Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=faca9ff904db18fe0f7cf29d922d5fbeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Guidance! Generic Jedi General

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlaskaBoushh ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Guidance! Generic Jedi General Reply with quote

Might have posted in the wrong place, but looking for advice for a generic Jedi General look...hoping to go with the tight sleeves inner tunic option. A wonderful designer has made a quick sketch that met with some opposition.

Hoping to get more clarity!

Thank you so much in advance for your time and patience!

[img][/img]
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drop your image on here it might help? Smile

Ghost Base
Legion Costume Judge
Former LMO
First Jedi General in the Legion
501st SL-9640
www.sabermasters.org
AlaskaBoushh ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your time!

Here are the two sketches...I know the immediate issues with the obi being too wide and I believe it seems to show hood coming off of the tabards (which would probably also be frowned upon), also the two inch seam is not easy to pick out.

Hope this works:

I was hoping to go for a textured tight, long-sleeved inner tunic (I know it looks a bit like arm wraps, but it's a kind of light ruching!). Sleeveless outer tunic that goes to the floor...as I said above, in the image it looks like hood is coming out of tabards, was going to request that changed to come from outer tunic.

The second image which has a shorter, hip length outer tunic and long skirt:

Finally, here is artist's description of project/fabrics/materials:

The idea is that of a costume that represents the light filtering through the tree's foliage, playing on brown colors for the base, and beige and yellowy greens for the sheer parts that will be worn over it.

The inner layer is a tunic of non-sheer material. Felting is not among my skills yet, so we'd have to go for something like boiled wool, rough, textured and with an organic look. It will be raw cut, and will reach the hips. This tunic will have sewn-in sleeves of cotton crinkle gauze, in a different shade of brown. The same material will be used to make an obi belt that will go from the bust to the hips. These two parts will really be painted and worked on to make them look more like trunk and branches, and some embroidery will be added to achieve the look. These parts will be very solid, present, non-sheer.

All the rest will be made in silk organza.

You'll be free to wear any pair of dark brown leggings or trousers you like underneath, as the costume could be quite sheer there. These, the boots, and the belt with all its accessories- saber included- will not be provided by me.
You'll have an irregularly pleated (large, flat knife and box pleats) skirt in silk organza, dyed in several brown and greens, getting darker at the lower edge. Ideally, it would reach between the calf and the ankle.

On top of that, you'll have broomstick pleated silk organza tabards. At the front they'll look like tabards, at the back they join and become a cape. The hood is attached to them.

At the bottom, they're pierced with a pyrographer.

Weathering and hand painting on the whole dress to achieve a cohesive look.

Please, don't be afraid of hurting my feelings if you see something that is a hard NO. Though I wanted something unique, my garrison is on the smaller side and so I definitely want to meet the standards for approval, so we get another costume in the mix for troops. Basically, are subtle gradients in fabric allowed? What about the more "sheer" proposal?

Again, thank you so, so much for your time and patience! Really appreciate your experience and guidance!

In short, from the standards page...what I was going for:
-Outer tunic 2 inch collar, sleeveless, extend to floor.
-Full inner tunic, tight textured sleeves to wrist.
-Tabards...if long outer tunic, do they have to be to floor? (Says variable length?)
-With the scarf style tabard, can they have a cape as artist proposes?
-Was hoping for Style 4 with armor...just heavy gauntlets (no laces). Am I correct that this means no shoulder armor?

IMAGES DIDN'T POST...WORKING ON IT!
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All answers are to the best of my knowledge, not a judge. Also the description changes somewhat from place to place, so apologies if i say something you already know. Here we go:

Bust to Hip Obi is not approvable. Per the standards, The obi wraps around the waist, and should be approximately three times the width of the belt and/or of a similar width as the tabards.

Silk Organza may be an issue. I'm not aware of any canon Jedi with sheer/translucent fabrics. You should provide photo references to verify this is something that exists in-universe.

Tabard design is close to OK if you make it less cape-like. See Pong Krell in episodes 4.7-11 of Clone Wars. His tabards are a single panel across the back, divided into separate pieces in the front, and open at the sides. The Obi and Belt are worn over the tabards. A separate cape that hangs down freely is not permitted, and would probably shift around a lot if only held in place by the Obi/Belt in the front.

The hood should be attached to the Outer Tunic, not the tabards. Not a requirement, but you'll be glad you did--use a fabric for a hood that you can use fabric stiffener on so that it's not flopping and shifting around everywhere, and blowing back off your head from the breeze of a brisk walk. Go-to brand is "Stiffy." (Yes, really.)

Sleeveless OT should not extend past the shoulders.

Nobody tell Anakin you can't wear Shoulder Armor with Gauntlets! Seriously, though, the requirement is just: Gauntlets or Forearm Armor. You may mix and match armor from the "Optional Requirements" section as you see fit; just be sure that if you go "realistic" style or "animated" style, keep it consistent across all your hard parts. It's not specified, but your Gauntlets should be relatively solid--think Anakin or even the Mandalorian's Armorer, not The Dread Pirate Roberts. They were part of the design to make things easier on the animators who would otherwise have to match loose cloth physics to fast lightsaber combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: