Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f2551ccda0c19abac2df5c99ee3cf19dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Starting a generic Alliance Officer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Original Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Starting a generic Alliance Officer Reply with quote

Hello to everyone!
I'd like to realize a generic officer like Captain Antilles, but I need your help because I'm in trouble with some points...
1) The yoke on the jacket: is it fabric or leather like?
2) The shirt: I think it's an RFT shirt, but brown, isn't it?
3) It's acceptable a slight difference in colour tone between pants and jacket: is it true?
4) The boots: is it acceptable a zip on internal side?
5) I already have a Dh-17 for my Endor Commando: can I use it with the Officer? May I use an appropriate holster?

Too much questions, I know!! But I need your help, Thank you!

- We clones were bred for combat -
Cpt. Rex
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many questions, these are very appropriate!

1) Everyone that I have seen has used fabric for the yoke, and that is what appears to have been used in the auction photos that have shown up on the internet. The most important thing is color. Captain Antilles and the other Yavin High Command like Dodonna have a color somewhere between a harvest gold and a coyote brown, though darker browns have been accepted. Rogue One has a lighter yellow-tan color. Be sure to post pictures of the fabric you intend to use in different lighting situations before you go through the trouble of sewing them on.
Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158007783@N02/albums/72157661648014798

2) The shirt is indeed a RFT pattern shirt with a bib from the collar to the navel. ANH officers are colored brown. Rogue One has some tans as well.

3) The jacket and pants should be as close as possible in color and sheen but slight variations in fabric are usually allowed. Be sure to post photos here for feedback.

4) Zippers on the internal side are allowed if they are discreet (same color as boots...etc)

5) I was approved with a DH-17, though none are explicitly seen on screen. There might be an instance in a comic somewhere. Hedge your bets by providing pictures with and without questionable items.
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quick and exhaustive!
Thank you very much!
I need to start the process of fabric selection, both type and colors...I'v read somewhere of "bottomweight twill"...are there other suggestion for the fabric?
I need to give as much as possible info to my seamstress and let her understand (with the help of pictures in your album too) what we need to proceed...
I think she will sew the jacket and the shirt, I think I found the pants as suggested by a member (Dockers pants in tan); I've already a pair of boots: I think they should work, but I'll share some pics asap. Smile
Thank you again!

Cpt. Rex
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloneHeart wrote:
Very quick and exhaustive!
Thank you very much!
I need to start the process of fabric selection, both type and colors...I'v read somewhere of "bottomweight twill"...are there other suggestion for the fabric?
I need to give as much as possible info to my seamstress and let her understand (with the help of pictures in your album too) what we need to proceed...
I think she will sew the jacket and the shirt, I think I found the pants as suggested by a member (Dockers pants in tan); I've already a pair of boots: I think they should work, but I'll share some pics asap. Smile
Thank you again!

The pants and jacket will be a similar fabric type, so you can use the dockers to help you get a feel for the jacket. Smile As far as the color matching goes, if you look at Antilles jacket and pants in this reference, you can see that they do not match exactly. Close is perfectly fine.

Twill is a weave, or how the fibers are put together to create the cloth. (The fibers are what the material is made of; wool, cotton, polyester, silk etc.)

Bottom-weight basically means a medium to heavy weight fabric- think like what you would wear for pants. The Dockers are a bottom-weight and likely twill. There is a post in the command tutorials section here that links to a bunch of resources explaining fabric types:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110687

The jacket yoke is very definitely a woven fabric. I used a cotton broadcloth for mine. I'll see if I can find the fabric information, but it will likely be better to take a reference picture to the store and try and match the jacket base and yoke to the reference. There is some variation seen in the colors even in ANH, although that may be due to lighting. (The yokes in R1 have more of a yellow undertone, Kona Honey is the fabric we found to be the closest match for those. For ANH, you want more of a tan.)

ANH Yokes:

Here are some more reference albums that you may find useful:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFEwDSur00qQ-hSnbaAMhQ3cjYrLGRRf
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BVqbpWPnA-K29pP-aSiRG8QDUU9deJKH

The shirt fabric is similar to what you would find in a men's button down shirt. There is variation in color here as well with the shirts ranging from a tan to a medium brown. They are indeed the same style as the RFT shirt just in a different color.

Some construction resources:

1. The shirt can be scratch made by modifying a standard men's button down pattern such as McCall's M6044 to change the front opening and eliminate the sleeve cuffs:

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6044?page_id=103

This shot of Antilles may be helpful:

Here are some pictures of the Blue RFT shirts with similar construction that may also be useful- you can see the double panels and the hidden snaps:

I also recommend looking at Del Goren and the other communications officers because you can see the same style shirt in context without the coat.

2. Existing shirts can be modified and combined to create one. This is the same way most people do their RFT shirts. (Just make sure to use the brown shirts the officers wear rather than the blue the fleet troopers do.) A tutorial can be found here:

https://studiocreations.com/howto/rebelfleettrooper/main.html

and another here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYq5yRUKwXDv3kpbwrZg3ikqYff_F91r

Keep us posted! We are happy to help answer any questions that come up during your build.
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)

Last edited by RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen) on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, and a huge thank you for your help! Very Happy
I've read the post explaining the types of fabric, it's interesting; I've bought a pair of Dockers 5 minutes ago ("Dockers Bic Pacific Washed Khaki Slim Tapered - Stretch Twill, Pantaloni Uomo" on Amazon), I'll take some pictures and I'll post togheter with my boots. We agree with my seamstress (and you confirmed that) to choose the jacket's fabric following dockers pants.
The yoke: thank you again, now I understand well, great suggestion!
The shirt: great reference pics, I didn't found...I think it's a quite easy work to do Smile
Well, I'll wait for pants and I'll update with pics!
Thank you so much!

Cpt. Rex
RogueLeader1995 (Giulia Andriulo)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buona fortuna per il costume Stefano 😁

Good Luck on your build, Stefano!

CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazie Giulia! Solo ieri sera ho ricordato che abbiamo anche il detachment italiano!! Embarassed

Thanks Giulia!! It was only yesterday when I thought we had the italian detachment too!! Embarassed

Cpt. Rex
RogueLeader1995 (Giulia Andriulo)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ti aspettiamo! Per qualsiasi cosa chiedi 😬

CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, finally I've got some pictures for my pants and boots; I found this pants in a local store and I like them more than Dockers!
They're cotton 95%, sand colour and they're very comfortable.
I forgot these leather boots in a closet, and luckily my wife reminded me!! I saw an already approved member with the same boots, so I think I will use them with a little modification: I will flat the sole, obviously leaving the heel.
What do you think about? Can I go with both pants and boots?
I took pictures with cloudy weather, so I have "cold" colours...
Thanks for your help!!

Cpt. Rex
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloneHeart wrote:
Hello everyone, finally I've got some pictures for my pants and boots; I found this pants in a local store and I like them more than Dockers!
They're cotton 95%, sand colour and they're very comfortable.
I forgot these leather boots in a closet, and luckily my wife reminded me!! I saw an already approved member with the same boots, so I think I will use them with a little modification: I will flat the sole, obviously leaving the heel.
What do you think about? Can I go with both pants and boots?
I took pictures with cloudy weather, so I have "cold" colours...
Thanks for your help!!

The boots should be fine once you smooth the bottoms. Smile It's difficult to tell with the pants without seeing how they fit you? You also mentioned the lighting was making the colors cooler- are they more tan in person?

This is the color to shoot for:

Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
anti-hero ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the boots are converted so they arent as booty anymore then they could work great. You can check out my generic Rebel Fleet Officer and ask me via PM if you need any tips.

My Jacket is a Coyote Brown Rothco one from the States.
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all again for your support. Smile
I'll start working on my boots, great.
Maybe I'll take more picture of my pants with a sunny weather, and maybe when I'm wearing them Smile
I'll update you soon, thank you very much!!

Cpt. Rex
CloneHeart ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Even if here in Italy (but also in other countries) we're going through a difficult period, I'm trying to continue working on my costume Smile
Here's a picture of myself with pants and boots and...oh my god, such a terrific difference between a completely cloudy day and a sunny one! I know it's not easy...thinking about my Endor trooper, I can say these pants are similar in color to my Endor shirt/pants; maybe, a very very little more warm.

Talking about the helmet, I'm actually working on a vacu-formed kit, very beautiful and sturdy. The radio even has the antenna: do I need to install it or not? I'll post some pics asap...
Thanks again dear friends!!

Cpt. Rex
anti-hero ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antennas are seen but imho you dont need it (looks cooler though) If your boots lose the black bottom and the zipper they could fit pretty well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Original Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: