Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0c0a1f6450dd72bfed1714efc9b1f19eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kyle Katarn Build - Alderaan Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocinante ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Kyle Katarn Build - Alderaan Base Reply with quote

Can't believe I've waited this long for this but I feel it could be helpful!

I have to take the time to digitize my pattern for Kyle's shirt, but I went through a lot of iterations. I took an old white long sleeve I had and just cut that up and traced it out, but that proved to require a lot of refining. I started with a few reference photos...

that led me to this rudimentary sketch:

From there, I did my best to create a pattern out of that shirt. I went through 4 test pieces and about 6 re-drawing of my pattern before I had everything symmetrical and evenly proportional.

It could still use some work on the sleeves but thankfully the bracers take care of that. More on those in a bit.

Anywho then I needed to source the fabric. It's really hard to tell but there is some lines to his shirt, those old '90s cutscenes don't really "cut" it. I asked a friend and we agreed the closest equivalent was most likely Crinkle Cotton. I found some in a nice beige here that was perfect! https://www.moodfabrics.com/off-white-crinkled-cotton-polyester-jersey-306169

Once I was done, this was my final result:

Paid special attention to the lines and it came out *perfect*

With that done, and my boots being just the ones I use for Anakin, I thought I was in the bag. I just had some leathers to find...

For Kyle's belt/holster, I looked everywhere. Then I just searched "Kyle Katarn Belt" on google and BAM:

http://deltaleatherworks.com/portfolio-item/kyle-katarn-belt/

If you don't know Delta Leatherworks, this guy is great! Really excellent stuff and it's exactly his belt, which I was having a lot of trouble finding myself. He's professional and happy to update you as he goes along. I was able to send him the dimensions of my Bryar pistol and he was able to make it perfectly to size! As for the props I will go into that shortly, but more leathers.

Next was his shoulder pad, which I knew wasn't gonna just pop up on Etsy. It's an iconic piece of his wardrobe and I wanted it just right. I referenced some Youtube tutorials on painting leather-like finishes and got to work on the EVA foam. I cut them to shape, heat gun to bend them into shape, contact cement for glue, then sanded the top instead of heat gunning it for a rougher "suede" look. Then painted a mix of brown with light flecks of white. I'm really not great with EVA so I'm not the best resource for it, but here's the pics:

I superglued some wicked strong magnets on underneath and it's super easy to pop on! I recommend four in a North South East West configuration for the best attachment.

As for the bracers, I originally just purchased some genuine leather ones on Etsy that looked right, aside from lace to tie them. My judge did not like the lacing, found it not accurate enough, and requested I find a different method.

Ugh!

So I went ahead and made bracers the way I made the shoulderpad, because hey if it worked once, why not twice? (it did)

Used a zipper this time which is WAY easier to put on anyways so this was a blessing in disguise tbh

Also these are a little too long, definitely make them shorter than your entire forearm to avoid my mistake!

Gettin' close!

With that out of the way, I was onto the props.

Kyle only requires the Bryar Pistol and his Lightsaber, but I believe a good Kyle cosplay requires his father's disc as well, and a communicator on his right hip!

The lightsaber is from LDM Sabers. It's excellent quality, but does get hot and I have a power issue I need to send it back for (it's under warranty thankfully) but since the CRL is for Jedi Knight, not Outcast, you'll need this blade over SaberForge's excellent Jedi Outcast Katarn hilt.

https://lightedsabers.com/product/df2-katarn-qr/

As for the Bryar Pistol, I found the files on Thingiverse and assembled them myself. I make props regularly so this was just a dream come true. Files here:

Bryar Pistol: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:928825

Disc: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1291640, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1291637, and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1291635

Bryar pistol was easy, super glue together and bondo to hide the seams. I hate working with Bondo but it no question sands the best so it's worth the hassle. Always sand contact points so that the glue has more to grip! I was lazy here though and used fiberglass epoxy to coat and smooth the print. Now adays I'm on the "sand and filler prime to death" side of the fence because dammit it gets results.

Then it's on to pretty painting!

I felt that it looked too clean this way, so I gave it a good dark wash and I love the results:

Quick Before and After:

And here's the Disc:

So onto the whole reason, beyond wanting to help other Kyle Katarns along their RL journey, is the damn beard. I have got everything else down, but because of my genetics I do not have the capacity to grow a beard. So I have tried a few ways to get this to work. I've tried fake beards, but they're too thicc for Kyle (and didn't look great tbh)

I've tried just some light light black makeup but I did not have the right brushes, was in a rush, and Kyle's beard is a little more brown than I have it here, according to my judge Smile

But now I'm starting to challenge myself to find some actual good makeup techniques. I've landed on a blend like this, that I've just submitted. Hopefully this works and I can make it good enough that I don't need my facial hair to succeed. This is with a stippling sponge, brown grease makeup (cream based on the way) and black cream based makeup.

Thoughts? I'm so damn close to approval I can just taste it. Or maybe that's the makeup.

Anyways, thanks for reading, hopefully I'll have an update soon!
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it isn't the makeup. Wink

Getting really close, I hope all goes well.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Rocinante ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir!

I actually just heard back, and the beard test was a success! I should have the official approval photo soon, but here's the ones I created for my 'gram

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up. Smile

And yeah; creating a good looking fake makeup beard is hard.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Rocinante ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!

I totally underestimated the difficulty of achieving that effect properly! But it's already been so helpful, for stuff like my Tony Stark cosplay!

Here's the approval photo to celebrate Very Happy

[img]https://imgur.com/PMUbz2h[/img]
ionicdesign (Michael)

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, thank you for keeping at it and seeing it through.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: