Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=38111fa898a3547e83cf6bf5e49afa82Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Toy Rifle painted realistic - could these cases impact us?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Toy Rifle painted realistic - could these cases impact us? Reply with quote

Article about Assault

From the article:

Quote:
Investigators collected the rifle used in the robbery, which was determined to be a toy assault-style rifle that was painted to look like a real gun.

Has anyone else seen this happen in their area? Could instances like this start to impact us and the costuming/cosplay community in general? I'm not looking to start a gun rights spat here. Go to Twitter and have it out there. Wink Laughing

But seriously, we saw one European Garrison striped of their prop weapons. I don't want to see it here.

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Founder - Blue Ridge Base

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
Walker (Ashley Walker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Toy Rifle painted realistic - could these cases impact u Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
Article about Assault

From the article:

Quote:
Investigators collected the rifle used in the robbery, which was determined to be a toy assault-style rifle that was painted to look like a real gun.

Has anyone else seen this happen in their area? Could instances like this start to impact us and the costuming/cosplay community in general? I'm not looking to start a gun rights spat here. Go to Twitter and have it out there. Wink Laughing

But seriously, we saw one European Garrison striped of their prop weapons. I don't want to see it here.
Very Much so!

We had an issue here in Melbourne Australia, many years ago (over ten). Where a member of the 501st was off to a photoshoot for a newspaper. They stopped for a bite to eat at a shopping centre food court, unaware that their E-11 was visible in their bag.
    A concerned member of the public notified security, security notified the police, the police sent the Special Operations Group (SWAT equivalent). The member was crash tackled to the ground, charged, and had to face court on Firearm Offences! The person now has a Firearm Offence on the police record, which is viewable any time the record is needed (like seeking employment... etc) and is also ineligible to purchase a real firearm. Real Consequences for a Plastic Toy!

Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not if it will happen, but when. It will happen, in time. I'm surprised we can still take weapons into cons, etc, at all. The day of no gun props is coming. It's too much of a risk. They are already disallowed for any events at schools or near schools. I've seen parades now disallowing them, too. I wouldn't allow them if I had an event, and more and more organizers are taking that same stance. Why take the risk of your event being the one where a mistake causes an arrest or takes a life? Not worth it.

For now, the stance is just be careful and cautious, as I understand it. That's why we can NEVER point a gun prop at ANYONE. EVER. Etc. But yeah. It's not if, it's when.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Rocket Va'Bri ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many reasons I went with a Jedi costume, at this stage it's okay in Australia to carry a Lightsaber, but carrying firearms is a big no no.
Legion PR Officer
Legion PR Officer

Medals: 10 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really just depends on where you live. Always be conscious of local laws where you are and make sure you follow them and act as if your toy gun is real.

They are going to be a lot more lenient here in Texas obviously than Australia, but that doesnt mean I go around waving my DH-17 around. It stays in my bag until I get to an area where I am allowed to have a prop weapon. I even have my license to carry and still don't.

Also, dont rob pizza guys. (The article you posted and such)
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTexas wrote:

They are going to be a lot more lenient here in Texas obviously...

Also, dont rob pizza guys. (The article you posted and such)

I agree - don't rob pizza guys. Fairly obvious, no?

But Dallas Holiday Parade this year: no weapons of any kind. I've seen more and more local events only allowing sabers. I don't blame them. I'm more afraid of having a weapon here (in Texas) than I would be elsewhere, because others might be more likely to be armed. And all it takes is one overzealous armed person....nope. Largely Jedi here, too, thanks.

But yeah. Just...be careful, folks. It's scary out there.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTexas wrote:
...act as if your toy gun is real.

THIS.

Stellar Corona ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been standard practice in Michigan in all 3 of the big clubs to make one of the first questions we ask when we get an event request "are prop weapons (blasters, knifes, staffs, lightsabers, etc) okay?". Sometimes it's a yes, sometimes it's a no, sometimes it's a yes assuming they pass inspection by event security, venue security, state police, etc. Ultimately, listening to the hosts instructions and being aware of local laws is essential to protecting out members, but when in doubt, leave them home.
Lora Skywalker ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's generally not a problem where I live, because you're obviously in costume, but people are still told to be mindful of what they do and when.
Of course, my society is generally pretty low on firearms, so people don't assume it's a real one when they see it with your costume.

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuff a bright orange 'ear plug' into the barrel of my DL-44.
the prop can never be made to fire a projectile...but it still raises a few eyebrows.
the orange plug is enough to satisfy the prop-check-people at conventions.
(thsee earplugs can be easily removed).

[IMO] these plugs should be standard-issue for all cosplayers with prop guns.
nothing screams "fake gun" like a bright orange plug inserted into the barrel.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap my blaster with orange vet wrap - it only sticks to itself and won't damage paint.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--256-3m-4-vetrap-bandaging-tape.html

Jyn is also a fairly "normal" clothing sort of character too. I just look like someone with a weird and vaguely 1980s fashion sense. So yeah, walking around with Jyn's blaster makes me nervous because it looks too real (and the baton too, it's debatable whether or not even a hollow plastic one counts as a real/illegal one under vaguely worded local laws). I keep both in my bag until I reach the prop weapons check. Sometimes I don't even put the holster on until I'm inside the venue.
Tauntaun Scout ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frankly tend to dislike prop weapons. I want my weapons either to be real, as in muskets and swords and things for historical events, or, in a science fiction setting, I'd rather just carry comm links and macro binoculars and stuff. The Star Wars guns in particular look like real guns, cause, they were. If someone felt like throwing a ton of money at a professional gunsmith, they could have an E-11 that shoots bullets.

I really wanna make (or more likely, commission) a prop comm link, that's just a little speaker that plays randomized tracks when I push the talk button. These audio clips would be of static, and of C-3PO saying things like 'Are you there sir?'. Then I can let kids try to talk to 3PO, but the "interference from your solar system must be blocking our signal".
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a slowly emerging problem for science fiction conventions for decades. I am astonished when I think of what we got away with carrying around in the 70's and 80's back when we could only costume for ANH, ESB and ROTJ. But over time, the hotels and convention centers where the conventions were held started getting nervous and peace-bonding was introduced and finally some weapons were outright banned. The severity of the restrictions varies from event to event, but I can't think of any convention where all firearm props aren't required to be marked in some way to show that they aren't real.

I got the toy DH-17 for my RFT costume, but I ended up never painting it and dressing it up like the movie prop because there were too many places where I could not take it. I carried it as-is (glaring toy-colors and all) in my holster at the last Celebration. I made a pike weapon. Sure an 8 ft pole has its own issues, but no one is going to think it is a firearm.

Right now, the only places I can think of where a prop blaster won't be a potential problem are:

- Masquerade stage (with Masquerade Director's permission)
- Parade, movie-opening or other pre-arranged public event
- Photo-op with lots of people taking pictures
- Setting of a fan film

Your focus determines who you are.
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore second post --- the web page gave me an error message when I posted so I tried it again. Not sure what happened.

Your focus determines who you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: