Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5f3ffbf5ce36d2cc93695ab8b3ed43c0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Farm boy Luke Skywalker Questions. Help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trotts89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Farm boy Luke Skywalker Questions. Help please! Reply with quote

Hello! So I am working on putting together a Farm boy Luke cosplay. I have a pair of Levi blue jeans that I tried bleaching and after 2 attempts, they still didn't bleach! Does anyone know how to bleach jeans or is there a better alternative? Also, any leads on his shirt? I know it's a white karate gi and I can probably find one in a martial arts supply store but I feel I can find better else where. Thank you in advance!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen used pants were indeed Levis but they were tan/ off white colored. Mark Hamill talked about this when the screen used pants were auctioned off a number of years ago. He was likely referring to the factory that made them who didn't dye that batch of pants blue like most denim. Unless the costume department had some sort of special method of bleaching blue jeans that I am unaware of, it's probably a safe bet to assume they just used natural off white denim jeans from off the rack.

As for the tunic this also is a misunderstanding of a statement made by John Mollo in the Dressing a Galaxy book where he states that Luke's shirt in the first film was a "Jujitsu style shirt." Many people assumed that he was referring to a Gi, but a Gi typically has a more form fit with rows of top stitching on the collar and shoulder seams running vertically where the sleeves are attached to the body, plus is made of cotton or a cotton blend. The screen used Luke shirt was custom made for the film from Viyella (a wool cotton blend) that softens as it is washed. Also this shirt was looser fitting with wide sleeves that sloped on the underarm as well as featuring a seam along the top of the arm which is unique as most sleeves feature a seam only on the underarm.

The shirt was made from 4 pieces of material consisting of a back, two fronts and a collar that wrapped all the way around the length of the shirt.

As far as I'm aware a Gi is an accepted piece for the Luke ANH Farmboy costume and is the only Jedi costume in the entire Legion where it's acceptable, though you would have to check with your local garrison on that as well as the most current standards. Honestly I really think that standard should be amended because it's not factual to what the real shirt actually was and if being accurate to the film costume is the goal then the use of a Gi should only be allowed as an initial approval until a more accurate shirt can be sourced.

I'm not a costume judge so I couldn't make that call but that's just my take on it and having researched and replicated this costume for the last 20 years (literally) it's frustrating to see this misunderstanding of what Mollo said being perpetuated as though it were fact when it's not.

Here are some shots of my costume from 2011. I've since remade it and it's even more accurate. The last shot shows the 4 pieces used in the shirt's construction.

2011NYCCme by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6Zuj5]
2011NYCCme1 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6Zuhw]
2011NYCCme2 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6VqHX]
2011NYCCme3 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6ZvES]
TUNICANHLUKE by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147278196@N03/][/url], on Flickr
Trotts89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I appreciate all the info you have given me and thanks for the visual references of your costume. May I ask how you did your pants?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my pants from scratch but it's going to be easier if you buy tan/ off white Levis.

Perhaps these?

https://www.zappos.com/p/levis-mens-514-straight-chinchilla-twill/product/7555271/color/409274?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla_g&utm_campaign=171091891&utm_term=pla-__iv_p_1_g_8671302331_c_44852363491_w_pla-89686613851_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r__x_pla_y_15872_f_online_o_29171480_z_US_i_en_j_89686613851_s__e__h_9003409_ii__vi__&utm_content=29171480&zap_placement=&_ivgu=eb7ab11f-73ff-4c02-be45-35a84855ee4a
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but why would he need to contact the local garrison? They have no say on what gets approved by the Rebel Legion. Neither does the local base. Only the LCJs deal with approvals.

As far as I know you can't find a gi in the right cut for Luke, so making it yourself or finding someone who can make it for you would be a better course of action.
The sleeves not being set in tends to be the biggest problem, though the non-reenforced collar also differs from a standard gi and other martial arts wear.
Otherwise the construction does look similar to a gi, just don't think a normal gi can be used for the costume. It's a common misconception. Smile

Best of luck with your project.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make is to contact someone who knows better than I do about costume approvals. Not being part of the Legion myself I have no idea how any of it works.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make is to contact someone who knows better than I do about costume approvals. Not being part of the Legion myself I have no idea how any of it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: