Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=63c2da56095a9bb3f7cc3e3f538df6f3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Lebo's Yavin Operations Officer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebo1138 (Jason Leibowitz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: WIP Lebo's Yavin Operations Officer Reply with quote

Hello,

I always wanted to make a Han Solo or Cassian Andor costume for RL. But I do not want to shave. So I was so happy to see the Yavin Operations Officer. I also saw some art that was mashing up Obi Wan Kenobi and Cassian Andor. And knew I had to do this costume.

Jacket and Shirt are from Oasis. Shame on me for not sizing up when ordering from China. I know better. I also requested rank and com badge NOT to be included. But they didn't listen. I'll have to get a seam ripper remove the default greebles and add my own. Also- commander or Captain is an acceptable rank - yes?

Ironically - I have Khaki pants on and saw cargo pants are optional. But I'll probably get cargo pants.

Belt - I own a PLCE belt. But it is Grey. I just got a green one that I can use as well. I like the grey one because it is my Blue Squadron belt and it has all the greebles on it. But i can not use grey - correct?

Boots - Like - can I get cheap cosplay Cassian boots? I do own a pair of tan chelsea boots. But i am not sure how to alter for the CRL. I see the tutorials on the cuff. But- I am not crafty like that. Not sure what to do there.

Here are some pix of my progress.

Thanks for any feedback
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason great to see more RO officers Smile

Has your jacket got the action back pleats?

Any rank below colonel is fine....rank badge is optional

PLCE Belt needs to be tan or olive.......or you could go with the RFT type buckle with the leather belt.

Cassians boots are described in option 1 below:

Option 1:

-Dark brown leather (or leather-like) lace-up combat boots with two matching flaps covering the laces.

-Bottom flap of boot has screen-accurate buckle. The buckle’s bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. The box parts of the buckle are black and the wire parts are silver.

-No visible zippers, but discrete inside zippers are permitted.

(Screen used boots are Frye Sutton Tall or Veronica boots)
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own these boots. So - I need to make the cuff somehow. Or get cassian boots. I was also told that the cassian shirt and RO officer shirt is different. So I'll need to replace.

Here is the view of the rear of the jacket from the website. What are action back pleats?

Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:

Has your jacket got the action back pleats?

Ok - i googled action back pleats. And yes - I do believe the jacket has them.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Lebo's Yavin Operations Officer Reply with quote

Lebo1138 wrote:
Hello,

I always wanted to make a Han Solo or Cassian Andor costume for RL. But I do not want to shave. So I was so happy to see the Yavin Operations Officer. I also saw some art that was mashing up Obi Wan Kenobi and Cassian Andor. And knew I had to do this costume.

Jacket and Shirt are from Oasis. Shame on me for not sizing up when ordering from China. I know better. I also requested rank and com badge NOT to be included. But they didn't listen. I'll have to get a seam ripper remove the default greebles and add my own. Also- commander or Captain is an acceptable rank - yes?

Ironically - I have Khaki pants on and saw cargo pants are optional. But I'll probably get cargo pants.

Belt - I own a PLCE belt. But it is Grey. I just got a green one that I can use as well. I like the grey one because it is my Blue Squadron belt and it has all the greebles on it. But i can not use grey - correct?

Boots - Like - can I get cheap cosplay Cassian boots? I do own a pair of tan chelsea boots. But i am not sure how to alter for the CRL. I see the tutorials on the cuff. But- I am not crafty like that. Not sure what to do there.

Thanks for any feedback

First of all, yay!! So glad to see another person doing this costume! It is one of my absolute favorites. Smile

Here are a few notes on this build that may be helpful for you:

Shirt: As you noted, the shirt that Cassian wears is the hero version and has a mandarin collar instead of the traditional double pointed collar worn by the other officers we see. The double pointed collar version can be done in a couple of ways.

Jacket: So the Oasis jacket is actually a pretty good base, but there are a couple of modifications that will need to be done in order to make it approvable.

Belt: As Empathy mentioned, the belt will need to be either olive or tan if you go with the PLCE option. Is the green one you mentioned green green or olive? Even if it is more of a forest green, you can paint it. Jenna used this method when she and her husband were working on his Cassian build:

You also have the option of using the RFT style belt. Phyllis put together this great tutorial for making RFT belts that includes directions for the octagonal buckle:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pIiQbnZQCdboctMKBsAUnfNPvzioMOin/view?usp=sharing

There are a ton of vendors on Etsy who make these- here are a couple:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/587113027/rebel-octagonal-buckle-replica-for-rebel?ref=shop_home_active_32

https://www.etsy.com/listing/503823282/rebel-alliance-luke-style-belt-and?ref=shop_home_active_88&frs=1&crt=1

Boots: You're in Endor Base, right? Personally, I love the Chelsea boot option- they give this version an added distinctiveness that make it more obviously not Cassian. I bet we can find someone local to help you with the cuffs if you want to use the boots you already have. That's actually a really good project to learn on! Mike has made them I believe.

If you prefer to go the Cassian boot route, these Cassian boots on ebay are ones other members have good luck with. They were mentioned in the Cassian facebook group, but I have not seen them myself in person.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Jyn-Erso-and-Cassian-Andor-Boots-Cosplay-Shoe-Women-/152566085270?

Hopefully this helps! So jazzed to see how this turns out!
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge), ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: WIP Lebo's Yavin Operations Officer Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for all the info below. I do have one quick question. Do I need to remove a pocket off the jacket? Or is that just a tutorial on how to use a seam ripper?

RebelLady wrote:
Lebo1138 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for any feedback

First of all, yay!! So glad to see another person doing this costume! It is one of my absolute favorites. Smile

Here are a few notes on this build that may be helpful for you:

Shirt: As you noted, the shirt that Cassian wears is the hero version and has a mandarin collar instead of the traditional double pointed collar worn by the other officers we see. The double pointed collar version can be done in a couple of ways.

Jacket: So the Oasis jacket is actually a pretty good base, but there are a couple of modifications that will need to be done in order to make it approvable.

Belt: As Empathy mentioned, the belt will need to be either olive or tan if you go with the PLCE option. Is the green one you mentioned green green or olive? Even if it is more of a forest green, you can paint it. Jenna used this method when she and her husband were working on his Cassian build:

You also have the option of using the RFT style belt. Phyllis put together this great tutorial for making RFT belts that includes directions for the octagonal buckle:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pIiQbnZQCdboctMKBsAUnfNPvzioMOin/view?usp=sharing

There are a ton of vendors on Etsy who make these- here are a couple:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/587113027/rebel-octagonal-buckle-replica-for-rebel?ref=shop_home_active_32

https://www.etsy.com/listing/503823282/rebel-alliance-luke-style-belt-and?ref=shop_home_active_88&frs=1&crt=1

Boots: You're in Endor Base, right? Personally, I love the Chelsea boot option- they give this version an added distinctiveness that make it more obviously not Cassian. I bet we can find someone local to help you with the cuffs if you want to use the boots you already have. That's actually a really good project to learn on! Mike has made them I believe.

If you prefer to go the Cassian boot route, these Cassian boots on ebay are ones other members have good luck with. They were mentioned in the Cassian facebook group, but I have not seen them myself in person.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Jyn-Erso-and-Cassian-Andor-Boots-Cosplay-Shoe-Women-/152566085270?

Hopefully this helps! So jazzed to see how this turns out!

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: WIP Lebo's Yavin Operations Officer Reply with quote

Lebo1138 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the info below. I do have one quick question. Do I need to remove a pocket off the jacket? Or is that just a tutorial on how to use a seam ripper?

No pocket removal needed! I left that on because it's a good demonstration of what you do after taking out the seam to get the area where the stitches were to disappear. Totally should have clarified, sorry!
Mon Mothma, OT Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge), ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to clarify about the PLCE belt- the original greenish color in the picture showing how Jenna painted her hubby's for his Cassian is fine for a generic. (Cassian's needs to be specifically the tan, but generics can also be olive.) You would only need to paint it if it were a brighter green than the drab/olive/OD or a gray/blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: