Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d23e1f95d49aea78fb0a5dedca165617Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Corellia Qi'ra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: WIP Corellia Qi'ra Reply with quote

Finally pulling the trigger on a Corellia Qi'ra costume! It's the final costume to complete my collection of Qi'ra's outfits from the movie, so naturally I'm super excited about it. Progress will be slow but I will try to detail as much as possible to help those who want to make it themselves. First up is the shirt!

I used red and black knit fabric with a strip of thin black leather across the collarbone. I drew up my own basic pattern for it, which ended up looking like this. The bottom hem will end at around the hips, so there will be plenty of overlap under the skirt.

I cut one of each in the red and the black knit. The black pieces and the red pieces got sewn together at the shoulders, and then sewed the red and black pieces together at the hem around the neck with the right sides together and the black leather strip pinned into the hem on the right side. Shoulder hems also got sewn together in the same way. Press out the collar hem with an iron and sew the left side on top of the right side very close to the hem up until the flap folds over. Sew the back and front sides together, stitch the black strip to the left side just under the flap and hem the bottom. Voila, ready to go!

Captain Solo (Evert Joosse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! 😊
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along! I think the shirt is my favorite part of her look cause it can also be worn in everyday life lol.
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Coming along! I think the shirt is my favorite part of her look cause it can also be worn in everyday life lol.

All Star Wars costumes can be worn in everyday life, right?

Or is that something only I do? Shocked
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knocked out the skirt today! Pretty pleased with it considering how quickly I got it done. Sadly, I don't have pictures of the pattern to share this time.

The lower front panel of the skirt is riveted on the sides as necessary. It comes down to just below my kneecaps. I also threw on the leggings I'll be using for this for the picture. I still have to add the grey elastic to the cuffs of the leggings. Obviously I have yet to coat it all in white paint. I'll be doing all of that in one go when I finish sewing everything else.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

You look amazing.

Well done. Smile
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pinned together a mockup of what the jacket is going to look like, minus the sleeves. I'm pretty pleased with how it looks. I just think I need to add a bit more to the collar at the top of the left shoulder and going down the back.

I have the greeblie printed and ready for pickup, so I should be able to get progress done on the actual jacket later this week! Thanks to Pamela for sharing the print on Thingiverse!

Boots and wig have also arrived, and the screen accurate belt greeblies have been ordered and are on their way. I also have the grey elastic attached to the leggings now. I'm excited, things are coming together!

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy working on Qi'ra this week! The jacket and all 3 bracelets are finished! I threw everything on tonight to get an idea of what it all looks like so far. Also gave me an excuse to utilize my ring light Very Happy

All that's left is to make the belt and weather everything down. The wig is also going to need some TLC before I do approval pics. But I'm nearing the end here with her!

I took a bunch of pics while working on my jacket, which I will share here sometime this weekend for those interested in figuring out how to make it.

Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how that all came together so nicely. Great job! You look fantastic!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base
KJO/Nexus Temple
Docking Bay 94/Mountain Mist Hangar Bay
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeblies came in, so now the belt is all done! I did it out of real leather, which meant hand sewing all of the topstitching and greeblie loops. My fingers are super tender from it, but its super worth it because I'm really happy with how it looks.

I knocked out all of the weathering on her this week to finish up the costume. I took approval pictures tonight and sent them in. Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news! Qi'ra is approved!

I also promised that I would share how I made my jacket, so here it is!

I used a lightweight light grey twill and cream colored fur for the jacket. I used a slightly more plush fur, but a thinner fur can also work for this just as well.

I drew my own pattern for this, so I highly recommend starting with a muslin mockup to get the sizing right on everything before cutting into your fabric and fur. You want it to fit loosely on you, this isn't perfectly form fitting like the Kessel Run jacket is. The bottom hem should overlap a little bit with the waistband for the skirt.The patterns ended up looking like this once I was done.

Back panel. Cut this on the fold.

Front panel, left and right sides are labeled. The (very sloppy) red line is where you'll sew the neck and shoulders to the back panel in one long stitch. Trimming those sharp corners where the neck and shoulder lines meet will help the front panel lay nicely and not bunch awkwardly. This the hardest part of the whole jacket. The rest is pretty simple after you get this part drafted and sewn on the twill and fur. Don't sew the side seams yet.

You'll cut the same pieces out in the fur. Make sure you flip the front pattern so you get the fur cut out on the right side. Sew the shoulder and collar seam, and side seams.

Next, cut out wide strips for the waistband at the bottom of the jacket. My goal was to have 1 1/2 inch wide band, so I cut out 2 1/2 in wide (gives me 1/2 inch seam allowance). Cut a little bit off of the bottom of the front and back twill panels (I think I cut 1 1/2 inches off), and sew the waistbands into the front and back panels. Now you'll sew the side seams.

Next step is to sew the fur to the twill. Pin along the collar, front sides, and bottom hem. Make sure you pin the panel for the greeblie in this too! I sewed a little panel that had an extra 1/2 inch of twill around the greeblie.

Once you sew the hem, pull it right side out through the open armhole. It should look like this now.

Next is the sleeves! I left these unlined. I didn't want them to look super poofy with the fur, and it also prevents me from overheating in Florida! Again, make sure this sleeve is loose fitting on you. I cut a sleeve pattern that is a full sleeve length from shoulder to wrist. I pinned a piece of 1 inch elastic in the center of the sleeve on the wrong side of the fabric, this piece comes down to just below my elbow, but could be a bit longer depending on how long you want the ruched sleeves to be.

Next you'll form the gathers on the sleeve. To do this, you will stretch the elastic as you sew it to the fabric. The pin across the elastic in the above pic is where you'll start stretching the elastic. Sew along the edges of the elastic until you run out of stretched out elastic. A center line drawn down the whole sleeve will help you keep the elastic centered. The sleeve will look like this when finished. The elastic returns to normal length when you let go of it thus forming neat gathers down the center of the sleeve.

Next, I sewed 1 1/2 inch wide bands that will wrap around the cuff of the jacket. I also sewed 1 inch loops into the sleeve just below the end of the elastic. One end of the band gets sewn underneath the loop so that the length of the band points towards the back (as seen in the pic below). Sew the sleeve seam up and sew them into the armholes. It should look like this.

Hem the sleeves with the end of the loop to secure it in place. You should be able to pull the band through the loop. I sewed the band to the sleeve along the under seam to keep it in the place I wanted it, which was just slightly tightened around the cuff.

And voila! Glue on the greeblie, splatter it with white and brown paint, and you have a finished jacket! It looks pretty complicated at first, but it's really not that hard. And the weathering was lots of fun to do!

I'm looking forward to trooping her once this Covid 19 stuff blows over! Very Happy

Captain_Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Very Happy ! Looks great Wink !

All the best
Alex

"Never tell me the odds!"
(Han Solo in Star Wars - "The Empire Strikes Back")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: