Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ca6eb4dfb35c0b90b384ff95965c860dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano Rebels Headpiece

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mindputtee ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Location: MD
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano Rebels Headpiece Reply with quote

I'd promised a few people I'd make a post on how I made my headpiece and I'm finally getting around to it! This was made with expanding foam, quilt batting, polyfil stuffing, powermesh, liquid latex, and acrylic paint.



I started off with an expanding foam core for the top of the head and montrals. The picture is from the first version I did where I was trying to do an articulated lekku thing but it wasn't wiggly enough so I ended up remaking it and cutting off everything below the first cut. I unfortunately don't have a picture of the actual second edition at that stage but this shows the process at least.



I then sculpted monster clay forms for the lekku, one for the back lek and a simple tube one for the front lekku. This picture is before I smoothed them more.



This picture shows me checking general size and shape of the back one.



I then hung that monster clay form and began brushing on layers of liquid latex, letting them dry in between. I kept brushing until the monster clay started to look cloudy underneath. I probably should have done a few layers more as it tore easily so learn from my mistakes!




Once I was happy with the thickness, I liberally applied baby powder to the outside and then gently turned it inside out as I peeled it off the form, applying more baby powder. Lots of baby powder is crucial as fresh latex is very eager to stick to other latex and WILL tear when you try to separate it. After I got it off the form, I stuffed the individual lek with polyfil. Here you can see the two front lekku after stuffing before being added to the top part. And then here's all 3 lekku ready to be stretched onto the headbase.




I covered the headbase in foam batting to smooth out lumps and bumps and give an overall even appearance.



(This is once again a picture of version 1 not version 2 but I forgot to take a picture of this step for version 2 so it is what it is) I then used a light layer of liquid latex to "glue" the powermesh over the batting. I found this to be useful because the batting will soak up a LOT of liquid latex if allowed to. By doing a light layer first it fills in some of the holes so that subsequent layers will stay more on the surface rather than soaking down in. I've also heard it can be useful to do a quick shot of spray glue on this part to keep it more on the surface too.



Once that was done, I stretched the latex lekku over the little nubs that were ready to receive them. I recommend making the nub in a tapered shape but larger than the diameter of your latex lekku so that you DO have to stretch it a little bit but the taper will help disguise the join as the stuffing in the lek will fill in the space. I don't have a static picture of this stage but I do have a video where you can see how gosh darn wiggly it was!

https://i.imgur.com/9oNEzHX.mp4

I then used toilet paper and layers and layers of liquid latex to disguise the seam and strengthen the adherence of the lekku to the base. This took some practice as the toilet paper kept wanting to peel up if my sponge got a little too dry so it was best to put down some latex, press the toilet paper into it, then a quick dab of liquid latex and leave it be until dried then repeat.



After that the hard work was done! I mixed some craft paint (folk art acrylic) with some liquid latex and covered the whole thing. I recommend a sponge for this application not a brush as you can enhance the skin texture look with that. I did mix a bit of grey and some ivory tones in because I didn't want a pure white look as she isn't pure white.



Then I painted the stripes and it was all done!



My reaction when I was approved with this headpiece:

https://i.imgur.com/uRDl24l.mp4

(not actually, this was taken at dragoncon before I'd finished some of the details on the breastplate and armguards but I love the way it wiggles!)

I hope this helps you all! Let me know if you have any questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group