Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=56abe8309a439eb5f47710e0f4dae13fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

An Apology

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> D'Qar Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev vader

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: An Apology Reply with quote

Attention Troopers:
I am in an unenviable position where I come before you to make an apology.
The Australian 501st and Rebel Legion CO’s and XO’s are currently in a discussion regarding the upcoming Public Liability Insurance renewal.
I was asked by one of the Rebel Legion BCO’s, Sair Steele, to provide her with detailed information regarding who donated to last years PLI, and their donation amount.
I provided her with a list of names of those who donated, but declined to provide her with the amount each person donated, asserting that this was Confidential Information. To provide that information would be clearly ethically wrong of me, and I naively assumed that she would assume that too.
Nevertheless, she chose to not only seek the information from PayPal, but to subsequently publish it in a spreadsheet alongside your name, Unit and TKID.
It had honestly never occurred to me that she would go to such outrageous lengths.
I find it morally and ethically reprehensible that she took this action, and I apologise unreservedly for my short-sightedness in predicting her actions in this matter to all members who donated to the 2019/20 PLI and whose privacy has now been disgracefully breached.
TigglesToggles ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

Are you talking about the publicly accessible information that can be obtained by clicking the PLI donations link?

I was not logged into the forum nor into paypal to see this information, I merely clicked the link that you provided.

This gave me personal names and amounts for every transaction made to the 2019-2020 PLI

How is this classified information when literally anyone can see it?
Swanmor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please provide evidence of the breach of privacy. Also as this matter has been formally handed to,legion command you should not be commenting on this matter to every base in Australia.
TigglesToggles ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

I've noticed you've removed the links from the PLI threads,
if you require evidence of public access for future reference I have retained screenshots of the process before you edited your posts.

Please keep in mind, it's all previous years that can be accessed, so if you plan on actually making all the information confidential you should probably go back through previous years as well.
TigglesToggles ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, would the report be anything like this publicly accessible report done up by the redback garrison for the 2017-18 PLI, which contains names, membership details and amounts donated?
http://501st.com.au/forum/PLI_report.php...em=PLI2017
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now Legion Command nor the LCOGs have not received any such charges, other than here in the Forum.

Our LCOG will be looking for such proof and allegations.

--Bill

Moxxxie (Jacqui Doyle)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody with a professional background in data governance and security, I'd like to bring up a few points.

As a contributing member of both clubs, I consented to having my data shown on the Paypal site for contributions to the PLI. That was part of the terms and conditions that I agreed to as part of donating to the Paypal Pool. By accepting these terms and conditions, it also gave me a way to see how much money had been collected for the PLI that year, and how close we were to the target amount.

So far, so good.

What has occurred since then, is that my PayPal data has been harvested, along with my Base and Garrison membership information - and that personal information has now been distributed to 3rd parties without my consent.

This action, I am told, was performed by a person in a leadership position. This person has been conspicuously absent in explaining her actions, or apologising for this breach of trust.

The fact remains that my data has been harvested and distributed without my consent, which is a direct infringement on GDPR and Australian Data Protection Act (2018).
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't have to point this out, as it has been done so numerous times on the 501st hellscape conversation.

The "conspicuous" absence is due to the BCO having recused herself of any public comment until such time as the hearings and investigations have been completed.

What 3rd parties exactly are you referring to.
Because as has been pointed out, all of this information is currently locked down, pending the aforementioned investigations. And yet you continue to discuss these things in a public forum. So if you wish to continue this tirade, and refer to the distribution of your data, please, to what 3rd parties has it been distributed.

As far as I can see, the information gathered related DIRECTLY to information, that you yourself have admitted to freely giving, for the purposes of PLI, and has been gathered from VERY public places (as has also been discussed at length to which Kev has himself breached this data privacy, and has apologised for and made movements to rectify) directly for the purposes for future PLI. You have also a couple of times claimed to be in possession of dossiers, and a redacted spreadsheet of this so called data breach, and yet..... you also say you can not discuss this information because it is locked down due to the current investigations. You really aren't making sense.

The OAIC outline for what constitutes a breach that needs reporting as the following:

>there is unauthorised access to or unauthorised disclosure of personal information, or a loss of personal information, that an organisation or agency holds
>this is likely to result in serious harm to one or more individuals, and
>the organisation or agency hasn’t been able to prevent the likely risk of serious harm with remedial action

I'll address each point directly here:
Considering the information was gathered from PUBLIC places, can the organisation (501st/RL) actually be considered to have been HOLDING the data (as this implies that it is secure).
Second point; as this information initially pertained to PLI payments in the past, and I believe it was being used to discuss PLI payments for the future, and not, instead, to cause harm to those whose information it contained....
Third point, steps have already been taken to remedy the breach of the information. Whereby Kev admitted he had made an oversight in the security of the information and has already taken steps to remedy it, by securing the information. Additionally, as you continue to point out, the other documents are supposedly locked down pending this investigation. From where I stand, looks like a lot of leaks have been plugged......

I would also like to draw your attention to the legislature that you are referencing.
As the 501st and RL are not for profit, and (particularly localised here in Australia) will likely fall beneath the turnover threshold $3million annually, it is NOT subject to the Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB) schemes obligations

Please sit down, you are embarrassing.

I would like for this thread to also be locked down, in parity with the other posts across the Australian bases.
strider (Tim Helbing)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the threat of legal action and liability, I am locking this thread for a cooldown period. If anyone has questions or additional information please contact me directly via forum PM or at cog@rebellegion.com

Sincerely,
Tim Helbing (Strider)
Rebel Legion Captain of the Guard.
strider (Tim Helbing)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement from Legion Council: "Sarah Steele, Tython Base Commanding Officer, is a member in good standing. There are no outstanding charges against her and she has the full support of the Legion Council in the execution of her duties."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> D'Qar Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: