Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=61cb4c507feb619277c7a849f130f682Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Trench Trooper Belt Grenades (with holder)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arson_Dex (Lawrence)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Hoth Trench Trooper Belt Grenades (with holder) Reply with quote

I wanted to add some belt grenades to my Hoth Trench Trooper costume to add to the authenticity.
I looked at the costume references and some movie screen shots to get an idea of what they should look like

I went to home depot and got a few things I could use to replicate them.
1" PVC pipe, 1 1/2" rubber washers, a 3/4" bolt and matching nut (not pictured). In addition I used two caps from toothpaste tubes and some thin ABS plastic from a "for sale" sign. I also used some rollers from rolls of dog waste bags.

I estimated the size of the cylinder portion to be about 4 inches long and cut that length from the PVC pipe.
From the abs sheet I cut a disc the same diameter as the pipe.

I glued the discs to both ends of the pipe and sanded the edges flush.

One of the rubber washers slides over the pipe about 1 1/4" from the end and glued in place.

I cut the rollers to about 3/4" length and then cut them in half lengthwise.

I then glued the half rollers to the pipe above the 1st rubber washer 180 degrees from each other.

The second rubber washer slides over the pipe and on top of the half rollers. and glued in place.

On the bottom end I glued the toothpaste tube caps.
I cut two triangular pieces from the ABS to fit along the caps and down to the edge of the pipe.

I glued the triangle pieces in place (180 degrees from each other) and then sanded down any excess.

For the top I made a mold from the bolt and nut and casted a resin piece from it. I used a simple mold and casting kit from the art store.

I glued the casted piece to the top of the pipe section.

Applied a coat of primer.

Some metallic silver paint.

Finally some black wash and some clear coat.

To hold the grenades I made a holder that would fit on the belt I had made. For the belt holder I took some scrap white fabric and cut a piece that would be about 7" x 5" plus seam allowance. I sewed some interfacing to the fabric.

I then sewed some 1 1/2" elastic loops to the fabric and interfacing.

I folded the outside in and sewed the piece together to make a tube.

I turned it right side out and pressed the it down so it sits flat on the belt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: