? I hate spelling) and then tell perspective members that?

As DXO of RLGS I just wanted to say that ANYONE can do ANY character they want, no matter what their skin color is, no matter what their gender is, no matter what their physical ability is!
Are most of the main characters white? Yes, they are. It doesn't matter. Do whatever character you want to do, not what others think you should do.
We absolutely want to see and welcome black, latina, first nation, heck, everyone to the legion and the detachment. Come join us. Be a black Leia or a crossplaying Padmé. It's all about the costume, not your skin color, hair color, your gender or sexual orientation. We promise we will welcome you in our detachment. Smile

Go out and ROCK whatever costume you want to! biker Dance Chewie rock pompom Guard

(P.s. The people saying you can't do a main character because of skin color are probably the same telling others not to do Jar Jar. To Byss with that! Do Jar Jar, too! Ahmed Best would approve).

Yaaaay to this! Thanks. I honestly didn't know the answer to this. Let's be fair, the canon isn't exactly diverse, so only bending allows for other races, etc. And I didn't know if it was OK or not. I'm glad to know it is.

Also, this post brings up an unrelated thing I've wondered about how to fix for a long time. See, I don't know what RLGS is. Or DXO, either. What do those stand for? There is a lot of alphabet soup here that is super intimidating to new members. I'm not a new member, and I still don't know what folks are talking about half the time. Not today's issue. At all. But seriously, the jargon (and the need to join a million groups) needs be streamlined or made to go away. If we want more and new and diverse members, let's make it easy for them to understand stuff. Just something to think on.

But I don't want to derail here.

Black Lives Matter.

I just saw no one else explained the DXO etc. so I thought I'd just quickly clear up the confusion. Smile

If you look to the left above my avatar and rank badge, you'll see 'Detachment XO' as my title. This is usually shortened to DXO. XO stands for 'Executive Officer'. So I'm the Detachment Executive Officer of the RLGS detachment.
Likewise there is a Commanding Officer aka CO. In the legion we have LCO (Legion Commanding Officer), DCO (Detachment Commanding Officer), BCO (Base Commanding Officer), and OCO (Outpost Commanding Officer). All of these have an Executive Officer as well, aka an XO.

RLGS stands for Rebel Legion Galactic Senate. All detachments have a short form that's an abbreviation of their full name. KJO, for example, is Knights of the Jedi Order, RLSC is Rebel Legion Starfighter Command, GSC is Galactic Strategic Command, and TWH is The Wretched Hive. Smile
I personally have references to my detachment in my signature, so that is another clue besides the rank under my forum name. Many other people do the same, so it can help you learn the different shortenings.
The shortenings are fairly standard with the CO and XO being the most used. Of course, it also helps if you know basic military jargon, but it's not really necessary.

Other good shortenings to know:
LCJ - Legion Costume Judge
LMO - Legion Membership Officer
BMO - Base Membership Officer
LPRO - Legion Public Relations Officer
LAC - Legion Administrative Council
RL - Rebel Legion

As far as I know all of these and more can be found in the charter, but I don't think we have a sticky anywhere with a full list of official shortenings used in the RL.

I hope that cleared things up for you. Smile (And anyone else who might have been confused).

You can go back to the topic now. Wink

It is important we do not become complicit in supporting racism or other forms of bigotry through silence and that we show everyone is welcome in our community. That has always been our goal and it is also in our charter where it says you cannot discriminate against people. Let us keep focus on that and show support for each other while we geek out over costumes. Smile

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: