Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=22be04d918717dc78e0d49c6e1a2aeedMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corellian_Creator (DJ Burgess)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
You did a great job on that helmet, Corellian_Creator. Most impressive! What did you use to cover the metal microphone arm?

Thanks Blue Banshee Leader, I appreciate that! In the photos that's the glare from the mic arm making it look that way lol. However, later this week I'll be getting some gray heat shrink, which I'll use to cover the arm on this helmet and any other helmet I repaint (I disassembled and cleaned another last night that I'm prepping for a Blue Leader repaint).
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellian_Creator wrote:
You did a great job on that helmet, Corellian_Creator. Most impressive! What did you use to cover the metal microphone arm?

Thanks Blue Banshee Leader, I appreciate that! In the photos that's the glare from the mic arm making it look that way lol. However, later this week I'll be getting some gray heat shrink, which I'll use to cover the arm on this helmet and any other helmet I repaint (I disassembled and cleaned another last night that I'm prepping for a Blue Leader repaint).
Ah! When you put the shrink wrap on, will you have to take the microphone tip off to slide the wrap on, or will you be splitting the wrap down the center?

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellian_Creator wrote:

Ah! When you put the shrink wrap on, will you have to take the microphone tip off to slide the wrap on, or will you be splitting the wrap down the center?

Ideally, I'll be pulling one of the ends off of the mic - either the faux mic element, or the hinge part - and sliding the heat shrink over the metal bit. I prefer not to split the heat shrink down the middle, as it could come apart and fall off later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of an update on the next (of the three squadron leaders) helmet I'm working on. I figured, because Rebel Legion approval modifications came up earlier in the thread, I'd show the soon-to-be Blue Leader helmet in progress... which I've glued/filled in the button to make it static (the electronics are completely shot, so it made for a perfect candidate).

More to come...

The pics are on my Instagram... sorry I couldn't get them in here quite as easily.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ye54sHxJh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
richmbailey ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Hasbro Repaints Reply with quote

I did a couple of Hasbro repaints as well. A Biggs and Dak/Standard version. I decided to do a Red 4 version next.

I think they are great and repainting them is easy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hasbro Repaints Reply with quote

richmbailey wrote:
I did a couple of Hasbro repaints as well. A Biggs and Dak/Standard version. I decided to do a Red 4 version next.

Those look fantastic, Rich! Well done, man!
richmbailey ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hasbro Repaints Reply with quote

Corellian_Creator wrote:

Those look fantastic, Rich! Well done, man!

Thanks for the comments!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hasbro Repaints Reply with quote

richmbailey wrote:

Awesome job on those!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellian_Creator wrote:
Little bit of an update on the next (of the three squadron leaders) helmet I'm working on. I figured, because Rebel Legion approval modifications came up earlier in the thread, I'd show the soon-to-be Blue Leader helmet in progress... which I've glued/filled in the button to make it static (the electronics are completely shot, so it made for a perfect candidate).

More to come...

The pics are on my Instagram... sorry I couldn't get them in here quite as easily.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ye54sHxJh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Nice job on those helmets!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex! I appreciate it, man!

As far as the color of the heat shrink tubing is concerned, I came across some gray HS tubing and gave it a shot... I'll post some pictures shortly, as I wouldn't mind feedback on the color accuracy of the shrink (I'm undecided on whether it's too light, or right on).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Another Black Series repaint... Reply with quote

I know this is the "X-Wing" thread, but if anyone's curious or interested to check it out, I've posted my Gold Leader repaint/mod here:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112395

Feedback and comments are always welcome - thanks guys!
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Corellian_Creator,

DJ, I saw you disassembled the BS helmet to repaint.
Was that easy?
Sean and all you other repainters, did you also take apart or just mask it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TFWBWYA

Costumes: Luke Skywalker
(Lars Homestead/Tatooine) | (Death Star Escape) | (X-Wing Pilot) | (Snowspeeder/X-Wing) | (Bespin Fatigues)
Blue Squadron Leader (Sean)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A New Hopeful wrote:
@Corellian_Creator,

Was that easy?

TFWBWYA

Iíve completely disassembled the Poe helmet in the past. Iíve started to appreciate leaving them built for a few reasons: easier to transport if Iím taking it with me somewhere to work, I donít have to worry as much about damaging the paint with reassembling, and itís a time safer.

BUT, I also havenít figured out how to break down the Luke helmet yet...so I donít know lol
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Squadron Leader wrote:
A New Hopeful wrote:
@Corellian_Creator,

Was that easy?

TFWBWYA

Iíve completely disassembled the Poe helmet in the past. Iíve started to appreciate leaving them built for a few reasons: easier to transport if Iím taking it with me somewhere to work, I donít have to worry as much about damaging the paint with reassembling, and itís a time safer.

BUT, I also havenít figured out how to break down the Luke helmet yet...so I donít know lol

Good to hear your experience. Thank you.

Costumes: Luke Skywalker
(Lars Homestead/Tatooine) | (Death Star Escape) | (X-Wing Pilot) | (Snowspeeder/X-Wing) | (Bespin Fatigues)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A New Hopeful wrote:
@Corellian_Creator,

Was that easy?

TFWBWYA

It was pretty easy to get it apart, to be honest - and I'm getting used to it now, so my speed is picking up Wink. I can see how it'd be a time-saver to leave it together and mask it, but keeping the electronics and visor away from any overspray and/or potential liquid damage from weathering washes is one of my considerations while working... And it's part of my flow, now.

That being said, the one tricky part of getting it apart is popping the mohawk cap off - at this point I put a rag or one of the blue "shop" paper towels over the visor (to protect it from possible scratches) and use a flat-head screwdriver to pop the cap off. That's really the only tricky/pain in the arse part of the process for me.

Hope that helps!

MTFBWY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: