Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=78ca7cb92faa84e63a82674049da2f81Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Lives Matter Support
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinMark ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Black Lives Matter Support Reply with quote

I post this with the intent to question the actions of the Rebel Legion PR team in regards to the official statement regarding Black Lives Matter.

This was the posted statement.

"We at the Rebel Legion hold our members in the highest regard. We strive everyday to be a fully inclusive club and do not ever discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
We support our members in the black community who are out peacefully protesting for change and want them to know that we will always have a place for all.
We do not often like to get deeply involved in world issues because our club is an escape from the real world for a lot of members. This is something that is affecting our members directly though and we want them to know we are here for them. We support change in the world, we are fully against racism of any kind and we will always strive to keep it out of our community.
We are asking our fans and members to also show support in the fight against racism and seek out change in your communities. Be the spark that brings the world together."

I am not alone in thinking that this statement comes across as tone deaf in two major areas.

First and foremost is the lack of acknowledgement for Black Lives Matter. Why is there reluctance to say it? The Offical Star Wars accounts have said it, Dave Filoni has said it, why have we not?

Before anyone makes the comment about the Legion staying out of politics, Black Lives Matter is a human rights issue and not a political issue. So I ask again, why have we not said the words?

Second, the statement implies that these issues are directly affecting our members (and yes they are) but the implication is that the Legion only spoke up because it was being directly affected. This interprets to an implication that nothing would have been said if there was no direct affect to Legion Members. What about the communities that we live in and serve? Have we forgotten about them? What about our support for our communities?

Are we not Rebels? Are we not supposed to stand boldly against injustice and oppression? Are we not the good guys?

I call on the Legion to rethink it's original statement and provide a bolder one that fully reflects our values of diversity and inclusion and is not afraid to stand for what is right.

I also call for discussion about what more the Legion can do to support both it's POC, especially our black members, and it's local communities during this time.

Please keep this thread civil. We are not a group of hate. We are Legion family and we all have a place at the table.
TI-60186

Last edited by AladdinMark () on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gregory ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.
Olympia, WA, USA
positivespace (Cheryll)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it way nicer and better than I could. Replying to publicly show my support.

The official Rebel Legion post couldn't even hit the absolute bare minimum of support by typing out "Black Lives Matter".
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Mark, I’ve also been asking these questions of the Rebel Legion as a whole for the past 5 days. I received no answer publicly, and actually in fact had my respectful comments deleted and the productive conversations included silenced also. I wholeheartedly feel everything you said, and would like to add a section of the email I sent to our LCO and PR officer yesterday afternoon.

To our LCO and Legion PR Officer,

Good evening and I hope this email find you well, wishing you safety and security in this stressful time. I’m writing to you today for two reasons; to urge us as a club to make a firmer statement regarding equality and BLM, and to hopefully discuss our representation as a club on social media recently (specifically Instagram).

I have been a member of Elstree base for two years, and a DCO within our base since last election. I have also copied in both my CO and XO as they have been very supportive of me in both of the matters I would like to discuss. I’d like to preface everything by saying I’m very sorry becoming acquainted has to be in these circumstances, as the last thing I would want to do is cause friction or discomfort in our own club. As well as add any further issues, in this worrying time.

I think we would all agree racial injustice and issues our black members, and aspiring members, are facing right now is very prominent on our radar. I believe our featured posts on LGBTQ+ members of our community during Pride is a lovely sentiment and great to showcase our diverse membership. However to acknowledge one situation of injustice and struggle, without acknowledging another may come across as ignorant. Pride became an accepted and mainstream idea following outspoken POC, particularly a black trans woman, and the rights of LGBT people are so tightly interwoven with those of POC. With the civil unrest and deaths of unarmed black people by police rising daily currently, it disappoints me that individual bases have spoken about this before the Legion as a whole. Lucasfilm have released several statements in support of BLM, so there is no conflict to make it clear to all of our black members, and aspiring members, that black lives matter. Silence is compliance, and it can come across as ignorant or uncaring to not recognise what is going on in the world right now, especially in comparison to some of our sister clubs speaking out on the matter more strongly. After all our black members provide and give to this organisation, a statement of true solidarity to acknowledge their voices and struggles would be of upmost importance.

On both Facebook and Instagram we have a huge platform, one which could be being used to share helpful resources or fundraisers to reach out further, or simply just to show or support in a more meaningful way than ‘we support inclusion’. We need to let all of our members know we have their back. This is in no way trying to discount the importance of LGBTQ+ rights and visibility, but we can lend our support to more than one movement, and the increasing number of unlawful deaths of black people in America as well as the worrying instances of police brutality, deserve to be heard.

I was met with a dismissive response saying our statement had been made and the man who personally wrote it, felt it covered every point. I was also made aware that my wish for a statement on black lives matter (which consisted of 3 comments over different posts on social media) consisted of bullying.

I’m hoping we may get a more decisive response by taking this publicly. The rest of my email to our officers is kept private.

I really hope we can reconsider the pain our brothers and sisters are in. There is no conflict to let people know that Black Lives Matter. We are Rebels, we are meant to be outspoken. No disrespect or confrontation is meant with any post I make, but simply a wish for us to do better and be there for our members more quickly.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well. Wishing security and love for you and your families in this very stressful times.

Much love,

Beth xo
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they
QuiGonJyn ()
Active Legion Member

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Mark. The Legion's statement came off as very forced to me, and I'm also very concerned about the deleted comments on Instagram and dismissal of member's concerns over the past few days. Taking the seemingly least controversial route to addressing this issue, a literal matter of life or death for our Black members, was disappointing, and frankly offensive. We're Rebels. We should be better than this.
Gregory ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Black Lives Matter" is considered bullying, I'm in the wrong Rebellion.
Olympia, WA, USA
RebelinPaisley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this. The RL public statement did not go nearly far enough to take a clear stand. Human rights are not political and it should not be that hard to say the words Black Lives Matter. If the official Star Wars statements can say it, so can we. The statement could have been much more succinct and to the point about what we believe. This is also not a time to talk about how inclusive we are in other ways. This is a time to make a statement about Black lives.

Additionally, to say that many members use RL as an escape from the real world may be true, but it’s important to remember that our Black members cannot escape the real world and the day to day racism they experience even when in costume, even (and especially) from members of our own community. To imagine otherwise is just idealistic and quixotic.
InevitableBetrayal (Arielle)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully written, Mark.
We are the Rebels. We are hope personified. That hope doesn’t come with conditions, what we represent roots out injustice wherever it is and in any form it takes. Right now, our voices are needed to uplift the fact that Black Lives Matter. Full stop.
Roark ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully support all of these messages! Thank you everyone!

I don’t feel that the message given accurately represents the opinions of many members and is far too passive. Worst of all, the Rebel Legion has yet to say the words: Black Lives Matter.
This statement is not political in any way, and is not offensive to anyone who is truly anti-racist. If Lucasfilm is willing to say it, we should be too.

I hope that you can ask yourselves the question, if we can’t stand with an organization that works to put an end to innocent humans being murdered, what do we stand for?
JediMasterLee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Just say it ... BLACK LIVES MATTER Reply with quote

Our members and the communities we serve need to know that we are listening and that we believe Black Lives Matter.
KittyKat (Kat Moore)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. I would also support a stronger stance on Black Lives Matter. This should have been posted from the beginning, but I feel that it does just the opposite of supporting our POC brothers and sisters.
I am also from Elstree Base and am quite distressed to see polite concerns raised by fellow members repeatedly deleted and dismissed.

Could do better. Black lives matter

Last edited by KittyKat (Kat Moore) on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also from Elstree base and would like to register my support for this, particularly in regards to taking a stronger stance. It is concerning that views posted in a polite manner are removed if they differ from those of others.

Could do better. Black lives matter.
lamisseh ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this thread. Like I said on my Instagram, it shouldn’t be controversial to say even just those three words, we represents the ‘good guys’, the rebellion, the people who keep fighting against injustice. We should and we must do better and openly stand for what is right.
I mean, Even lucasfilm wasn’t afraid to openly make a statement in support of John and BLM.
Mayanne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that has been said on this thread! RL needs to take a firmer stance on this and say exactly what needs to be said: Black Lives Matter.

I agreed and liked several of the comments discussing this on the recent Pride posts on Instagram. It frustrates me to no end to see this discussion being deleted by the official RL Instagram. As a member of the LGBTQ+, I absolutely agree with the points Beth made that acknowledging LGBTQ+ rights without also acknowledging Black POC rights is tone deaf and ignorant.

The statement they have released is too broad and I’m very disappointed. As mentioned by several above, Lucasfilm and Dave Filoni have said it. It’s not controversial for RL to say it too!
Larirenshadow (Jen)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said everyone, much better than I could have said anything.

On that most of the time I feel like I can't quite articulate how to encourage people to action because I feel like my privilege gets in the way. I get it, I'm a white girl and while I do worry about how things are progressing because of historical events that would effect me I know that it pales in comparison to what members of the Black Community, Latinx Community, LGBTQIA+ Community, and many other communities experience on a day to day basis.

I feel that the CS at the moment is very white, male based and might not entirely know how to give a statement. I'm not excusing them, I'm saying I truly think they thought this was the right statement.

We need to say more. At the very least we should have said Black Lives Matter.

We do need to make a powerful statement and make it within the Legion itself. I've met members who were told because they're POC they can't costume "main" characters unless it matches their skin tone. That isn't right. We praise inclusivity (that is spelled wrong? I hate spelling) and then tell perspective members that?

Let's take action. Would it be possible to form a group that would be able to work with CS and be able to not only create an internal dialogue but also make forward facing posts with statements and guiding members to organizations to donate to or how best to look up a protest in their area? The majority of the group should be non white. While anything I can say is great it feels almost preachy coming out of my mouth as, again, it's not my shared experience and there are people who are much better qualified than I am to educate people on this.
DS 11526
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: